“Location and Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Woolbrokers Hotel

You added Woolbrokers Hotel to your Saves list
Woolbrokers Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Allen Street | Pyrmont, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Ranked #124 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
canberra
“Location and Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

Brilliant little hotel, very inexpensive and a perfect location (2 minute walk to the light rail station which can take you to central station), and just a minute further on to the convention centre.
Rooms were very clean, shared bathrooms were also suprisingly clean. Staff were excellent and will definately stay at Woolbrokers in the future.

One small negative, my room was on the side near the road and I was not used to traffic noise, but overall great

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ManagerJohn, Manager at Woolbrokers Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2008
Thank you for the kind words and I am sorry that your room was a little noisy. I realise that being close to a major road can be both a blessing and a burden. If guests complain we do endeavour to find a quieter room though that can depend on availability as regular guests and those knowing they are light sleepers try to request the quieter rooms first. We have double-glazed the ground floor rooms, but not the upper levels as then we would lose the capacity to be able to open the windows and let in fresh air. My recommendation is that next time you book you ask whether you could have a quiet room and we shall do our best to meet that request. We value feedback as only then can we determine whether we are meeting or failing guest expectations, so your contribution is much appreciated. - John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

Recently had the good fortune to stay at the Woolbrokers for the third time in six years as host of an international football team.
The experience hasn't changed in all this time despite many staff changes, nothing is ever too much of a problem in this place.
Our young footballers have huge appetites and high protein dietary requirements, so the hotel brought in a chef from our region to fulfil all tastes and needs, the food was excellent and the continental buffet breakfast most substantial.
The place is very clean and homely, the shared bathrooms even adding to that homely experience.
It was once again a delight to stay at the Woolbrokers, we will all be back again to enjoy the excellent location and value this hotel offers it's clientele.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — stairs, no lift
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ManagerJohn, Manager at Woolbrokers Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2008
As the new Manager I am gratified that the minor changes I have instituted with regard to meals have met with such a positive response so early in my time. I believe that just because we operate at the "budget" end of the market we don't have to just offer budget-type service. I do hope flashpierre and his team members return and leave feedback as it is only with feedback that we can judge how well we are meeting the demands of the marketplace. - John
Eden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

I was recommend the woolbrokers Hotel from a friend. I was a bit cautious from the reviews, but unlike the reviews i had a really nice stay. The hotel was clean, The hotel staff were very accommodating, helpful and friendly.

I was satisfied that for the price that i paid, i got value for my money. I got a comfortable room to rest in. The location is fabulous, so must to do and see. Just a two minute walk to Darling harbour. You are not staying at a five star hotel so you cannot expect five star facilities. They are the most reasonly priced hotel in darling harbour. If you are budget traveler this hotel is perfect.

I will definelty be booking again next time im in Sydney !

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
canberra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I found this hotel on the Wotif website and because it is like right at Darling Harbour I decided to book for a couple of nights because it is resonable priced and well located
Big Mistake..... I found the hotel very old and dirty looking. The rooms are in major need off a refrubishment.. Reminds me off a Backpackers hotel. The T.V sitson the sink so when you turn the tap on the water splashed up on it. Major OH&S Issue..
The Staff are unfriendly and quite rude and I woke up to a bad rash of some sort on my back in the morning.
Breakfast was cold and not worth the price and it is shared bathrooms which I totally hate and No Air/Conditioners in the room only cheap fans which do nothing.

I DO NOT recommend this hotel. It should either be closed down or a Cheap Backpackers for $10.00 a night..

Stayed February 2008
mick will be pleased to know that we have repainted those old and dirty looking walls and the televisions are now off the sinks and on the walls or on their own units in some rooms. We advertise as being shared bathrooms and they all have locks so are not communal (though do have three ensuites for those who prefer that). If anyone feels that they have been misled by any of our advertising they are welcome to contact me direct. We welcome constructive feedback as it tells us what we could be doing better - John
South Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Woolbrokers with my boyfriend and his cousin. It was in a good location near darling harbour. Price was good for this location I thought.
Staff good. Also good that you could put your bags in a safe room on your leaving day.
Shared bathroom not to bad.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

With the exception of one room which I consider to offer privacy the rest of the hotel is more like a boarding house or guest house.

The first time I checked into this hotel I was told the breakfast was included in the room rate but the next morning I was hassled by the one of the hotel staff who kept her eye on me on what I was eating for breakfast! Later I found out I have to pay for breakfast I decided to have it at the Harbourside a few minutes down the road. Smart are they?

Got stuffed around with bookings a few times.

The worst comment I can give to this hotel is that they do not hold responsiblity for the horrible errors they make but make the guest liable for it including the cost of the room.

Perhaps because they have regular group bookings they can afford not to care for individual guest but I think they are wrong.

Stayed January 2008
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

Was looking for a decent place in Sydney to spend a few nights, and I found all the good reviews here and thought I couldn't go wrong. I had been promised I could check in early, but upon arrival, found that wasn't true - ok, no big deal, stored my bags and explored town. Came back at 2pm and checked in, no problem. Room was ok - TV with a few channels but no remote, a fridge (which was a nice surprise), and a loud fan but no a/c...oh well, it wasn't that warm when I was there, but the room was hot after coming back from a long day walking around, so that wasn't all that great. Staff was nice but not overly so, or extremely helpful. Internet access is a joke - go down the street instead. Shared bathrooms were always clean, showers too, so that was nice...had to wait once for about 2 minutes, but other than that, it was pretty easy. Location is great, but don't do what I did and walk all the way down Murray Street to the Maritime Museum - you can cut through the Car Park in the Novotel and through the Monorail Station and be at the heart of Darling Harbour in 2 minutes.

Tip for Sydney - take the ferries! It's a little more expensive, but it never gets old sailing under the Bridge or past the Opera House. And do the Bridge Climb - best experience of my trip.

All in all - I would stay here again if on a budget, but if I had any money to spend, I'd look elsewhere.

• Liked — Location location location
  • Disliked — Shared bathrooms
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Woolbrokers Hotel? Share your experiences!