“Club room facilities very good” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Advance Purchase
Ranked #29 of 182 hotels in Sydney
“Club room facilities very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay in the newly refurbished club rooms. The evening snacks were delicious. Only complaint would be beer selection, as wines were good . Breakfast was also excellent with great views over the harbour. The club area is magnificent & smells fantastic.
The hotel is still undergoing renovations & is a little noisy.
A short stroll to cockle bay wharf.
We would stay at thIs hotel again in a club room :-)

• Stayed February 2013
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear trish63baby,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent visit to Sydney. We appreciate and value the time you have taken to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I was most pleased to read that you were happy with our Club Lounge and the Club rooms. We have made it a priority to ensure that we are providing a 5-star service to our guests and creating a residential feel in the Club Lounge.

We are nearing the end of our extensive $15 million refurbishment, so we hope that you visit the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour soon and experience all of our facilities.

Warm Regards

717 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The reviews for this hotels are generally good, so we maybe expected too high.
I admit that location is good, and room was clean like other reviewers say.

However, what we have experienced at the hotel was pretty negative for what we paid for.
The wall is too thin and we heard all noises and activities next door, which is a classic bad experience you have in hotels.

They were middle of under construction of the basement floor, and we were not able to use the gym. We appreciated if they told us when we book... gym facility is a very important factor for us when we choose a hotel; if they told us, we would not have stayed.
My husband asked any compensations or alternatives for the gym, and they suggested to buy $15/day gym membership at a gym close by. Well, why do we have to pay more money for inconvenience caused by the hotel without telling us before booking?

Moreover, we were not happy to hear noise of construction from 7:30 in the morning. It is inconsiderate.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear NS0129,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the comments and feedback from your most recent stay at the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour. The responses our guests provide us with are an invaluable source of information and allow us to improve our standards and service.

I am pleased to read that you were impressed with our location - we are definitely in the heart of Sydney and close to the many attractions on offer.

We are nearing the end of a $15 million refurbishment, for which we are very proud of. I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused throughout your stay.

I also apologise that our gym wasn't opened when you stayed with us, as this was part of the refurbishment. Yesterday (12/2) we reopened our state of the art gymnasium complete with the latest equipment.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future. Thank you once again for providing your review on TripAdvisor.

Warm Regards,

sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

only to get bumped out to a different hotel which was in Martin Place (not at all close to the EntCent)
very inconvenient because I had booked in November only to get told on arrival 6.32 pm that the room was not available and they could physically not give me a room.
while the staff were very helpful and assured me that taxis would be available at no charge to me it still made the experience extremely stressful.
show started at 8 pm so to get to Martin Place and back in Friday night traffic was not a journey I wanted to do.
we missed out on showering and we didn't get to relax and eat a decent meal before the show.
So my experience at this Hotel was not one I can comment on.
Now the Westin in Martin Place was fantastic staff were great helpful understanding and changed the whole weekend experience around.
not sure I would attempt to stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We wanted somewhere nice and close to the entertainment centre as we were here to see Barry Gibb for his first Sydney show. We went with Parkroyal as we had stayed before at Parramatta Parkroyal.

We found from the moment we arrived the service was warm, friendly and professional. We used the valet service which took all the hassle out of self parking and for $50 a night in Sydney we found this reasonable. My partner flashed her GHD card and although it was booked in my name we were given the free wifi and paper while we stayed.

Upon arriving to our room we were quite pleased to find how modern looking and large the room was. There was a nice big television on the wall and the window looked out across the freeway and also Darling Harbour. Although the freeway just below us there was no noise from it on the 6th floor. The bathroom was nice also with a separate shower with a huge shower rose.

Location wise this hotel is well situated with Chinatown, Darling Harbour, city centre and the entertainment centre only 5 to maybe 10 minutes walk away.

On checkout the staff were again very friendly and professional and allowed us to checkout but leave the car and bags there while we had brunch and a quick trip on the monorail. We came back about midday.

In conclusion we were very happy with our stay and had a great weekend in Sydney. Will definitely stay at Parkroyal Darling Harbour again. 5 Stars.

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Lethal1962,

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour.

I was pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated our great location as well as our newly refurbished rooms, for which we are very proud of.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Warm Regards,

South Coast NSW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Let me start with the positives.

- The room was absolutely spotless. Great work cleaning team!

- The rain shower was amazing.

- New door key card system which is like paypass, you wave your key and the door opens - you don't even have to take it out of your wallet.

- The hotel is located well, a short walk to Darling Harbour, an uphill medium walk to the city (though it is uphill for any hotel located in Darling Harbour).

- The room was quite nice and newly renovated.

Unfortunately, these things were outweighed by -

- Being asked for a $100 per night bond. In all my reviews I read here of the hotel (and I went back quite a few pages) I cannot find a mention of this, nor on the hotel website or on the site we booked with.

- I was waiting to check in for quite some time, and I did not hear anyone else being asked for a bond, so this makes me wonder if it was because we booked via a third party site (Wotif) or because we wanted to use the Valet parking. We had already paid for the accommodation in full.

