“If you're on a budget, why not” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Metro Hotel Sydney Central

Save Saved
You added Metro Hotel Sydney Central to your Saves list
Metro Hotel Sydney Central
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   431-439 Pitt Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #98 of 183 hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“If you're on a budget, why not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Have stayed here a few nights prior to jetting off overseas. The hotel is handy to Central station which I needed so i could train it to the airport. Check- in was straight forward for me, although another guest was having quite a bit of trouble with his. Good size rooms, nicely appointed. Didn't eat in the hotel as there are plenty of options nearby. Cheap breakfasts in cafes close to hotel. Have booked to stay here again due to price and location. Be careful when booking as there is another Metro Hotel in Pitt St.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Stefanos V, Front Office Manager at Metro Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Richard,
Thank you for your recent stay and feedback.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be happy to see you again during your next trip to Sydney.

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here in June 2012 and gave a really good rating but this time I wasn't as happy with my stay.
I stayed here on 9th & 10th Feb before my cruise with my partner, I had room 817 which was right outside the fire escape.I did ask for a quiet room and not near Pitt Street when I booked the accommodation and I wasn't near Pitt Street but I think I was near the lane way and it did seem noisy and when someone had a shower from the upstairs room the sound came through my room as if someone was having a shower in my room.

I had also advised when I rang to check up on the checkout time that I would be leaving at 11am and when I came back to my room at 10:50 found that I couldn't get into my room at all as the key had been deactivated.

The room was small but it was ok for 2 nights, my partner only stayed with me for the night before the cruise. The shower was and enclosed hip bath so you had to be careful getting in and out. The toilet was in between the wall and the shower and I am a big person but if I was any bigger there would be no why I could use the toilet.

Breakfast is $15 for the buffet and in June 2012 it was very good and this time around I wasn't happy with the breakfast. The food wasn't very warm at all and the sausages need to be cooked better as when I ate mine I got to the end and was about to eat it and found it was raw and you could see the 2nd one was pink in the middle, I did tell the waitress on the way out that the sausages needed to be checked and maybe recooked but I think she was more interested in txting on her mobile phone. I'm glad I didn't prepay for breakfast for the 2 mornings.

The staff member that I dealt with when booking in an out was really nice and he also grabbed a cab for me to get down to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Will I stay here again I'm not sure at this stage.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Stefanos V, Front Office Manager at Metro Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear relic1964,
Thank you for your feedback and recent stay with us. I have passed your feedback on to the relevant departments and we will do our best to rectify the issues raised.
We will be happy to see you again stay with us in the future.
Southampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The room was comfortable but looked out on brick walls so the view was limited. However this had rhe advantage that there was no traffic noise. Guests coming in late at night could easily be heard as it was difficult to shut the room door quietly.
The room was clean and the air conditoning efficient.
Internet access was available but at a cost.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The Hotel is well located for China Town and close to lots of restaurants.
Circular Quay and Darling Harbour are within walking distance.
The hotel offers a good location, reasonable accomodaton and is priced well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John,
Thank you for your feedback and recent stay with us. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our hotel of good value and location.
Unfortunately, as we are located in Sydney's CBD, not all rooms offer views. For your next stay, request a street view room and we will do our best to accommodate this.
We are looking forward to see you again in the future.
Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked Metro Sydney Central 3 days before my trip through Wotif. I booked based on price (I didn’t want anything extravagant), supposed value for money, and location (as I was travelling alone, I didn’t want to be staying anywhere seedy, or somewhere that would be a cab ride from anywhere that I wanted to be).

Location - the hotel is opposite the Capital Theatre, in the heart of China Town, a stroll from Darling Harbour, Pitt Street Mall etc. It’s a bit further to the Rocks and Opera House, but still within walking distance. Chat Thai is literally next door to the hotel, and serves delicious Thai food.

Room – the room was quite small, but appeared to be recently (albeit a bit tackily) refurbished. The professional pictures make them look far nicer and roomier than they are in real life. Bathroom was old old and definitely in need of a renovation. It took a lot of fiddling to get water to come out of the shower rather than the bath. Pipes were extremely noisy – which doesn’t make for a good sleep. Doors to the rooms don’t shut, they slam – and so you’ll find that you’re waking up a lot during the night. Walls are really thin, so you can hear every word your neighbours whisper. The TV shows some good channels, but I found that I couldn’t increase the volume at all – maybe to keep the noise down, to let the aforementioned neighbours get some sleep.

Amenities – I didn’t make use of the restaurant in the hotel. Breakfast wasn’t included in the price, and I didn’t feel like paying $25 for some toast and eggs, when there are so many cafes/restaurants around the corner from the hotel. There was no wifi included in the price, but from memory it wasn’t too expensive to buy. I didn’t try the pool, but it looks nice from the pictures. It takes a long long time for the lifts to come to your floor – be prepared to wait, or take the stairs if you’re in a hurry.

Gripes – TV volume, lifts (previously mentioned), and, on the last day of my stay (the morning I was checking out), I was woken up by the housekeeping lady at 8:00 AM. On my walk to the room door I found the entrance to my room was flooded (not exaggerating), the carpet was soaked. The housekeeping lady had noticed this and wanted to check if it was my bathroom that was flooding (it wasn’t). Apparently some pipe had burst (I mentioned the noisy old pipes earlier). I didn’t receive an apology from the hotel, they pretended that this was totally normal, for my luggage to be damaged by the damp (or maybe – given their old pipes, it IS totally normal).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Lisa K, Manager at Metro Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Oods11

Thank you for your kind feedback, we are in a great location and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, looking forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards Lisa Kapinski - EAM
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Don't stay here if you want to spend a lot of time in your room and/or you like to stay in the lap of luxury. It's a good value for money option if you just need somewhere to sleep and wash in a convenient ocation. Beds are comfortable, there's a good shower, the rooms are small but not pokey and the staff are friendly and efficient. Get a good price and have realistic expectations.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear obie0111

Thank you for your feedback regarding the stay at the property, we do try and keep the cost of rooms as reasonable as possible. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards Lisa Kapinski - EAM
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Keep in mind this is Sydney we are talking of. Hotels, food etc it all costs a bomb so by that benchmark, the hotel is value for money. We were a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids and stayed for 4 nights. The location is good, a short walk away from Darling Harbour and the IMAX theatre. Plenty of things close by for the kids - park, Mc Donalds, Maritime museum. It is also close to the hop on, hop off bus which is a must do for all tourists to Sydney. Definitely not the best hotel i have stayed in but what the heck when you are on holiday with the family at times you need places which just do the job and are not really that fancy. We didn't eat a single meal at the hotel, not even breakfast. Since CBD is pretty close by we ate breakfast at the excellent cafes close by.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor and something which faces Darling Harbor