“Great value in China Town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aarons Hotel Sydney Central

Save Saved
You added Aarons Hotel Sydney Central to your Saves list
Aarons Hotel Sydney Central
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   37 Ultimo Road, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #113 of 183 hotels in Sydney
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Great value in China Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed in No. 215. Soft, clean bed, great shower water pressure and nice location not far from George Street. Surprisingly quiet at night. Mini fridge, TV in room. Luxurious after staying in hostels. They even offered to hold our bags for free until our new hostel was available for check-in. $120 avg. a night.

• Stayed November 2012
Aaronssydney, Front Office Manager at Aarons Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear CompassWhistle,

Thank you for reviewing the Aarons Hotel Sydney and sharing your thoughts and experiences with fellow travelers.

It was great to read you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable during your stay and exceeded your expectations. I’m glad our staff were able to assist with storing your luggage after check-out.

Once again, I would like to thank you very much for providing valuable feedback. I hope that my team and I will be given the honour of being able to welcome you back to Aarons Hotel Sydney.

Warm Regards,

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've stayed here with family many times previously due to it's ideal location. The reception staff are always so friendly and welcoming, my room was clean and in working order. I have been in love with this building ever since my first stay and will stay here when ever i'm in Sydney.

Room Tip: Floor one has generally better rooms. (My opinion)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Aaronssydney, Front Office Manager at Aarons Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Chris R,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Aarons Hotel with other travelers.

It was lovely to read that you found our staff to be friendly and welcoming and your room met expectation. It was also great to read your appreciation of the building. You may or may not know the history of the building, but was built in the late 1800’s and was used as cold storage and also housed a fruit market to support the neighboring vegetable markets.

I can see that you are already a valued return guest of the hotel so please don’t hesitate to contact myself directly when returning for your next stay.

Warm regards,
Jamaica, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel was chosen for me on behalf of my travel agent, I had requested a stay in/near the city and public transport w/ a fridge and this hotel fit those needs.
My stay was 5 days and upon arrival (about noon) I was told my standard rm was not ready but was upgraded with ease as I had a 2p tour and needed to shower after 23hrs of flying.
The double bed rm was clean and spacious w/ everything operational i.e tv, clock and sockets. TIP: I bought an awsome Conair international converter kit from Walgreens I happened to come across in the travel size toiletries aisle for about $35. A LIFESAVER for cell phone charging, flatironing (and other US electronic use.)
Its a bit chilly in Nov but there were two blankets in the closet I doubled up with and was fine. As a past review mentioned, the beds are HEAVENLY to sleep on! Good job on that!
However, my peace of mind was short lived due to the daily early morning thumping and running of the family near by w/ kids. Although staff did their best to investigate and resolve the issue, I opted for a rm change after 2 1/2 days of their inconsiderate noise. TIP: Keep in mind the bigger the rm the more rm for more people, in this case kids, which equals more NOISE. I dont expect absolute silence but do expect quiet when its time to rest.
My new rm was now on the top floor (executive suites) which was MUCH BETTER and also clean with the same comfy bed :) I did hear the rubbish removal trucks from my exec suite rm as also mentioned in another review, but the bed was far enough from the window. The shower tiles however needed some bleaching to remove the mold and the water pressure and temperature was HORRIBLE! It seriously took me almost 30mins to bathe because I was busy toggling with the faucets to get the right temperature! There was also a cob web in the ceiling corner of the bathrm. I forgot to mention that the spare toilet paper in my original rm was dirty with some type of dried brownish coffee like stains. Perhaps they should leave the wrapping on it to prevent this.
Also I thought paying EIGHT DOLLARS to wash and dry ONE load of laundry was a complete rip off.

All in all, I was pleased with the accomodations and staff service. It was also refreshing to see a staff member noting rm specifics upon check out or post cleaning. If I do return to Sydney I would stay again and also recommend to others looking for an affordable, convenient and basic stay.

Room Tip: Hotel is surrounded by light traffic and windows are thin paned. Single bed rms for less chance of h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear MisDeeshaNY,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Aarons Hotel and in turn, help us to improve services and facilities offered to our guests.

