“The staff madr a difference.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jolly Swagman Backpackers

Save Saved
You added Jolly Swagman Backpackers to your Saves list
Jolly Swagman Backpackers
4.0 of 5 Hostel   |   27 Orwell Street | Potts Point, Sydney, New South Wales 2011, Australia   |
Ranked #33 of 130 Specialty lodging in Sydney
Singapore
“The staff madr a difference.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011 via mobile

The free shuttle took more than two hours to come. And when it did, the ride was more than just haphazard. When we reached the hostel, our bookings were not made, even though we paid. It was a horrid start to out holiday. Yet the counter staff took it in his stride and found a replacement room for us which was even better than what we had booked. He gave us free internet vouchers and also treated us warmly. And that was all that mattered.

Location wise, situated in the red light district, just be carefulwith your belongings at night. Great food around and near to the train station. Definitely worth returning.

• Stayed November 2011

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Hostel rooms were clean and tidy. Same wih the common areas. Met some nice people and made new friends. Staff was very friendly and helpful. :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed at hostels all over Europe, Australia, Africa and a few in the states AND THIS ONE IS BY FAR THE BEST OF THEM ALL. I went to Sydney to study abroad and both my school back home and in Sydney had thought the other was going to set me up with housing. I ended having no place to live while Sydney was on a housing shortage. The staff at the swagman gave me a home. At the time there were a lot of others staying there long term and as corney as it sounds we went from strangers to friends, friends to family. Best social atmosphere you could ask for! Rooms vacumed three times a week. Refrigerator in every room. Tv with DVDs to rent. People who take you out every night. The swagman will always have a special place in my heart and quite frankly your making a mistake if you stay anywhere else!

• Stayed January 2011
MK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Really loved it. Does what it says on the tin! Really helpful friendly staff and located in a great place! if I hadn't had stayed here and stayed in an hotel I would have had a rubbish time in Sydney! I returned last year and stayed with two of the girls I met at Jollys! I only stayed here for a week but it was super!! Cheers!! I travelled solo and within 5 minutes of arriving (no joke!) I was asked if I wanted to join a load of people for a picnic round the corner! Straight from the UK I was jetlagged but can honestly say I met the nicest bunch of people vie met on my travels!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Oostende Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I booked twins room on upper floor and it was really very nice and clean with Fridge, TV, Fan and cupboard with hangers. Just one negative was that there was lot of dirt in one quilt folds when I opened it to cover myself…It was very late at night so I didn’t felt it appropriate to ask management for replacement…so I slept without quilt. I hope management will keep an eye on their room cleaners.

I would highly recommend Jolly Swagman to everyone and will stay there again…

Room Tip: Twin Room on Top floors are best
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I just stayed at Jolly Swagman Backpackers Nov 19 - 25. I stayed in the private double room which is a great room especially if you want your privacy. The room was clean, it did have a strong airfreshner candle that they left in the room. There was a fan in the room which I kept on high the entire time since it got hot in the room. It was a quite floor except for the weekends when the drunks arrive late at night. The staff were friendly. There are tons of shops and restaurants in the area. It's a very quiet street which is a plus. Kings Cross station is about a 5min walk. There is a Woolworth supermarket down the road and some small delis that are open 24 hours.

The airport transfer never showed up on my departure date which was annoying. I waited outside for about 45min and I checked in with the front desk and they kept telling me he was going to come. After another 15 min I just got my money back and took a cab to the airport. I def recommend this place to whoever is traveling on a budget.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side, since the north side is located right on the street where the young kids ha...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed in the Swagman for 4 nights, for our spring break. It was nice that there were rooms for three people and the staff was very friendly and helpful! But the room wasn't cleaned when we arrived, was not that nice.. Breakfast is ok, could maybe be a bit more varied. It's a good place to go out and the trip we could book to the Blue Mountains was amazing!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Jolly Swagman Backpackers? Share your experiences!