“mould” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BLUE Sydney

You added BLUE Sydney to your Saves list
BLUE Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Cowper Wharf Rd, The Wharf at Woolloomooloo, Sydney, New South Wales 2011, Australia (Formerly W Hotel)   |
Ranked #32 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Langwarrin, Australia
“mould”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

i just spent a 4 night stay at the blue hotel, due to a cancelled flight, i arrived late into the hotel at about 10.30 pm, my problem. i had to drag 2 suitcases from the taxi all the way into the base of the stairs that lead to the front desk, no sign of porter for a good 7 or 8 minutes, ginally while at front desk i noticed porter putting my 2 cases onto the trolley, this was the least of the problems i encounted.

i was so tired and sore, i got room service to send up a hamburger for dinner at 10.30pm. food was great.

went to bed, got up the next morning to have a shower.......aghhhhhhhhhhh, mould and stains all over the floor of the shower base and mould over the walls at eye level, i am 160cms, and i was eyeballing mould straight ahead on shower walls, in and around the soap holder,

i paid for 4 nights for a superior loft room on the city side to share a room with mould. i made a complaint on the first day, and asked a female staff member to check the shower, and try and fix the problem, and check other equivilant rooms to get me moved into a cleam shower room, when i returned later in the day, i got told the other 2 similar rooms had the same problems, i complained every day to many staff members, and the only option offered was i had to live with the mould. eventually i asked for the duty manager on thelast day of me stay, who is a very nice guy, who i asked to come and inspect the shower with me, he entered the bathroom and actually gasped with horror before i spoke.

so i got to spent a full rate of money for room 515 to have to wear thongs into the shower every day and night. no offer or replacement was made to me while i was in the hotel, so obviously my money and time were of no signifigance to this hotel, as they took my money a month earlier and gave me a mouldy shower in return.

i cant afford to return again to this hotel, to have the mouldy room, especially as my first visit 2 years was fantastic.

obviously the hotel managent reply to this complaint will be we have had a change of ownership and management, but in this case, it is not a reason for a lack of hygene
as a oncology nurse, i find this a poor excuse for poor hygeniene practises in treating its guests this way, and to charge full daily rate for the priveledge is disgusting and if cleaning is this bad before the renovations, goodness how bad they will be after the rooms get renovated

pull upyour cleaning habits

Room Tip: inspect showers before u make reservations
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We often stay in Sydney for a weekend away and this time we opted for a more relaxed hotel away from the hustle and bustle but close enough to everything Sydney has to offer. We checked in to the amazing renovated historical Blue Sydney and were immediately taken in by the contemporary lobby, we were eager to see more. The lifts take you up just a few floors with a birds eye view over the lobby bar where a gorgeous space is revealed, I know where we will be later tonight! The Loft suite was our secret haven for the weekend with all the little luxuries expected. The bathrobe was fluffy and cosy and the Peter Morrissey amenities a lovely touch. Breakfast the following morning was very relaxed with everything you would expect and more, nothing was too much trouble from the very attentive team. The hotel is in a great location with some of Sydney's best restaurants right on the wharf, we had dinner at China Doll, very good. If you are heading into the city for shopping or to the Rocks we paid around AUD$10 for a taxi. All in all we left Blue Sydney feeling relaxed and having enjoyed our experience and would not hesitate in returning or recommending the hotel to anyone.
Thank you for our Blue stay.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Staff service was excellent; beds very comfortable; quiet stay. Not in CBD but an interesting part of Sydney and near good restaurants, etc. Easy 20 minute walk into CBD. Fabulous architecture of the wharf warehouse. Buffet breakfast very reasonable and good selection. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the naval docks; found that interesting. Could not comment on other side...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Adam T, General Manager at BLUE Sydney, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Anonymous255068,

Thank you for your contribution pertaining to your recent experience at Blue.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel, our services, and most importantly the team. They are always looking for new ways to go above and beyond for our guests. I am so pleased you found them so accommodating.

I note you were on the Pier side facing the naval base. I agree it is an interesting view. On the other side you can see the Botanical Gardens and the city skyline. Perhaps next time you could give that a go?

Thanks for taking time out of your day to post this feedback.

Pompano Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I had a fabulos time in Sydney and it was great to come home at night to The Blue. The room was very comfortable as was the bedding and pillows. And believe me when I say pillows because I'm a pillow girl. The architecture has a interesting history and in blinded in both beauty and ambiance. Now let talk about the staff....... Honestly, five star, each and every one of the staff members were more then accomadicating. The facility has several exceptional restaurants on property. Ymmmm. The Blue Sydney is located next to Botanical Gardens whitch leads to the Sydney Opera House and the Harbor. You your lucky enough to book the Blue you'll enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor and face the harbor.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Adam T, General Manager at BLUE Sydney, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Carolyn328,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review!

I am delighted that you were so enamoured with the hotel and our amazing team. Woolloomooloo Wharf is the longest wooden structure in the world and she actually turns 100 this year. This centenary also marks 100 years since troops left from our dock for WWI. The history is totally mesmerising.

Surrounded by the fabulous restaurants that grace our presence, and only a short walk from the Botanical Gardens and Opera House as you mention, I also agree the location is spot on!

