“Fantastic hotel, I highly recommend it.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Sydney Central

Save Saved
You added Rydges Sydney Central to your Saves list
Rydges Sydney Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28 Albion St | Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia (Formerly The Sebel Surry Hills)   |
Ranked #66 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic hotel, I highly recommend it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

My husand, 2yo daughter and I stayed at the Sebel Surry Hills for 4 nights. We had the Family Explorer Package for 2 nights which was fantastic and saved us a fortune. We had breakfast daily which was great. The room was nice and clean and the staff were all fantastic. Our little girl loved the fish below the floor. Location wise this hotel is great being only about 200 meters from Central Train Station and walkable distance to most places anyway. We were in room 812 and although we could hear the trains when there was no tv on, it wasn't loud or annoying. If we go back to Sydney, we will definately stay here. It is an excellent hotel for the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Indonesian first
Smithfield, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011 via mobile

Upon arrival by airport train to Central Station it is a very easy walk of 600 metres to the hotel from the train station. A free shuttle bus circulates to Circular Quay and stops about 100 metres from the hotel. We used this service to get around Sydney, it was so easy and convenient. Staff were friendly and accommodating to our requests during our stay, beds were good and a few different pillow types to choose from is always good. If I had any complaint it would only be the water pressure in the shower, it was a little low for my liking, but that is being very pickie. All in all a good hotel for a good price in a great location.

• Stayed November 2011
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

There's a coffee table book in the rooms at the sebel in Surry Hills, reminiscing on the glory days of the now closed Sebel Townhouse on Elizabeth Bay. It talks about how it was the place to be seen in Sydney - a popular gathering point for those who liked a fun atmosphere. But there isn't much in the way of atmosphere at the Surry Hills venue.

The rooms are large but rather stark. The furnishings are modern and uninteresting. The beds are comfortable enough. The staff are polite and efficient. Many reviews have described the noisiness of the location - but from my room on the 7th floor, it wasn't a probelm at all.

The main benefit of the Sebel is its location, if you're doing business in the Surry Hills/Central Station end of town. It's an easy five minute walk from the station - which provides a fantastic, cheap option for transport to and from the airport. No need for cabs at all.

In short, it's an adequate place to stay - but nothing interesting.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Broken gym gear and no remote control in the gym for the TV, room aircon that doesnt go below 21 degrees C, expensive resturant, 1 broken elevator during the stay that had people lining up and grumpy, no free wifi, indoor smimming pool chlorine smell that was trapped inside smimming pool area and gym ...and that kinda does it for me.

Go somewhere else.

Train station a small walk away

Room Tip: Gym is on 3rd floor while smoking area is on 5th floor
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011 via mobile

The title says it all. Expensive for the quality you get. I'd rate it more 2/3 *** at apush.

• Stayed December 2011
Mulgrave, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed at the Sebel Surry Hills for 2 nights in late November 2011. Upon entering room 712 I looked out the window and there was a fantastic view of Central Station. Well, all I can positive about the room and hotel was that. The guests above the room (I believe to be 812) arrived at approx. 9.00 pm and were constantly banging their feet and jumping on the floor for 2 hours. Perhaps they were dancing or decided to annoy the guest in my room. After 10.00 pm I could hear the traffic downstairs honking their horn every now and then and I went outside the hotel to see what was going on and there was a car parked on the left side of Albion St facing towards the hotel (Oxford St). I can't believe somebody would simply park their car in far left lane where there is clearly a No Parking Sign and traffic could not get through. I advised reception who said they will notify the Police. 2 hours later the honking still continued. In the morning after breakfast I went outside and would you believe the car is still there and cars had to go around it still honking their horns. I went out for the entire day and upon my return after 6.00 pm, you guessed it, the car was still parked there! I thought I can't put up with horns honking for the entire night. Anyway, I went to my room tried to ignore the honks by watching tv and by 10.30 pm I couldn't sleep because I knew in my mind I was expecting honks! And yes, there were honks! By 1.00 am I was still awake. I eventually fell asleep and after breakfast I went to check if the car was still parked there and to my amazement it was gone. I was expecting it to still be there and was (sad to say this), hoping it was so somebody else could put up with what I had to. The Sebel it definitely not a quite hotel and with the traffic at the corner of Elizabeth and Albion St you will not get a good night's rest. Perhaps you should consider another hotel like the Travelodge located at the corner of Wentworth and Goulburn Sts which I have stayed at twice before and never had a problem.

Room Tip: A room away from Albion St side.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Dubbo, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We found this hotel when it had an advertised special room sale so the cost was quite reasonable, having stayed in Sydney regularly over many years we didn't realise this hotel existed until the last week-end.
We found the reception staff to be very friendly and helpful and the staff in the buffet breakfast were terrific, really one of the friendlier more helpful staff we've found.
Not sure what other reviewers have found to complain about but we had a deluxe room that was spacious, everything looked quite new and the bed was really comfortable.
There was a little noise from the sirens up and down Elizabeth Streeet but otherwise it was reasonably quiet.
The location is great, really close to Central, Crown Steet food establishments, a shortt walk to the city or buses just around rhe corner.
We were pretty impressed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Rydges Sydney Central? Share your experiences!