“Close to everything and a quality facility” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

You added Sofitel Sydney Wentworth to your Saves list
Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61-101 Phillip St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #48 of 184 Hotels in Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We arrived at the hotel around lunch time and we were welcomed by a very friendly staff member. Our room was not quite ready, understandable as we were earlier than official checkin time, so we went out and had lunch nearby. There were further delays on return but we were given a drink voucher to be used in the bar area to apologise for this, good customer service indeed!

Our standard room for 3 nights was on the 17th floor, odd shaped room but we rather liked that it was different. The bed was super comfortable, bathroom clean and adequate, love that it had a walkin shower, dislike bathrooms with shower in the bath, very quiet room too. As others have mentioned, we noticed a stale/musty odour in the room which we certainly have not experienced in other hotels of this rating anywhere else. Is it the drains in the bathroom, is it mould somewhere?

Location is great, we walked to Circular Key, The Rocks, George Street and even down to the bottom of Chinatown! Public transport is frequent and convenient.

One issue with this hotel has me concerned though.... to explain, I am an asthmatic and am very sensitive to chemicals and strong odours/frangrances and this can certainly affect my lungs.... In the foyer area there is a constant aroma of perfume/aromatherapy being pumped in via the airconditioning which is certainly offensive to me and potentially hazardous to my health. Of course to get to the elevator to our room we had to walk through this area, which I did very quickly, to sit in the lounge area here too was not an option for me either! When I needed to wait for my husband one time, I sat in the adjoining shopping arcade.

I did ask the staff on the front desk about this 'aroma' and was told that it is a signature fragrance used in all Sofitel Hotels. I do wonder if this is harmful for those working in this atmosphere day after day???

Would I return to this hotel again, certainly not, and that is because of the aroma in the foyer and that mustiness in the room. Now that I am aware that tfoyer aroma also common to all Sofitel Hotels, I would not book in any of them either.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

While it is always wonderful to read positive comments I do sincerely apologise for the impact that the Sofitel scent throughout the foyer had on your stay.

The Sofitel Scent is one of the brands magnifiers and is always a talking point however in this instance the affect is not so positive. The scent is not harmful to any of our guests or ambassadors who work within the hotel; and I do truly hope that you did not experience any troubles since.

Thank you again for your time and should I be able to assist you; please do not hestiate to contact me on H3665-GM02@sofitel.com

2035
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Courteous & helpful from start to end - that's was my experience with every staff I interacted with. Nothing was too much trouble. Attention to detail & service with a smile. Opulent lobby - nicely perfumed & well-appointed. Bedroom was spacious & well laid out - and quiet. Bed was very comfortable - pillow menu is a good idea. Bedroom has a small alcove with a small sofa. The glass shelvings add a touch of class & a sense of space. Bathroom was meticulously cleaned. Only small complaint would be the water pressure but with heritage buildings perhaps it is the old pipes. Room service was attentive. Restaurant was bright & cheerful. Food selection was of good quality. Very centrally located. Not much to dislike.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the garden courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
It was so pleasing to read your review and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful Sofitel experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I will be certain to pass them on to our entire team.

We certainly take pride in our guest offering and it is feedback such as yours that inspires our team as they strive to exceed our guests, expectations.

Our engineering team are always investigating the pressure of the water within the rooms; as I investigate as to their latest findings in relation to your comments.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete the on line survey, I do hope we can welcome you back again for another positive experience.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed for three nights at this hotel which is located in the business centre of Sydney. It is a few minutes walk to the botanical Gardens, many of the museums and Circular Quay. Our room was newly upgraded and the bed really comfortable, it was as I imagine sleeping on a cloud must feel like. We really enjoyed the bar which had a great atmosphere and was conveniently situated next to the Foyer. The Foyer looks really attractive at night with candles burning and flowers scenting the air.

You really get the feeling that there are a lot of people working to make this hotel as good as it could possibly be and I commend them for that. I would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I was most pleased to read your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience. Please accept my most sincere thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

The Hotel certainly is centrally located and I am glad that this was convenient for your needs. I am also pleased that you enjoyed you Sofitel ‘My Bed’ experience. The ‘My Bed’ is a feature of all Sofitel Luxury Hotels and enjoyed by many around the world.

Again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you, your family and friends back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The stay and the service were great until the week after when I was charged a further $500.00 by the hotel with no notification. Still working out now. There was no mention of any other charges nor any mention of pre-authorisation.
Not happy

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

While it is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay; it is disappointing to know that the pre-authorisation process was not explained and then the delayed charged to your account.

If I may be able to assist in the resolution of this I would like it if you would contact me directly on H3665-GM02@sofitel.com.

I can image the inconvenience this may have caused and I do sincerely apologise.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent 4 days in Sydney, traveling with 3 other couples. Our room was very small and had no drawer space at all for clothes. We had to live out of our suitcase during our entire stay. The other couples had larger rooms but again there was no drawers for storage I need to note that there were 2 very small drawers in the closet but these were taken up by a hair dryer and laundry basket .

Also charges for wi-fi were exorbitant. We all found free wi-fi within one block of the hotel.

We all felt this was not a five star hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I am disappointed that your experience did not live up to your, and our, expectations.

I do apologise that you found the layout of our rooms not suitable for your stay. The hotel's heritage listing does limit us in the designs we are able to implement into the new structures.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the internet throughout the hotel. We are regularly investigating the trends throughout the market in regards to internet and find that our products and offerings are in line with the other hotels throughout the city.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is through honest and constructive feedback such as yours that we are able to better improve the service we offer our guests.

Hotel Manager

Been to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth? Share your experiences!