“Excellent location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Woolbrokers Hotel

You added Woolbrokers Hotel to your Saves list
Woolbrokers Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Allen Street | Pyrmont, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Ranked #124 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Excellent location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was in an excellent location, is a pretty good priced & has cheap parking.

The downside for us was the massive stains on the curtains & blankets which were quite off putting & left us trying to avoid touching....

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
West Wyalong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were in Sydney for one night and just needed somewhere to leave the car and pass out after a concert we were going to, and this place fitted the bill perfectly. It's not the most luxurious place out there, but for the money we paid it was definitely good enough. The room was tidy (although a little stuffy without aircon - there were 2 fans but it was quite humid when we were there, I can't imagine it being a problem in cooler weather though), the bed was lovely and soft, and the bathrooms, while in need of a little TLC, seemed clean enough. There were several shared bathrooms (showers and toilets) right across the hall from our room. We were on the top floor and didn't have any problems with noise, either from other guests or from the road outside. Staff were friendly and helpful.

I would stay here again if I needed a cheap place to stay close to the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Great Value for the large room to accommodate our family of 6. Other alternatives in Sydney would have meant 2 hotel rooms at more than double the cost. We had an en-suite in our room and a shared bathroom right outside the door. It was noisy from passing traffic but the location was fantastic for public transport and darling harbour. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This place has to be be the BEST place for people on a budget. It is only 2 minutes walk to Darling Harbour its CLEAN FRESH and CHEAP. I will always TRY and stay here before any other location when in Sydney

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

If you want a decent anything (night's sleep, shower, wifi connection) you can forget it!
I knew from other reviews that I'd booked a hotel room with a certain amount of soul, but on reflection it was a little too much 'soul' for me - plus - this place can't really call itself a hotel at all. It's definitely more of a hostel.
I was keen to get a room near to Darling Harbour at a reasonable rate (everything else around that area at the time was ridiculously expensive). I was only in Sydney for one night, so I found this place and thought I'd take a gamble.
I was on the second floor, with a room with bars on the windows and a full view of an expressway ramp - with all the associated traffic noise to-ing and fro-ing. Not to mention noises from passers by on the pavement one floor below - AND very noisy guests in the rooms next door and on the floor above. The walls were paper-thin. I ended-up sleeping with the pillow over my head to block it all out!
I had to share a bathroom with just about everyone on the second floor. The taps on the shower were really stiff and took a while to comply, while the water supply itself failed to provide a consistent temperature (one minute attempting to freeze my bits; the next it was trying to boil them.)
During the night and on the following morning, I found myself - on more than one occasion - hopping about the landing, desperately trying to find a free toilet, as someone seemed to be hogging the shared bathroom. I also nearly forgot to take my room key on a couple of occasions, which would have meant locking myself out of my room while in a state of relative undress.
There was no wifi - just a computer near reception with internet for an extra fee.
The room wasn't terribly clean. It smelled damp and I found a pair of socks belonging to a previous guest.
Even for the lesser amount I paid, I don't think this place was terribly good value for money. But the guy on reception was friendly enough and - yes - the location is great. Just 5-10 minutes' walk and you're in Darling Harbour and central Sydney. It's also only a few minutes from the nearest tram stop.
Given that I did actually want a good night's sleep after all my travelling, in hindsight I think I would have opted to pay a little more to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room on a higher floor....
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Woolbrokers Hotel is great value for money. Where else in Sydney can you stay two nights, a stone's throw away from Darling Harbour, for less than $200? We were walking distance to public transport, which is fantastic. My partner and I stayed there in August last year and were happy with the service, the room and the amenities avaliable. There are accomodation options for all budgets, but we will definately be staying there again when we travel down to Sydney.

Room Tip: For a little bit more, you can get a room with an ensuit. We stayed on a ground floor room and were...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

If your on a low budget travelling around Australia or wanting a night in Sydney and trying to save your money, give it a look. Its an old building in a good location. Right near darling harbor its a short walk to China Town, Entertainment Center and good restaurants. We stayed as a family of 4 and were put on the top floor in a room with 2 sets of bunks and a double bed.We didn't have our own bathroom as the bathroom facilities are shared. On our floor there was about 5 toilet/shower rooms available. The one closest to our room wasn't very clean. There was no lift so if you don't mind walking up stairs you will be fine but for others I suggest asking for a lower floor room. A bit noisy but where isn't in the city. For a Sydney hotel it was good value but if you want the better facilities you are going to have to pay the extra for them. The service was great and staff very helpful.

Room Tip: I suggest asking for a room on a lower level.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Woolbrokers Hotel? Share your experiences!