“A night at the Wentworth” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Sydney Wentworth

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Sydney Wentworth to your Saves list
Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61-101 Phillip St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #37 of 183 hotels in Sydney
A TripAdvisor Member
“A night at the Wentworth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

As per usual the service was excellent. Staff go above and beyond. They even threw in chocolates and drink vouchers which was a nice touch. Dinner was excellent and breakfast was really good also. Only downside was $49 for parking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

I am pleased that your stay was a pleasant one and that the hotel was able to cater to all your needs in terms of facilities and service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

Kindest Regards
Sam Panetta
Hotel Manager

3,423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Korean first
Torquay, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Usually I would not stay at Sofitel Hotels, however this booking was arranged by my company. I had emailed well in advance stating I would arrive before check in time. However I thought this would not be of an issue as the hotel clearly states it accommodate early check in. This was far from the case. The woman on check in was incredibly rude and typically full of excuses and ultimately said if I wanted the early check in I should had booked accommodation for the night before as well. Unreasonable? I think so.

My experiences weren't all sour. I must compliment the fantastic work of Concierge team, especially Charles who was incredibly helpful in organising transport, and reservations. Furthermore the room service was always prompt, with generous sizings and was always delicious. Potentially a few dishes are overpriced, but that is to be expected.

The room was outstanding, after looking at reviewers photos I was mortified and concerned however this was not the case. The room was spotless, with modern features and was spacious. The bed was an absolute dream.

One thing I will highlight is the lack of respect from staff to younger people. I am a young woman who travels only for business and not pleasure, I felt numerous staff were rude and cast judgement on me due to my age. I felt I wasn't appreciated or valued like other guests who were older than me, and this was evident in the dealings I had with staff. At the end of the day I am a paying guest.

Would I recommend the Sofitel to others? Potentially but with warning. All hotels should aim to make their guests feel welcome, and I did not feel this at all from the Sofitel.

Room Tip: High floor away from the lifts!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sam_Panetta, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to share your experiences from your stay at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

While I am pleased to hear that the facilities, location and rooms were all accommodating for you, I do sincerely apologise for the lack of attentiveness provided to you and will ensure to follow this up with the correct departments.

I am delighted to hear that your transportation and room service needs were prompt and helpful to what you required.

Thank you once again for taking your time to share your comments. I sincerely hope the negative does not cloud the positive and that we are able to welcome you back once again to rectify where we lacked on your previous stay.
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Check in was painless and quick as we had booked an extra night so that a room would be available as soon as we arrived. We had booked a Junior Suite since they ran out of the smaller rooms and we wanted to stay in the same hotel as friends.

The room was average, nothing to to give it the 5 star feel. It was surprisingly small and looking a bit tired. The curtain rod was broken on one window, and the TV in the room was not very responsive (possibly a battery issue).

The first day housecleaning went through we were surprised that our bathroom facial tissue box remained empty and I still couldn't locate the body lotion. When our friends had mentioned that they had spare toilet rolls, spare box of tissue, as well as body lotion in their room I had requested at reception to have those items specifically at the next turndown service.

Upon returning to the room, our room was clean and everything restocked except the facial tissues and the body lotion still missing. Housekeeping was contacted and within 20 mins someone arrived with a handful of shampoo, conditioner and gel as well as a much larger box of facial tissues. When I told him I wanted lotion not shampoo/conditioner/gel it clicked and he tells me the Junior Suite does not have any (which is why it was never found) but he would run 'downstairs' to acquire it from stock for other rooms. Kudos to him.

The staff are generally friendly and professional, and I felt a bit mean for demanding body lotion and tissue from housekeeping when it was obvious they didn't have the stock to place it in the room. I can't understand why Sofitel provides lotion to other rooms but not the Junior Suite? And why don't they keep up their stocks so that it doesn't run out?

Location wise it is quite convenient but still requires significant walking (depends where you go). Having stayed at Westin at Martin Place prior to this trip you just can't compare the location, service, rooms etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very happy with the Hotel. Excellent service by the staff and excellent quality of the rooms.
Downstirs bar was very good to have a quiet drink and snack of meal.
We have stayed at this Hotel every time we have been to Sydney

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for providing your feedback on your time at the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth.

I am pleased to hear that the service we provided to you was up to your satisfaction level and that you were able to enjoy and relax. I am glad you choose to stay with us and hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Sydney Wentworth for your future stays.

Been to Sofitel Sydney Wentworth? Share your experiences!