I do look forward to seeing you again when you return to the Harbour City.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We have just come home in Switzerland after a five-month trip all over Australia and New Zealand. We spent almost 150 nights in accommodations, but our five nights in „Blue Sydney“ in March 2015 were by far the worst experience for us during the whole trip. And also worse than everything we had seen in dozens of 5 Star Hotels all over the world before (Africa and Latin America included...).
We had booked in „Blue Sydney“ on Booking.com because it promised „Pier View“ and a large room (58m2). But when we stepped into our room, we only saw a parking lot with parked cars, a noisy road and a petrol station . And the room seemed also much smaller than 58m2. I complained to the reception that we wouldn’t accept this room because it didn’t correspond to our booking. But a second room, proposed by the staff at the desk, was exactly the same. „Where is the pier view we have booked and paid for?“, I asked. Answer of the manager: „In the definition of the hotel, this is pier view.“...
After 55 minutes of waiting and very disagreeable discussions, the impolite and arrogant manager Tony proposed an upgrading to „wharf view“ which would cost $50 more per night. We didn’t want to lose a cancellation fee of more than $300. So, we finally accepted, though this room also offered much more road view (and noise!) than wharf view. And a window frame (inside the room) was full of old dirt and dust. It had certainly never been cleaned since several months! (foto!)
A little bit later, we measured the dimensions of the room (same size as the two rooms seen before). Result (bathroom and toilet included!): maximum 40m2! Unbelievable: „Blue Sydney“ sells you 58m2, but you get only 40m2! And the bathroom: not even 4m2 (1.80* 1.80m), toilet and bathtub included! Must be the smallest bathroom in a Five Star at least in Australia... After several e-mails and the intervention of Booking.com, the hotel finally offered to pay back $250 - our final bill for 5 nights had been $2099.48! We had got 31% fewer square meters than booked, and the hotel offered an amount of compensation of 11%...
The general manager has got enough time to comment on every guest review on tripadvisor (and to explain to discontented guests why they are wrong...). But obviously, he hasn’t got enough time for his real job: to make sure that his hotel is well run.
Such a wonderful historic wharf building and such a bad hotel. It’s a shame!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Adam T, General Manager at BLUE Sydney, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Howisa,

I am very sorry to read of your upset from your recent stay with us.

I understand that the Pier View Loft you had booked was provided at check-in, and that you then subsequently upgraded to a Marina View Loft after speaking with Tony.

I understand that Tony's replacement Thomas has been in touch and has offered a generous suggestion to compensate for this. I am sorry that you have refused.

I am very disappointed to read the personal attack on myself. Perhaps if I heard from you during your stay I would have had the opportunity to resolve the issue to your satisfaction so that you would have been able to enjoy the remainder of your stay. Naturally a review here after your stay cannot fix your actual experience, which is always what I try to achieve in these types of situations. Had I not been able to resolve your concerns, then perhaps a personal attack would be more understandable.

As always, I will use your feedback to ensure that my team are better equipped to resolve these types of concerns in a more efficient and appropriate manner.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Love the location just a bit away from the hustle and bustle of the business district, yet close enough (a 12-minute walk or 4-minute taxi ride) to everything that Sydney has to offer. The complex itself houses several restaurants that are popular both with visitors and the local crowd. The structure is pretty much an authentic wharf with an interesting design and cool interior spaces. The rooms are large for Sydney standards with comfortable beds, impeccably clean and nice, well-lit bathrooms. Personally I like the rooms facing the marina side but that's a matter of preference. The service was great throughout my stay, speedy check-in and check-out, prompt room service, friendly bar staff, etc. Overall in a city like Sydney, where hotel rates tend to be on the high side, BLUE Sydney provides excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Adam T, General Manager at BLUE Sydney, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear TravelTastic4Ever,

You have pretty much summed up all the great qualities Blue has to offer.

The adjoining restaurants are some of Sydney's most respected. Otto and China Doll would probably be the stand-out two. But really, you can't go wrong with any of them.

I do really appreciate the time you have taken to provide us this feedback. I assure you that it will be shared with the team.

I hope to see you again soon.

Greater Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Such a beautiful property with loads of character. As soon as you take the glass lift up to your room you appreciate the uniqueness of this hotel. In a great location on the pier, with a number of restaurants and bars to choose from. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city yet only a short walk into town if you are looking to venture in. I stayed on the top floor in a Marina Loft room which was very comfortable. King bed and very modern ensuite with a huge bath upstairs. There was also a toilet on the bottom floor of the room which was very convenient. There is a very trendy bar in the centre of the hotel which has a great atmosphere and was perfect for a cocktail before heading out on the town. Buffet breakfast in the cafe was of much better standard than other hotels.The staff were fantastic throughout the whole stay and always greeted you throughout the hotel. I actually left a personal item in the hotel room and the week after my stay I was in the CBD for work and a staff member contacted me and personally delivered the item to my door!!! I will definitely be returning and highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Adam T, General Manager at BLUE Sydney, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Blc0077,

Wow - what can I say?

Thank you for staying, and thanks for the review! The team will love this one.

Your feedback is really the reason we are here. To provide a memorable experience and provide all the service and attention you need.

I hope you now make Blue your hotel of choice for all future Sydney getaways.

Adam Taloni

Been to BLUE Sydney? Share your experiences!