“...a surprise, and a great one!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BLUE Sydney

Save Saved
You added BLUE Sydney to your Saves list
BLUE Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Cowper Wharf Rd, The Wharf at Woolloomooloo, Sydney, New South Wales 2011, Australia (Formerly W Hotel)   |
Ranked #38 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Australia
“...a surprise, and a great one!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Its chic, edgy, contemporary and architecturally interesting. The service is first class from the moment you arrive on the kerb outside the hotel. Check in procedures are friendly and immediate. The concierge knowledge is encyclopedic. Customer service is clearly a priority from every member of staff. The rooms are furnished in a very comfortable contemporary fashion and space is utilized to the max. The restaurants in the immediate vicinity are excellent as are those in the surrounding suburbs should you with to walk a little further afield. My initial reservations about it being family friendly were dispelled when my 5 year old announced that it was '...the best hotel ever, dad'. Easy walking to the city, botanical gardens and swimming pools. Taxi drives to the CBD are easy and fast. All round winner. (Ben Johnson - keep commenting - that's customer service)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Benj832, Director of Sales at BLUE Sydney, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your support, and for the great comments, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are definitely family friendly and by end of December will be implementing Kids @ Taj which will comprise of separate registration for kids, journal, sketch book, bathrobe and slippers in room especially for the children and a gift pack.

We hope to see you and the family back and we are sure your 5yr old will love Kids @ Taj on the next visit.

With very best regards,

Ben & The BLUE Crew.

551 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

As you can gather from my "handle" I am fussy and honest. And I did not think that I would rave about this boutique hotel as much as I am about to. I call it "boutique" although they probably wouldn't, because it has all the best attributes of a small boutique hotel farway from the bustling city.

I think they only have 100 rooms and it is such a unique and special location, that I felt relaxed immediately entering the building. It oozes history has a great conceirge and reception staff and is a great waterfront location.

I stayed in a loft room and I highly recommend saving the extra dollars for this exceptional experience. It cost me $350 and was worth every dollar. I loved it and as my headline says, it was " The best, the best, the best"!

Everything about the room was perfect from the lighting to the tv,the blue glasses, the bed to the shower. Lovely nice touches were the plunger coffee, great books and magazines to read and and the turn down service. This was such a contrast to the Hilton in the city where I stayed the night before, and it cost me $350 also but is in a far lower league to the Blue Hotel.

Bouquets to the Taj chain for having this hotel as part of their chain. However, brickbats have to go to the Water Bar. As other reviewers have commented, it has really fallen in terms of service and quality over the years and there would now be 100 better bars (and thats no exaggeration) in Sydney. To pay $18 for a Mojito and for the bartender to take 15 minutes to make it and then make it wrong with virtually no-one else in the bar is unforgivable. Combined with surly service, this bar lets down Blue Hotel.

However the reason I stayed was for the room. In addition, there are some excellent restaurants right next door, so it really is the best hotel in Sydney, if not Australia. Highly recommended for business and pleasure travellers alike. Thanks and I cannot wait for my next visit :)

Room Tip: Book a loft room on the city side and enjoy the bliss.....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Benj832, Director of Sales at BLUE Sydney, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read your ‘headline’ and respond, your comments in full will certainly be distributed to all Department Heads.

Overall thank you for leaving such positive comments regarding the service and accommodations, we believe our property is stunning, and yes we do position ourselves as being boutique at 100 rooms.

Regarding WaterBar, we are disappointed to read about your experience and have this taint your stay at BLUE. When next in Sydney our Food & Beverage Manager and myself would like the opportunity to apologize by hosting you for a few Mojito’s in WaterBar – I can be contacted via the Sales Department.

Thank you once again for your honest and overall wonderful review of BLUE Sydney.

The BLUE Crew.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a fantastic overnight stay @ Blue. The amazingly interesting building makes a nice change from the larger 5 star chains, and you can feel the history in the iconic wharf come to life as you wander throughout the building. The room was very spacious and well appointed, with an extremely generous bathroom, and the floor to ceiling windows make it feel like you are actually 'on' the harbour. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIPs. Cameron gave a great historical account of the building and the local area before showing us to our room, while Tony took care of our car, relieving us of any parking worries... In fact each and every staff member showed an interest in us and made us feel very welcome. We dined at Criniti's on the pier and would definitely go back, both for the food and the location (try the Pork Belly skewers). I can't comment on a "Blue" breakfast, because we couldn't resist the opportunity for brekkie and great coffee @ Harry's Cafe de Wheels. All in all a fantastic city escape without the chaos of being in the heart of town. (PS the best hotel towels I have encountered)

Room Tip: views of the marina and city skyline from the western side - Naval dockyards from the eastern side
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your great review of BLUE Sydney, it is a pleasure to read, and I shall ensure that Cameron and Tony are recognized.

The Finger Wharf has so much history, it is quite incredible and standing grand at over 100yrs of age still holds the title of the Longest Pile Driven Wharf in the World. If only the walls could talk there would be tales of Wheat and Wool exports, Troops departing for WW1 and WW2, returning Troops from many conflicts and Migrants arriving via The Finger Wharf to make Australia home.

We are also glad you enjoyed and recognized our service delivery – something we do pride ourselves on as belonging to Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces.

