“Very disappointing second time around” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

You added Sofitel Sydney Wentworth to your Saves list
Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61-101 Phillip St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #48 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Perth
“Very disappointing second time around”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The fist time we stayed at the Sofitel in Sydney was fantastic. We stayed on the club floor for four nights and could not fault the Hotel. However when went went back last November we couldn't believe it was the same Hotel. There were so many things wrong, no phone connection, sheets too short for the bed, locked out of our room. We put this down to the fact this was a one nighiter for us so we ended up in one of the 'ghost rooms' We extended our Check out for a couple of hours and when we were in the club, my husband specifically asked the concierge to ensure our key would work, of course it didn't . The communication seemed to be missing on this visit but too many other things went wrong as well, and this was only over the space of 24 hours. My husband wrote and listed all of the other misses last year and hasn't heard back from anyone, interesting. Last visit there for us, too many other nice Hotels in Sydney to enjoy.

Room Tip: Check the room before taking the key.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
It is with sincere regret that I read your comments regarding your Sofitel experience. I cannot apologise enough for the issues that you encountered and I encourage you to contact me directly to further discuss your stay on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com. Your comments have certainly highlighted a number of areas of concerns and please rest assured that your feedback has been addressed with our management team.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is through honest and constructive feedback such as yours that we are able to better improve the service we offer our guests.

I truly hope that your experience has not impaired your trust in Sofitel Sydney Wentworth and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a good location, but i don't think this is enough to be outstanding, or even very good. My taxi arrived and when the bellman opened the door, I smiled and gave him a cheery hello. He gave me absolutely nothing and looked away. Minus 1 tripadvisor star, certainly 1 of the worst first impressions in a hotel, and I've stayed in many. Check-in was ok and like some other sofitels, I have to listen to all the disappointments - wifi at an extra charge of $30, 1 device at a time, breakfast at extra $45 etc. what a way to try to get return customers. The lobby was decent and looked nice with the giant floral arrangement

The room however looked dated and small. Yucky browns and no shower, just a tub which I believe is a safety hazard. There is no toothbrush either so bring your own. I also had to spend some time catching a moth in the room

Room service was ok in terms of service and quality

This hotel strangely has no gym or pool and luckily I was only here for 2 nights and busy most of the time for work. If I was here on vacation, I would be pissed

I'm sure there are many better hotels in Sydney and looking forward to experience them soon

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I sincerely apologise for the sub-standard level of service you were subjected to during your stay.

There is simply no excuse and I was extremely disappointed to read your feedback. I invite you to contact me on h3665-gm02@sofitel.com to further discuss your stay and should you choose to stay with us again, I would be pleased if you could contact me personally so that I can take care of your reservation.

Thank you for taking the time to write and I hope to hear from you in the near future.

N.Z.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Sofitel Sydney Wentworth was excellent when we stayed there in January 2012. Our room was very comfortable and soundproof, and the service provided was courteous and efficient. The restaurant is very good indeed. The hotel is very conveniently located, close to Sydney's classy shopping centre and also within walking distance of Circular Quay. We would recommend the Sofitel to couples like us leaving on or returning from a cruise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept my most sincere thanks for taking the time to share you lovely comments. I am most pleased that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience and that your stay lived up to your expectations. I am glad that the Hotel’s location was convenient for you and am delighted that you enjoyed the comfort of your room.

Again, I thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth in the near future.

Whidbey Island, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

December 2012 - From the moment I stepped into the lobby I knew I had made the right decision booking the Sofitel. The decor is beautiful and the staff all went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home. Our room was on an upper floor and very nice...eveything we needed and more, including a Nespresso machine. The bath products were French and a favorite brand of mine, a welcmed surprise. The beds and pillows are a luxury and much better than most hotels. We stayed on a club floor and had access to their Club for a buffet breakfast, high tea with finger sandwiches and beautiful pastries in the afternoon, and drinks and an assorment of appetizers in the evening...everything was delicious. The Sofitel is about a 7 miniute walk from Circular Quay and the Rocks, so we considered it centrally located for walking. I would stay here again in a heartbeat and plan to seek out the Sofitel brnad in other cities we travel to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
It is with great pleasure that I read your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. I am delighted that your enjoyed your experience and I am most pleased that we lived up to your expectations. We are very proud of our Club Sofitel product and are delighted that you enjoyed it and were able to make the most of its offerings.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth for another truly ‘magnifique’ experience.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Nick your Concierge was very helpful. He aranged a day trip to blue mountains and a limo to the airport for us. He also tried to arrange early breakfast so that we could eat before going to the Blue Mountains, which we were able to do. He gave old fashion service which is not around these days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It was most pleasing to read your review and I am truly delighted that you enjoyed your Sofitel experience.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I am most pleased that the location was convenient for you and that you found the services of Nick at our Concierge team memorable. I will certainly ensure that your feedback is passed on to them.

Thank you again for your comments; we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

After a week studying Sanskrit and eating vegetarian, I felt I needed a little pamper. My wife and I felt special from the moment we arrived. I paid a little more for club access and that made it even more special. Everyone was attentive and helpful, smiling and friendly. Room amenities were top-notch. Excellent brekky, in-room Nespresso, a bed that was a dream to sleep in.

Great location, midway between the harbour and the city centre.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth. I am truly delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our Club Sofitel offering, which is certainly something that we are very proud of.

At Sofitel Sydney Wentworth we constantly aim to deliver a level of service that exceeds our guests expectations and I am delighted that our location, product and services afforded you a memorable stay.

Again, thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back to our Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Hotel Manager

Been to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth? Share your experiences!