“Stunning” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chinese Garden of Friendship

Chinese Garden of Friendship
Darling Harbour, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
(02) 9240 8888
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$83*
and up
Sydney Attraction Pass Including Taronga Zoo...
Ranked #15 of 237 Attractions in Sydney
Type: Gardens, Outdoors
Activities: Dining
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A haven of tranquility in Sydney's bustling Chinatown, this fascinating garden with waterfalls, bridges and fish-filled ponds was designed by experts from China and reflects designs dating back to the 5th century.
Sydney, Australia
35 attraction reviews
“Stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This garden near the Powerhouse Museum is simply stunning. From gorgeous fountains to amazing nature, this garden made me mesmerized the entire time. Come to this garden to experience the wonder that this attraction has to offer.

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Geelong, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Stunningly beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Loved it , Loved it, Loved it! What a gem to find in the middle of a busy city. Very cheap to enter. $7 or $11 with tea and either scones or dim sims, If I come to Sydney again I will definately come again.

Northampton, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

What a tranquil place to visit and the photographic opportunities there are endless. There is a cafe there as well so it is very easy just to sit peacefully and enjoy. Definitely worth a visit

Visited July 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
“Great Chinese Garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I already got a sense of splendid when I walked from Darling Quarter to the Chinese Garden of Friendship. A portion of the garden is not blocked off by the tall white Chinese walls so you can see what the garden inside looks like.

I and my mom walked to the entrance where we paid our 6 dollar entrance fee each to get in. I had thought that the 6 dollars entry price was fairly expensive for a garden, especially when you are a visitor from Africa, and 6 dollars can get you so much more in Africa. Then again, this is Sydney and it is the 3rd most expensive city in the world.

The garden is 100% well maintained and is everything you would expect of a chinese garden. It was pristine and the garden flowed so well, probably because of feng shui principles incorporated into the garden when it was first designed.

Enter into the garden and instantly you will be guided by the footpaths to various shelters spots, waterfalls and temples. The paths are well designed with rocks, bamboos growing on the sides, and the reasons for the placements of various objects are well explained on boards placed around the garden. Be ware of swooning birds - they have them in the garden according to the signage, although we were never affected by them.

I and my mom took photos everywhere we went. It was just stunning.

Before you know it, our garden walk was over and we had reached the exit.
The garden is fairly small - similar to all the attractions in Sydney - and therefore it might not have given me as much value for money as I had thought (remember, I'm from Africa and I'm more use to money going further). If you are on a tight budget, I would suggest giving this garden a miss - the reason you are in Sydney is to experience Australia and I think your 6 dollars would be better spent on going to a pub, such as the O Bar at Australian Square where you could see the whole of Sydney.

CA
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful landscaping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

It's worth the price of admission to get in... Especially if you have a nice camera. Even during the winter time, the grounds were very beautiful. The leaves on the trees were in fall colors (yellows and oranges).

I could see that this would be a great place to take wedding/engagement photos.