We hope to see you back at BLUE, and next time we will buy you a coffee in BLUE Café.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had a fantastic stay at the Blue. Situated in the iconic fingerwharf, this is a great location if you want to be away from the hustle of the city centre but still have some of Sydney's best restaurants literally at your doorstep. (Otto and China Doll are in the same building.) The hotel itself is a magnificent renovation of a former working wharf. Our bedroom overlooked Garden Island and perhaps Sydney's best known late night eatery Harry's Cafe de Wheels. The pool and gym are nice with sunbeds set out in a quiet sunny area adjacent to the pool. It is part of the Taj group of hotels and the service was what you would expect from this group. The bar area is also beautiful and particularly relaxing place to have a drink. Highly recommended.

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your lovely review of BLUE Sydney.

You have really touched on all of our favorite points of BLUE, including Harry’s….

We do hope to see you back at BLUE again in the future, and there is more to do and see now with the ‘new’ Criniti’s restaurant having recently opened on the Wharf.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Woolloomooloo and the Blue: location is great, 10-20 min walk thru the Botanical gardens to the Opera , ferry terminals, the Rocks etc. The hotel is an amazingly done restoration work, quirky and different, architects dream! Service great, very good cleaning service, lovely chocolates each night for turn down. We had a loft suite with Navy views. For the location it is quiet, swimming pool is good, cold in the breakfast area but due to the fact that it is a historical listed building could not have Air con installed in those areas, gas heaters provided to each table when needed. Air conditions in the rooms are a little noisy.

Room Tip: Rooms far from the reception area are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of BLUE Sydney.

We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and also took the time to explore the area on foot.

Our building does have some challenges with heating but we believe the trade-off for such a stunning and unique structure is worth it.

We hope to see you back at BLUE and certainly now as we enter spring and summer and the harbor comes alive.

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is the second time my family and I have stayed in the hotel. Our previous stay was when the hotel was the W. It's a very cool hotel but this doesn't make up for some glaring negatives. Firstly it was bitterly cold in Sydney and the eating, bar, lobby area is freezing! Breakfast was not an enjoyable experience even with two gas heaters placed next to the table. The high ceilings and open-ended building tend to create a wind tunnel which is excruciating! Secondly the wifi. Between myself, my husband and daughter, we had phones, an ipad and a laptop and assumed one connection would be charged. Instead we were charged per device to connect to the wifi! This is the first time we have encountered this and felt it was gouging at its worst! Thirdly, the pool. After a cold day walking around Sydney my daughter and I were looking forward to getting in the spa pool only to find it was freezing! We had to ask to have it turned up, which took at least 20 minutes before it started to warm up. Thinking this was an oversight we trudged down to the pool the next day (it's a long way from the rooms) only to find the same thing! My husband went to reception and asked if it could be turned up. Thinking they would respond we waited another 45 minutes then went back to the pool - still cold! I gave up at this point and went back to the room for a hot bath. My final gripe is the reason I won't be returning to the hotel. When we checked in we were told the Water Bar is an award winning bar. It certainly looks impressive particularly from the fifth floor. We invited friends to the hotel at 4pm on a Saturday to join us for a drink thinking it would be a nice place to meet. We sat in the bar (again it was bitterly cold!) and waited for some service. Although there didn't seem to be any staff around there were two women sitting next to us drinking champagne and enjoying afternoon tea. When I finally located a staff member she told us the bar didn't open until 5pm! Apparently the couple next to us had pre-ordered their drinks and food on the internet! What's the point in having a great bar if it's not open for guests to enjoy? The whole thing was ridiculous. It's a shame as the hotel has plenty of great things going for it. The rooms are lovely, beds comfortable and the location is fantastic but unfortunately there were just too many issues to justify a return.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your extensive review of BLUE Sydney, we certainly acknowledge your feedback and will discuss internally.

Part of the attraction and uniqueness of our building is the fusion of heritage with contemporary décor. Due to the heritage nature of the structure [the longest pile driven wharf in the world] there are certain challenges, and one is heating the enormous structure which is virtually impossible without compromising the integrity of the building. Thus we do need to heat using the Gas heaters that broadly speaking are effective.

The Internet supplied to us, as to many hotels is provided by a third party which we do not have full control over, that said we are currently re-configuring our interface to allow for 3 devices to be connected at once for the one fee of AU$15, this will be resolved shortly.

I apologize for the delay in the heating of the spa and this is being discussed internally with the appropriate Department Heads.

I also apologize for the confusion with the WaterBar – the bar opens at 5pm daily, 7 days per week. We do also have High Tea served in the Bar which must be pre-booked as it is served individually. The staff should have communicated this to you a little better or arranged a little ‘something’for you and your guests until the bar opened.

We do appreciate your feedback, it has been discussed internally in detail with our Department Heads for learning, and we do hope to see you back at BLUE one day.

Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is unique. The rooms are furnished so beautifully and with a great view. The service was detailed and thorough. We especially enjoyed the turn down service each night and the chocolates. The hotel is so close to the domain and the Botanical Gardens, so walking to many hot spots was pleasureable.
We enjoyed the proximity of Potts Point with all its eateries and wine bars too.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the naval barracks are quiet
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review of BLUE Sydney.

With refurbishment recently completed on the rooms, we do think they are looking particularly nice at the moment, and turndown is a great touch we offer as a member of The Leading Hotels of the World.

We are also glad you enjoyed our proximity to many attractions. We have also just introduced two push bikes for exploring the foreshore on, or taking a picnic hamper into the Royal Botanic Gardens.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you back at BLUE in the future.

The BLUE Crew

Been to BLUE Sydney? Share your experiences!