“Worth a trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chinese Garden of Friendship

Chinese Garden of Friendship
Darling Harbour, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (City Centre)
(02) 9240 8888
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$82*
and up
Sydney Attraction Pass Including Taronga Zoo...
Ranked #15 of 238 Attractions in Sydney
Type: Gardens, Outdoors
Activities: Dining
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A haven of tranquility in Sydney's bustling Chinatown, this fascinating garden with waterfalls, bridges and fish-filled ponds was designed by experts from China and reflects designs dating back to the 5th century.
London, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
“Worth a trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

So relaxing was worth the trip, the little one loved walking around the park and seeing the fish in the lakes, just a shame we only did a flying visit

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
4 attraction reviews
“Absolutely PERFECT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Its vacinity to China Town as well as its peaceful atmosphear right next to a thriving area. The people who initiated this should be highly comended & honoured for their efforts.

Visited November 2011
27 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Always gorgeous, no matter the season, these gardens are great for a short visit, or a slow contemplative walk. I love them, and visit whenever I have time in the Darling Harbour area.

Visited September 2012
24 attraction reviews
“Great place to relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Last weekend, we went to visit a hidden treasure of Sydney, in the middle of the city in Darling Harbour.

Initiated by the local Chinese community to share their rich cultural heritage and celebrate Australia's 1988 Bicentenary, the Chinese Garden is the result of a close bond of friendship and cooperation between the sister cities of Sydney and Guangzhou in Guangdong Province, China. The Chinese Garden of Friendship was designed by Sydney's Chinese sister city, Guangzhou.

Even though I have been living in Australia for so long I have never been inside the Chinese garden. I have walked past the garden numerous times but for some reason never thought to go inside. Last weekend the weather was so good that I and my husband decided that we must go out and enjoy the sunny day. So we took a train to the city and walked to Darling Harbour from Town Hall train station.

We were in the garden by 11am and there were only 3 people on the queue to get tickets to go inside. We got the ticket and it cost us just $6.00. We started our tour from the right hand side door of the garden.

The whole garden cannot be seen from any one point within the garden. It has a number of features including the Dragon Wall symbolizing the bond between New South Wales and Guangzhou, the Water Pavilion of Lotus Fragrance, the Twin Pavilion and The Tea House that offers traditional Chinese tea and other refreshments. The garden is a popular venue for weddings, providing many beautiful backgrounds for photographs.

We were there to enjoy the day so we just walked around the garden and enjoyed the sun taking photos from time to time. There was a big pond in the middle of the garden and it had big colourful fishes. I actually forgot that we were in the middle of the city once we were inside. As spring has started here, there were so my beautiful flowers in the garden. I just loved everything in it: the trees, well-trimmed plants, beautiful spring flowers, calm lotus pond and the magnificent temple.

It was peaceful, serene, beautiful and calming. There is a waterfall which gives the feeling that you are in some national park. There are some alcoves to rest and overlook the whole garden to just soak in its natural beauty. We took so many photos as wherever I turned there was a beautiful view. The garden isn't large but there are plenty of places to sit and take in the views. It took us about an hour to meander through the garden.

We saw a beautiful bridal carriage which is the imperial bridal carriage was used by Chinese Emperors in ancient times with extremely ornamental decorations. The jade carriage is typical of the historical carriages of past dynasties. It is believed 100 skilful artists were engaged in the laborious and intricate carving work. Over 300 tons of raw jade were used, the finished weight approx. 2 tons.

The carriage has a canopy decorated with entwining dragon motif with two lanterns in front. The main body of the carriage is carved into elaborate openwork of dragon, phoenix and fairies which are the symbol of Luck, Prestige and Authority. The two front shafts are cut as two lively charging dragons, guiding the carriage. Behind the carriage are two ornamental fans, which symbolise Royal Dignity.

The age and the cost of the carriage are unknown, however it is believed the carriage came from the Chinese Province of Guangdong and it is said to be the only carriage known to be outside China.

As we were walking around we saw a few people wearing traditional Chinese costumes and taking photos so we decided to find out more about it.

We found a place in one corner of garden where you can hire a costume for $10 and pretend to be a Princess/Queen/Emperor/Empress. They let you roam the garden with the costumes as long as you like and parade around the gardens and take as many photos as you like.

So me and my husband decided to dress up as well and become Chinese for a while. I choose a red dress and the lady in the shop helped me to do my hair. AS choose a dark blue one and even got a long white beard to try with his costume.

Once we were dressed, the lady from the shop took a few of our photos. From there we walked the whole garden taking photos in different locations. We felt like we were in some movie walking around in the costumes and taking photos. Lots of people stopped to look at us and a few even asked us to pose so they could take a photo of us . It was a really interesting experience to feel like we were in China.

If you feel hungry there is a teahouse. You can also hire a 45-minute audio tour in English and Mandarin, if you like.

For the price, we had an amazing day, relaxing and wonderful.

Visited September 2012
Orlando, FL
“OK way to spend an hour or two”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place was very pretty - I'll give it that. It was smack dab in the middle of a busy area but felt very serene. But, given the chance, I don't think we'd choose to pay to walk through this again. It was basically a small walking tour of a pretty garden, and for that, I felt it was overpriced at $6 a piece. If it was free, or even just a couple of dollars, we'd probably give it higher reviews because it was really very pretty. But, I just don't know that I see the value given what we paid.

Visited July 2012