People in Sydney who say, "They don't make beer like they used to" have not been here.
Whether it's for a quiet drink, a convivial lunch, a visit to the restaurant, or an economical place to stay, this place is pretty near perfect. By no means 5 star, Michelin guide etc. but that's for those pretentious morons who buy over priced beer in overpriced clubs and pubs.
The Lord Nelson is easy to get to if you walk out of the Kent Street exit of Wynyard Station and turn right. It's a half a mile level walk. After your drinks etc. it's a mile back along the same route or a roll down the hill to The Rocks.
The beer is brewed on the premises and living up to the it's name The Lord Nelson does not take prisoners! 3 pints of Quayles Ale (named after a visit by VP Quayle) and I'm anybody's.
The ploughman's lunch is authentic and the snacks and meals are reasonably priced.
A friend of ours stayed at the hotel and reported that it was a bit on the basic side but very highly recommended and for him that was his top rating as he normally stays in 5 star hotels: he was "slumming it" on this visit because he was paying the bill!
The building itself is worth looking at because it was originally built by convicts and you'll see the stone chisel marks on many of the stones. Walking up or down Argyle Street you'll pass one of the oldest churches in Sydney and under one of the oldest bridges.
I visit this place at least once a year and often use it as the place to have drinks with friends. Just remember that the beer is very strong and you'll need to have decent plans for getting home. Far better to organise a room for the night.
- Also Known As:
- Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel
- Lord Nelson Brewery Sydney
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sydneys Oldest Continually Licensed Hotel and Microbrewery. Brewers of fine natural ales, purveyors of delicious pub and restaurant fare and boutique accommodation. Established 1841. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Olotels so you can book your The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.