“Great place for a noisy conference” 2 of 5 stars

PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Day St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #21 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Leonardtown, Maryland
“Great place for a noisy conference”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

well after two nights and days of experiencing v minor setups of a welcome party. tonight the mgmt had a wonderful party to celebrate something. Only problem is i was trying to work and rest, in my room at the same time, fancy that!
I don't really mind having to wear earplugs in my nicely refurbished room, nor having to turn my tv up to 50 just to hear it over tick tock, which btw used to be my favorite song.
I do mind that not a single note from the mgmt on what was going on was slipped under the door to let me know " dear guest" we are celebrating our whatever tonight and the noise may be a bit annoying, as a consequence we'll be making more noise during our clean up and all those in rooms above this area will have a free night on us to make up for the inconvenience.

So heres mine to them, Room 318 18 Feb 2013 was not one to receive this advise and as a consequence will be short with the staff in the morning, complain to the duty manager who i'm sure will be contrite and then mark the nicely refurbish hotel down as a bad place to stay. sorry

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear P W,

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us here at the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour.

We are about creating Memorable Hotel Experiences and I apologise that your stay wasn't the usual five-star service that we offer to our guests.

We are very proud to say that we have now finished a multi-million dollar refurbishment. The refurbishment included enhancements to our guestrooms, restaurant, bars and event spaces as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby. The refresh has reflected the individuality of its location and has provided a modern, comfortable and supportive guest environment.

I do apologise that noone informed you of the noise expectations from our launch party. Once again, I thank you for taking the time to write an online review. I sincerely hope that we can accommodate you in the future here PARKROYAL Darling Harbour.

Craig Bond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed two nights for work. Good location close to shops and restaurants. New rooms very nice and great rain shower. Staff very friendly, breakfast area needs doing up which may be planned.Launch party quite loud on the second night. Would have been nice to have been told about this or invited!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear bradletn,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Sydney. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I was pleased to hear of your positive experiences at the hotel. As part of our ongoing commitment to Creating Memorable Hotel Experiences we have currently completed a multi-million dollar refurbishment . The refurbishment included enhancements to our guestrooms, restaurant, bars and event spaces as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby. The refresh reflected the individuality of its location and provide a modern, comfortable and supportive guest environment. Also as part of our product upgrade, we will be implementing new pillows, duvets and beds to ensure extra comfort for all of our guests.

I do apologise that noone was in touch regarding the noise on the night of the launch party.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future for any of your business or leisure travels.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Was just back in Sydney for one night, and chose this hotel because it was an ideal location for where I needed to be, and the price was very reasonable for the area.
If I was to come on a holiday, or if I was to have guests in the city I would probably choose something closer to circular quay rather than darling harbour, since the city area just outside of darling harbour and china town is far from most beautiful part of Sydney in my opinion. However Darling Harbour is quite lovely, and as mentioned a lot cheaper than something similar in the quay.
With that said, the hotel was nice, friendly staff, and the room was quite nice, spacious and with good amenities. The lobby was nice, but the front entrance of the hotel was a bit tucked away, and nothing special.
There was some refurbishment going on, which did not bother me, I left early in the morning to catch my flight out, so am not sure how noisy it actually is in the day.
I booked a city view room (since I used to live in Sydney I have seen the harbour many times), I was given a room on the harbour side, but my view was a bit obstructed and mostly overlooked a bridge and some traffic.
I was offered a complimentary newspaper, there was a charge for the internet which i did not use, but then I discovered free wifi in the lobby area
with all that said, for a simple overnight stay, I am still giving this hotel a very good rating for the following reasons
1. the price - thought it was good value
2. with the refurbishment, everything seemed fresh and not worn out
3. the room was a decent size, as well as the bathroom
4. good amenities
5. friendly staff

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ms_Vasco_Pyjama,

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us here at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay. We have now completed a muti million dollar refurbishment which we are very proud of.

With extensive works done to the guestrooms, restaurant, bars and event spaces as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby, we are now working on our product upgrade, which will include new pillows, duvets and beds to ensure extra comfort for all of our guests.

In regards to your comments about our wi-fi, when you visit our hotel next, I would encourage you to join our GHA program, which is free of charge to join. You will see many benefits of being a member, which include complimentary water and wi-fi.

We look forward in welcoming you back to the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour in the future, be it for business or leisure.

Best Regards

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just back from a night at this hotel and were generally pleased with the experience. Comfortable bed, good sized room, lovely shower and bathroom products. We enjoyed the club facilities too. There were two small negatives and they are very small. The room needs a tea towel because there is tea/coffee and only 2 cups that you have to wash then wipe with tissues from the bathroom (yuk) if you want a second or third beverage. Also there was a strong smell of some sort of varnish coming into the room from workmen painting the floor in the new unfinished restaurant on level 1 and we had to put a towel along the bottom of the door. However I'm sure this will soon be over, I.e. completed. Great location & efficient staff.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lollie57,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the comments and feedback from your most recent stay at the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour. The responses our guests provide us with are an invaluable source of information and allow us to improve our standards and service.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have finally completed our extensive refurbishment to the hotel which has allowed us to present a more modern feel to the property.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to PARKROYAL Darling Harbour in the near future.

melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Have stayed on numerous occasions and a GHA member. This week they nicely upgraded me to the executive floor. I rang reception asked if I had access to the lounge. Yes as I am. On the executive floor. Checked again in the morning before going to lounge and was told yes I would have access. My card then lets me in the lounge. I give my room number to the lovely staff member. Start eating. Five minutes later totally embarrassed when the waiters advises me I only got a room upgrade and should not be in the lounge. Totally embarrassing for everyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our first trip to Sydney, and happy that we booked a room at this hotel. Couldn't have found a better location for the price we paid. The nearest subway station is a few blocks away, which takes you to all parts of the city as well the airport. When we weren't taking public transportation, we walked to many nearby attractions and conveniences.

We were in room 106, which is a corner room. It was upgraded, very spacious & clean. The bathroom was large, with a jetted tub as well as a shower stall and included all toiletries you would need. Liked that the mini bar had a small refrigerator so we could chill our own drinks. Only drawback is the view, you're looking right at the freeway overpass and a few tall buildings, but it didn't bother us. We would rather have the larger room, instead of one with a nicer view that would have been smaller.

We had no problems with the staff. Everyone was very nice and helpful. If you decide to stay here, I suggest booking a room that includes their breakfast buffet. They had a great selection of food.

As far as the noise due to their remodeling, we did hear it in the mornings, but it wasn't something that really bothered us. At least they didn't start very early or work into the evenings. We would stay here again if we visit Sydney in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay in the newly refurbished club rooms. The evening snacks were delicious. Only complaint would be beer selection, as wines were good . Breakfast was also excellent with great views over the harbour. The club area is magnificent & smells fantastic.
The hotel is still undergoing renovations & is a little noisy.
A short stroll to cockle bay wharf.
We would stay at thIs hotel again in a club room :-)

• Stayed February 2013
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear trish63baby,

I was most pleased to read that you were happy with our Club Lounge and the Club rooms. We have made it a priority to ensure that we are providing a 5-star service to our guests and creating a residential feel in the Club Lounge.

We are nearing the end of our extensive $15 million refurbishment, so we hope that you visit the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour soon and experience all of our facilities.

Warm Regards

Craig Bond

Been to PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney? Share your experiences!