“The Climb is a must while in Sydney” 5 of 5 stars

Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Renton, Washington
4 attraction reviews
“The Climb is a must while in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was one of the highlights of our 2 week trip to Australia. The weather was great, since we booked the early morning 9 am climb in advance. Our guide was fantastic and knowledgeable, which made the experience that much better. It's not has hard as it looks and definitely one of my great memories of Australia. Only downfall is that there is no pub at the top; oh well, more of reason to climb back down.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alberta
“Terrible treatment asbestos warnings and no photograph.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We paid for our bridge climb only to be sent back mid trip to a holding room for mantenence room with signs warning us of asbestos (we weren't briefed on that risk).
because of storm cells were approaching. that didn't eventuate. Then the unexpected happened that we were told to return back to the fitting rooms while subsequent tours passing us outbound completed the tour. No explanation was given to why our small group should not continue even though we were 1/2 the distance I the main span. To add insult to our trip we were told we weren't allowed our photographs but could keep a cap?
They then proceeded to give us a voucher to complete in one year in leu of a refund. I'm not from Sydney and have no plans in the next year to be there.
Improvements:
1. Disclose all risks (asbestos?)
2. Get professional metrology reports ATC?
3. Allow people to complete the climb if others are.
4. Provide full refunds if the trip is cancelled due to no fault of the customer.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
“2nd climb, even better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I completed my 2nd climb recently and, though I have a healthy fear of heights, I didn't remember it being that bad. The worst part is climbing and descending the 4 vertical ladders on each side. Once you're on the curved part of the bridge, it really isn't bad at all. The views are amazing, our guide was extremely entertaining and the whole thing is just a really unique, fun experience. I highly recommend this to anyone visiting Sydney. It's worth the money. It just is. Strapped for cash? Go on the night tour. It's cheaper and I'm not sure why. I've done day and night tours now and I'd say they're both equally amazing, just different experiences.

I will say, when I booked our climb, the website hung during the purchase and I received no confirmation of my booking except my card had been charged. Two e-mails to BridgeClimb went unanswered and phone calls went to a messed up voicemail box that then hung up on me (this could be a result of user error due to my unfamiliarity with Aussie phone numbers). When we showed up at the office to confirm our tour, they did have us down, fortunately. We asked to change our day tour to a night tour, which they were happy to accommodate, but they could only give us vouchers to use at the gift shop or for photos. No cash or credit refund. We were fortunate to be able to spend it all on photos.

New orl
“Spectacular climb with a sting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

This is an amazing climb, phenomenally well organized with a great feeling of safety - even work those with fears of height. We went in late march and the temp was perfect and the views are a must see. The STING is how much the photos cost at the end as you are not allowed to take a camera or phone. 25 for one image and 10 each for any more the 10 for a storage device.. That was a big rip.. Shame shame. So take some google goggles maybe as they allow eyewear.

County Laois, Ireland
15 attraction reviews
“I tried!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I had been psyching myself up for climbing the bridge since before we arrived in Sydney, I was determined to overcome my fear of heights........that didn't happen.

Nope.

In fact my fear is now worse.

I am not blaming the people or the climb; it's obvious that I underestimated my issue with heights and quite a pity that this underestimation hit me smack bang in the terror part of my brain when I was suited up, connected to the line and 1/4 of the way into the climb. Oh joy!

Our guide whose name has been erased from my memory due to the freak out I had (John I think?....or Sam) was just brilliant with me.
I had told him before we started that I was scared of heights so he put me up front of the group with him so he could keep an eye on me and reassure me. When I just couldn't move from fear he asked me if I could go a bit further and laughed when I replied that I kind of had to in order to leave the walk which helped.

My husband continued on the climb and he loved it and i'm so jealous that I didn't get to climb to the top. He got some great photos up there and yes it is expensive but we will never get back to Sydney so sucked it up and just went for it.

The staff prepare you really well for it all. You fill out a questionnaire, take a breathaliser, get your suit, hooked up to a dummy line to climb stairs like the ones on the bridge and down the other side and then get your radio hooked up. You are constantly reassured by staff as to your safety etc and everyone is very genuine and friendly on the staff.

I suppose my review is more just to ask those of you who have a fear of heights to seriously consider what this will do to your fear if you do it. In my case it's made it worse and i'd hate for anyone to experience the fear, panic and helplessness that I felt up there.

Visited February 2014