“Beautiful Hotel-Short on Amenities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grace Hotel Sydney

You added Grace Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Grace Hotel Sydney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   77 York Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #35 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Beautiful Hotel-Short on Amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

First let me say I am American from the US Midwest. So there are probably norms in Australia that I missed. Considet this as you read this review.

The Grace Hotel has a lot to love. It is a historic hotel, the location is good and the basic room is large and well appointed. The down side is that it misses in key areas. The best thing about the Grace...the shower! Now many will hate the very small bathroom, the shower is basically in an old style tub, but the magic happened when the water came through the shower head. This made me forget the awkward shower, the dangerously slippery tub and the round...not oval toilet.

My major issue for a hotel that charged $185 AUD week day and $260 AUD week end is the fact they do not offer free wireless internet service or ANY FREE internet service in the hotel. Not in the rooms, not in the lobby, not in the business center. A hotel of this class, should at least offer internet service in the lobby or cafe and free tethered service in the room. Heck, you can get that at the Best Western! Business travellers make sure you read this or pay $25 a day for service in your room. I also wish the Grace had a view...any view. In it's defense, it is in the center of Sydney's downtown and with just 11 floors, the rooftop terrace gives you a view of the building next door or the building across the street. There was a building with condos that had tennis courts on their 10th floor, but none of them ( I was on the 9th) offered anything to appreciate in the early morning light.

The Grace also makes you put your room key in a slot by the door that turns the power on. As you leave, you take your card and off the power goes. A nice green touch, however, when I intentionally left my laptop plugged in and my card in the slot so it could perform while I was out, the housekeeper pull my card (no pun intended) and my laptop eventually ran out of power. I left a not attached to my card the next day an it was left in and running.

So while charming, historic and beautiful, the Grace left me wishing I had booked the cheaper, the taller and the more exciting Hilton.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel after viewing comments on Tripadvisor. We would concur with
the positive comments regarding luxurious Art Deco styled rooms, high ceilings, quiet but central location, and close to the Train Station. The staff were extra friendly and the rooms
spacious and comfortable. We were able to make our way easily to Wynyard Station and
a 20 minutes train trip to the Airport.

Room Tip: Avoid the lower floors at present, as refurbishment is underway.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Booking a Mystery deal on those hotel sites, can be risky, but by the description and the amenities described it seemed like a great deal. So when we got the confirmation we got the Grace hotel I could not be happier. When we arrived to Sydney from Melbourne we were greeted by the elegance of the hotel and it's art deco. Check in was fast and friendly. Our room was clean, roomy and comfortable, especially the beds. . My only complaint was that the person at front desk gave us a 2 bed bedroom, instead of providing a queen size bed. However I did not complain that time, as my hubby at the time had a very bad cold. Another great thing is that the Grace hotel was very close to darling harbour, and city shopping areas and also the likes of many bars and restaurants. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is our second stay at the Grace. The first was over 10 years ago so we were slightly unsure of whether our memories of the first fantastic stay were accurate. The hotel itself is in a great location actually better than I expected, the monorail, darling harbour and city shopping are all within close walking distance. The room itself it spacious, on checkin we were given a room with a walk in shower but we would have preferred a bath. A quick call to reception and this was arranged swiftly. The gym facilities were of good quality as were the pool and spa although we did not utilise them on this trip. Room service was well priced with no complaints. Bed was comfortable which is a strong factor in us liking a hotel.There are not many downfalls but I would have to comment on the noise on the Saturday night, having stayed from Thursday to Sunday the noise from pubs/nightclubs below was overwhelming on the Saturday night. Firstly I'm young and can handle a bit of noise but until 3am wasn't great. Given that we were on the 9th floor I would hate to think what it would have been like down lower. We were charged a fee of $100 a night as a bond so $300 overall, I understand this is common practice amongst some hotels but this would be off putting if I was staying for 7 nights, particularly as the reversal does not immediately come off the credit card.

Room Tip: Probably higher up or on inside room on the weekend to avoid street noise below.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Great location - just minutes walk to the harbour, train station. Great for hanging around in the city CBD.
Friendly staff - nice service.
Hotel room is clean and comfortable with reasonable size - comfortable to stay. Facilities are also maintained well.
Also with quite nice pool and spa facilities.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Burton-on-Trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

This hotel is a converted version of the Grace Brothers department store. It is very well placed for exploring Sydney (a short walk to both The Rocks and Circular Quay as well as a monorail station). The room was adequate (we were offerd an upgrade, but we didn't want to spend the extra $30 per night for this). We thought breakfast was excessively expensive ($32 unless you booked it the night before when it dropped to $22), so we went to a small cafe in The Rocks. The staff were friendly. There is a rather good Irish theme pub on the ground floor. I am not normally fond of these plastic places, but this one had people who actually knew how to serve Guinness. The bar food was good value as well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed for three nights in the Grace. I chose it because the conference that I was attending was being held at the hotel and, after checking the Trip Advisor reviews, thought I would stay there. As there was torrential rain in Sydney over this period, I was very glad that I did. It was also convenient to be able to duck back to my room at lunch time etc.

Check in was seamless & quick and all the staff in the lobby appeared pleasant. I was on the 10th floor and out of the side of the window, I could even catch a glimpse of Darling Harbour.

I was pleasantly surprised with the spaciousness of the room and the bathroom. The furnishings were tasteful and reflected the historic nature of the hotel. The bed was comfy with adequate lighting for reading and the block out curtains really did keep the room nice and dark. The hotel is in the heart of the CBD, so street noise was a bit of an issue in my room as it overlooked York St (I'm a really light sleeper), but with ear plugs was pretty quiet (I'd suggest going for the highest floor possible of noise is an issue and maybe an internal room). There wasn't much noise from the adjacent room (only a couple of times heard small bathroom noises).

Overall, I was really happy with the hotel and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for the highest floor possible to minimise street noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grace Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!