“Best location, best bed and great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel

You added Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel to your Saves list
Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   389 Pitt Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Avillion Hotel)   |
Ranked #59 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Adelaide, Australia
“Best location, best bed and great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have been travelling to Sydney for many years and just pick the best value 4star+ hotel. Occasionally stayed at Rydges World Square and fell in love with the place. The location is the best, stacks of great restaurants within 100 metres of the hotel open till late. A far cry from the CBD hotels, you can't get food anywhere after 8:30pm.

The rooms are slightly dated, but the beds are the most comfortable by far (yes better than the Westin/ Starwood heavenly bed). A/V is good and bathroom is fine.

Then there is the staff, many who have been here for 5 years+. Just great. Try the restaurant too, best hotel food ever (well mid priced hotel food).

In summary, highly recommended, if you can get in.

Stayed November 2013
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
GregSteer, many thanks for such an outstanding review and your continued loyalty to Rydges World Square. It’s always a pleasure having you stay with us.

I trust we will see you again very soon.

John McIlwain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I was sent on a course held at Rydges World Square so naturally, I stayed at this hotel for a period of 4 days and 3 nights. I was upgraded by the manager and I found my stay to be most relaxing. The manager personally wrote a note for my stay. All my colleagues were quite envious. I would freely recommend this hotel for my friends and workmates.

However there was one incident that caused you to lose that one star from me. Because of the excellent personal service from the majority of the staff, I am happy to overlook this incident. I will mention this incident briefly in my con.

Of course with all my reviews, I am quite forthcoming with my views.

Here are the pros:
- The MAJORITY of the staff members were generally helpful
- Facilities were excellent
- Food was excellent
- Location is prime
- Excellent view from my room into World Square shopping Centre
- Reasonably Priced rooms

Cons:
- A smile and some interpersonal skills can go a long way: I asked for a chargeback to my company and get my credit card refunded. A young Asian (male) staff at the counter at the time used a borderline condescending tone when telling me to get my office to call up reservations for this to be done. Its not that I can't understand English. This incident did leave a sour note at my departure.
- Main entrance to the hotel can be quite hard to find especially when one side of the entrance is closed for cleaning
- Gymnasium is very hard to find

Room Tip: Choose the side facing into the shopping centre
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review and it’s wonderful to hear our hotel would be a recommendation of yours. Overall it does sound like you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass on your feedback to the reception staff to ensure our customer service standards are being maintained.

Country Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I loved this hotel. The staff were efficient and friendly. The room was a good size, the bed was comfy and they offered the pillow menu. The food and shopping on offer in World Square was great. I was here for three nights and ate at a different place, including cuisine type, every night. The breakfast spread was extensive offering cooked and continental options. I attended a conference in the hotel and having a cafe available for coffee throughout the day was handy. I would stay here for business or pleasure again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks Pennie00 for your review. It’s always a pleasure reading positive comments about our wonderful staff and their customer service.

It’s great that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Moree, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I travelled to Sydney for the long weekend this year to visit family and take my daughter (who is one) to the zoo and aquarium. Rydges World Square is not a child friendly hotel in the traditional sense, there is no pool or games room. However staff went above and beyond to accomodate both myself and my daughter. The staff steralised bottles for me, did not charge my daughter to eat breakfast, answered very diffucult questions I had in regards to the babysitting the hotel offers and were eager to help no matter what the problem. I am blown away by the service Rydges World Square showed to my family. I think I may have called reception at least 15 times. They provided me with assistance immediatly for a range of issues such as dinner reservations, taxi numbers, directions they even told us where a bottlo was so we could have one or two (IN OUR ROOM). Some hotels have big issues with this but Rydges World Square was very accomodating. The first night we arrived I went to the desk to pay. I was quoted a higher price than I had booked on the net, I did not have my paperwork but I queried the price anyway. The receptionist at the desk immediatly ammended it no questions asked, my bags were delivered to my room and every day the doorman would tell us to have a nice day. Rydges World Square you have hit the nail on the head I and my family plan to be back time and time again and I have already reccomended you to family members and friends. Thankyou for the lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your stay at Rydges World Square. It’s very pleasing to hear that our staff were very friendly and accommodating during your stay. We do strive to possess excellent customer service at Rydges World Square and it definitely sounds like we have provided it during your stay. I will definitely pass on your wonderful comments to the Reception and Concierge team.

It was a pleasure having you with us.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Finding an affordable hotel in Sydney on the budget allowed by my employer is a challenge. Being a member of Rydges Priority Guest program, I was able to take advantage of a special price on condition that check-in was not available until after 8.30pm. Check-in was smooth and the service was great - smiles are always appreciated. The room was a good size for one person on a business trip and the bed very comfortable. I especially appreciated the peace and quiet which made for a restful night. The bathroom surprisingly had a separate shower and the only negative for me was the vanity unit being somewhat lacking in surface space for cosmetics etc. A note for housekeeping - more attention to detail is required, the hair in the bathtub was not attractive.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out onto the central atrium are quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
happyday59, thank you for taking the time to review. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to our Reception team who provided you with a friendly and efficient check in. I will also pass your feedback on to Housekeeping to ensure we are maintaining our standard of service.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

This hotel is surprisingly good and in a great location. The service and check-in was easy and we were upgraded to a suite. The view was looking at another building. The room was very quiet and clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast was also good quality with plenty of healthy options.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade to a suite with a view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks Tania d, for your great review. I’m glad we were able to accommodate an upgrade to one of our suits on your stay with us.

I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Sydney.

Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was surprised by this hotel. Check in was a breeze, super quick and we were located on the 19th floor overlooking Pitt St. For a hotel in the middle of the city on a Friday and Saturday night, I was very surprised at how quiet it was. The room was a good size, clean and the bathroom large with separate bath and shower. The location above World Square was good, an easy walk from Museum station, to Town Hall, QVB or Westfield and plenty of food choices directly below as well as Coles open 6am to midnight. Had a drink at the Square Bar, which was good, didn't use any other facilities. I would stay again.
We booked through HotelTravel.com and got a good deal and no problems.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your check in was quick and efficient.

I hope to see you again at Rydges World Square.

John McIlwain

Been to Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel? Share your experiences!