- This bond thing is something which has come up occasionally at a couple of previous hotels and I find it unacceptable because the funds generally do not get returned until 3-5 days later. What is wrong with taking an imprint of the card like all the other places do? This is why I read reviews *before* making a booking. I see now that I will need to make a phone call to the hotel as well, to check if taking a bond is their procedure.

- I was also asked to show photo ID. I thought they would just want to see it, but they took a *color photocopy* of it without even asking if that was ok, which I felt was entirely inappropriate.

- Overall I felt the check in person was unhappy to be there or perhaps unhappy with me. Of course she could have been unhappy with her work uniform which was the most ugly thing I have seen a woman forced to wear in at least a decade. General unhappiness and a lack of welcome were the feelings I walked away with.

- Later I spoke with the same person who was quite friendly and cheerful, so I suspect it may have been the third party booking and extra steps accompanying it which made her unhappy.

- I was quite unhappy when I discovered I could get the same room with breakfast included on the Parkroyal website for $30 a night cheaper. I usually check the hotel website but was in a hurry this time - never again!

- The $32 for 24 hours self parking advertised was not on site, but several streets away. This was one of the main reasons we chose the hotel because parking in Sydney is so expensive. We chose to go with valet instead which was expensive at $50 a night (especially when we gave the car to them and did not see it again until we left which was our plan in any case, there should be a discounted rate for people who are not going to call for their car daily).

- Renovations ongoing which started with either a circular saw or a sander at 8:30am in the middle of the atrium which meant every single room was affected by the noise. We were on the fifth floor several levels above the noise.

- It would have been better for all hotel guests for the construction workers to use that piece of equipment outside. The soundproofing to the outside is quite effective. Despite the fact that you are overlooking a freeway you do not hear much traffic noise at all.

- Same noise could be heard in the lovely looking lobby which would have been listed as one of the positives if I had not spent 45 mins waiting there with continual construction noise.

- The king bed was one of those zip apart into single beds. Terribly uncomfortable for someone used to sleeping on a whole king bed. I don't know if all of them are like that - I do not think I have slept on one before. If I did, I had no idea it was one of those zip apart beds.

- The pillows were woeful. The kind of pillow you can never manage to get enough pillow to stay under your head, the stuffing kept trying to get away from me.

- The toiletries were cheap, bland and unappealing.

- No shower cap was provided.

- The rooms are not very soundproofed to other guests in the hotel - or the cleaners when they clean the room next door. Bad if you are trying to get a sleep in.

- The black out curtains did not black out the light entirely no matter how hard we tried to arrange them in a way that they would. See photo attached. Even if you could get the curtains to match up to the walls and each other, the pelmet let light in from the top of the curtains. Epic fail.

Overall, we had a great trip to Sydney but this was due to things other than the hotel. We were not there much, mainly to sleep. I just wish it had been better sleep and that we could have had a sleep in on the second day when we did not have anything planned - construction noise made that impossible.

We won't be staying at this hotel again - we will try other options until we find that elusive perfect Sydney hotel - but we may try the Parkroyal in Parramatta as that is a location we visit regularly, providing there is no bond required.

As of writing this the monies still have not been returned to me. As it is now Friday evening, I am unlikely to see them until early next week. :((((((

Torquay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Spent a great weekend at the Parkroyal in Darling Harbour Sydney. The hotel was well situated to visit all the sights and the room was great too. The only down point was having to pay for wi fi use. We found it free in cheaper hotels outside the city.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Steven M

I was pleased to read that you found our location convenient and that you enjoyed our rooms. As part of our ongoing commitment to Creating Memorable Hotel Experiences we are nearing completion on a multi-million dollar refurbishment, which is to be expected to be completed within the coming weeks. The refurbishment has included enhancements to our guestrooms, restaurant, bars and event spaces as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby.

if you decide to return to the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour, please look to join our GHA program, which will open the door to many benefits, including free wi-fi.

We look forward in welcoming you to the PARKROYAL Darling Harbour in the future.

Kind Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

we stayed for one night in the club twin room.
we were suprised by the luxury of this hotel especially considering its reasonable price!
the bathroom was AMAZING with the waterfall showehead and size for a hotel bathroom.
we had club lounge benefits which included evening canapes and champagne, free internet access, executive breakfast etc.
the 'city view' was a little dissapointing as it was literallly a view of the balconies of the next building and a construction site, not what i was expecting, but with so many other benefits it rea,ky didnt matter!
very close to city, cbd and darling harbour

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Craig B, General Manager at PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear jules2186

I was pleased to hear of your positive experiences at the hotel and rest assured your comments have been passed on to the relevant managers in order to congratulate them on a job well done. As part of our ongoing commitment to Creating Memorable Hotel Experiences we are currently embarking on a multi-million dollar refurbishment scheduled to finish early 2013. The refurbishment will include enhancements to our guestrooms, restaurant, bars and event spaces as well as our PARKROYAL Club Lounge and lobby. The refresh will reflect the individuality of its location and provide a modern, comfortable and supportive guest environment. Also as part of our product upgrade, we will be implementing new pillows, duvets and beds to ensure extra comfort for all of our guests.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future for any of your business or leisure travels.

Kind Regards,

Craig Bond

Been to PARKROYAL Darling Harbour Sydney? Share your experiences!