“Good place to sleep in centre of Sydney CBD” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Sydney Central

You added Rydges Sydney Central to your Saves list
Rydges Sydney Central
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   28 Albion St | Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia (Formerly The Sebel Surry Hills)   |
Ranked #83 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Toronto, Australia
“Good place to sleep in centre of Sydney CBD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was about my fifteenth stay at the Sebel. I am used the hotel and the range of rooms. I work for the teachers' union which has its own office building (headquarters) next door.

The rooms I have had have all but one been of exceptional quality and cleanliness. The one that wasn't was part of a three-day stay and my wife and I were moved to another room for the second and third nights. We also received meal vouchers for two meals at the hotel's expense for the inconvenience of a poorly prepared room.

We find the rooms in the main clean to a high standard.

The best thing about the Sebel is location, location, location. Next to Central Railway Station and close to Chinatown and many of the city's best theatres and cinemas.

The failing of the Sebel is the meals and catering. Heavily price padded lunches and dinners that lack value. Thank goodness that there are lots of excellent restaurants nearby and access to lots of places that do takeaway meals at reasonable prices.

Breakfasts at the Sebel are a lottery. The full breakfast option is heavily overpriced for the "army"-style bulk-cooked foods. Have learned to eat at any of the three or four nearby cafes that do breakfast seven days per week. Same spend but fresh a la carte choices of flavoursome breakfasts.

The staff are the best! desk/reception and reservation staff go the extra step to please customers and smooth one's stay.

Most of the housekeeping staff are excellent. Rarely a problem and most can be rectified any time night or day.

Not very impressed with the internal cleanliness of the couple of spas that my wife and I have had. I suspect it's one of the few parts of the Sebel that are not expertly maintained.The pool and gym and roof garden are great.

Lots of ticks in most of the boxes for this place.

Room Tip: Book early and be polite and you get an upgrade reasonably often if its available.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

My friend and I get together for a night or a weekend to catch up, a couple of times a year, as we live on opposite sides of Sydney. We have been friends for almost 50 years, and worked in our very first jobs together!

On this occasion it was to use my Adv+ complimentary night before it turned into a pumpkin at midnight on the night we stayed! I had been in Melbourne for six weeks while my daughter had No 3, helping to look after the other two grandchildren. I had arrived back in Sydney the night before, utterly exhausted! My girl friend had driven from Syd to Lismore to deliver her old car to her sister, then flown back to Sydney,.so she was also exhausted. So, we met around 3 or 4 at your hotel, and we were both so tired we decided just to stay in. We seen plenty of Sydney, and we just wanted to catch up!
We had coffee and a snack and started on a bottle of bubbles in the hotel's bar/coffee shop, on the corner, and talked! We asked could we just drink the one glass, then transfer it to the restaurant to finish at dinner. He was most happy to do that for us. Very helpful in fact.

Then we went back to our room and freshened up, talked some more, then arrived in the restaurant just after 6pm, when our wine was brought straight to our table by a lovely blonde Aussie girl, unfortunately I have forgotten her name, but she was extremely attentive and nothing was too much trouble! (She said she had a cousin who was a hairdresser in Lismore when my friend said she had been there this week) We even had our main course, then went up to our room to watch the Catalyst on ABC TV that was on statins, and then returned to the restaurant for our dessert. Considering their was a big conference group also having dinner it was exce

Our meal was delicious and so was dessert, except the dessert chef forgot to put the sherry in the sherried english trifle, so the savoiardi biscuits in it were very crunchy instead of soft!

We then took the rest of our bottle of bubbles to our room and sat up in bed watching the late news and drinking it. VERY relaxing!

In the morning we had a very relaxed brekkie in the restaurant then checked out at 11am. Our only suggestion, not a complaint is to have some small bowls and bread & butter sized plates near the refrigerated fruit, yoghurt etc section please. It's annoying to have to go back to the hot food to get a plate!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Wow! To the reception staff! Thank you lovely lady that checked us in. Very friendly, polite and welcoming. Housekeeping staff tops. Rooms clean, bedding configuration needed changing which was done fairly promptly. Great pool area. Lovely breakfast. Location to the Allianz Stadium is awesome! We walked there quicker than the taxi's driving on the road next to us. The room we had was close to the top floor - apparently these are the larger rooms. Very spacious indeed. Air con was not the best - struggled a little to keep the room cool. Parking available which was also a plus.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms on the top floors are more spacious
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Room is quite sterile but was at least quite clean. I am not sure if my room hadn't been slept in for a couple of days but it was very musty smelling when I arrived. Check in staff were rude and unwelcoming - no sign of a smile anywhere. I encountered a problem with noise (hallway and lift noise seemed to travel into my room).
Restaurant food was okay but we were the only ones there at 8.30 pm which I didn't really like - no atmosphere at all.
Location is really good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Rydges Sydney Central? Share your experiences!