It was great to read your comments regarding our beds. We do have beautiful new Micro Cloud bedding and are in the process of installing new beds to ensure all guests receive a great nights rest. Please accept my apologies for noise encountered during your stay and I’m very happy our staff were able to move you to a more suitable room. Please be assured I have passed on your comments regarding the Executive room to our Maintenance and Housekeeping Supervisors.

Its lovely to see should you return to Sydney, you will be staying with us again. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel. Once again MisDeeshaNY, thank you for your feedback.

Warm regards,
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here last Thursday night as we were going to the Elton John Concert ( fantastic show )
This hotel is in a wonderful location- a block from Entertainment Centre and China Town, Paddys Markets and Darling Harbour are walking distance as well. Friendly receptionists, very clean room. The beds are like sleeping on a cloud. Parking was so easy- a 24 hour carpark is made available to guests at $26 for 24 hours- great value. I only have a few small issues. The room number was not written very clearly on the card we were given. We went to room 207 which we thought was the number on the card- still being cleaned. So we asked the young lady what number she saw on the card. Ohhhh yep- thats room number 201. Wrong. So we tried room 204 and abracadabra the door opened. The traffic noise is very loud as well. The last thing has nothing to do with the hotel but has to do with the teenagers running riot up and down the hallway- knocking on doors and screaming loudly. A school had booked the hotel for around 30 students. It would have been nice if they respected the other guests.
I will deffinately stay here again. Great rooms, great staff, excellent price for the fantastic location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aaronssydney, Front Office Manager at Aarons Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Wren5758,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experiences with fellow travelers.

It was a pleasure reading your comments regarding our staff and cleanliness of the hotel. We really pride ourselves on these two aspects as they are both extremely important to us and the culture of the hotel. We have a fantastic Housekeeping team who work tirelessly each day to uphold our high standards.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the confusion regarding your room number and also for noise encountered during your stay. Unfortunately we do receive some traffic noise due to being in such a vibrant location. We always communicate to in-house groups to be mindful and considerate of our other guests. I do apologise if this was not the case and hope you advised our 24 hour reception and they were able to rectify the situation. Please do ask our reception for complimentary ear plugs on your next stay to ensure a pleasant nights rest.

Once again Wren5758, thank you for reviewing the Aarons Hotel Sydney and we look forward to be able to welcome you back to the hotel.

Warmest Regards,
Toukley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here...for two days but regretted every minute of the first day. The first night we checked in, and settling in when someone opened our door without knocking. While asleep we were awoken by rubbish trucks in the laneway, we could not sleep after that. The next morning we complained and they moved us to a room closer to the corner opposite the UTS Library. It was better but not by much. It is a great hotel for what it is, but the cost is not worth it. I would recommend elsewhere for the same price. The staff were good and very cordial and attentive. Suggest they install double glazed windows to diminish the noise. Suggest potential stayers ask for a room away from the back lane.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the noisy back lane.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Aaronssydney, General Manager at Aarons Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear MalvinaOLookathat,

Firstly I would like to thank you for sharing your most recent visit to the Aarons Hotel Sydney. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for your stay falling short of expectations and therefore not enjoying the time that you spent with us.

It deeply saddens me to hear that we were not able to offer you a more comfortable stay and we do appreciate your valuable comments. With the hotel being in such a great city location we do unfortunately find that external noise can sometimes provide us with its challenges to which we endeavour to minimise to the best of our ability.

I am however pleased that you found the staff to be professional and efficient at all times as it is our focus to ensure that we charm our guests at every opportunity offered and I am glad that this did reflect during your stay.

In regards to the value for money aspect, rates can fluctuate from time to time dependant on demand and occupancy throughout the city. Should you be returning again we would love to have you stay with us and allow us to offer a more competitive rate by contacting the hotel directly and advising us you wish to return.

We love nothing more than to see our guests return to us time and time again and should we be able to assist you in offering a more comfortable stay please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Again my sincere apologies that your stay did not meet with the usual required standards and we do hope to hear from you in the future.

Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I recently stayed at Aarons Hotel for 2 nights. I arrived early, and my room wasn't ready, but the friendly staff were more than happy to store my gear for me, as i had a trade show to attend. When I got back to the hotel, the room was ready. It was small, but clean. Also, it only had 1 bed, and my booking requested 2, as a second guest was arriving the next day. A quick, friendly phone call to reception saw me in a new room within minutes, The new room was much bigger, smelled freshly of paint. Some might complain about that, but if it wasn't painted, they'd complain even more. Personally, it wasn't an issue for me, and simply showed that the place was being looked after.
The building is old, so there are a few squeeky floor boards around, but again, it's the character of the building.
The bed was SUPER comfy!! The carpet could use replacing, but I'm in the flooring business, so I always look at the floors first. lol.
Bathroom was a pre-fab fibreglass type cubicle setup, like what I would expect to see on a boat or something similar, but it was clean, and functional. What we need to remember here is we're not paying big dollars for this hotel. If anything, the whole place was much cleaner than I was expecting.
TV reception was perfect. Tea and coffee making facilities were topped up each morning. There was no iron in my room, and upon reading the room booklet, i discovered that there was an iron in the laundry room for guests to use. I made my way there expecting to find some clapped out, abused old iron that barely works to iron my shirts with, but was surprisd to find a near new looking iron with no burn marks or crud on the face to leave dirty bits behind on my shirts. The face of it was super shiny, and well maintained.
The kettle was clean, and not all black and crusty inside like you find in many cheap hotels. I dealt with 3 different reception staff during my stay, and all 3 of them were very friendly, polite and helpful.
The toilet was dripping constantly inside the cistern, but when the bathroom door was closed you can't hear it. I didn't worry about having it looked at, but would have if the drip could be heard with the door closed.
The walls are thin, and perhaps some sort of cladding would help to muffle the discussions that can be heard from the next room (at 2am! lol), but it wasn't too much of an issue, and certainly not the hotel's fault I had a chatty lady staying in the next room.
Some people here have been complaining about the noisy elevator. It worked fine while I was there. It clunks a little, but if you don't clunk when you get a bit older, then maybe you can complain. At least you don't HAVE to take the stairs if you don't want to.
For the money I paid, I was more than happy with what I found. I would stay there again next time I need budget friendly accommodation in Sydney.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aaronssydney, General Manager at Aarons Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Namsor,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Aarons Hotel Sydney recently.

I am very pleased to see that you found the staff to be pleasant, friendly and helpful upon your arrival to the hotel. We do love getting our guests settled as quickly and efficiently as possible and even though your room was not ready upon your arrival I am glad that we were able to store your bags to allow you to attend your show.

I would also like to apologise for the miss-communication of the bed request, however I am again pleased to see that the team were able to easily rectify this for you without any inconvenience to yourself.

It may be of interest to you to know that we have just placed Micro Cloud linen into all of our rooms ensuring that our valued guests receive a comfortable night’s sleep and it is great to see that you enjoyed this aspect.

We also agree with you on the carpets in some areas and this is something that we are looking to upgrade in the next few months to offer a better ambience and décor throughout the property.

I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend us for family, friendly, value for money accommodation within the city. I am also happy to see that you will return to us in the future and should you wish to do so please don’t hesitate to contact us directly to allow us to assist you with this.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Lismore, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We went to Sydney for a school excursion and they had organised for us to stay at Arrons. Being a school group it was a great place as the rooms had multiple beds and bunks. As we were travelling with our 2 children they put us in a family room. It was very central to the city just across the road to Paddys Markets and walking distance to the centre of Sydney.
The rooms were basic but very clean with tea and coffee making facilities. The beds were very comfortable, and I am very fussy when it comes to beds. The bathrooms were small and basic but very clean with nice white towels.
We usually stay with family when in Sydney but as this was a school excursion we decided to stay with the group and I would happily recommend Aarons.
This is a great motel for small or large families or for any school excursions with large numbers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Aaronssydney, General Manager at Aarons Hotel Sydney Central, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear ChezfromAus,

I would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience of the Aarons Hotel Sydney and that you would recommend us for family and group accommodation.

I am extremely pleased that met all expectations upon staying with a group and that you enjoyed the comfort of the beds. We have recently had Micro Cloud bedding added to all of our beds and I am sure this made all the difference to your good night’s sleep.

As you mention, we too very much enjoy the location of the hotel making it easy to access all of the major attractions by either walking or just a short ride via public transport if preferred.

The Team and I would be very happy to welcome you back in the future and should you be coming to the area or friends/family are looking for accommodation please feel free to contact us directly and advise that you are a frequent guest of the Aarons Hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Joanne

Been to Aarons Hotel Sydney Central? Share your experiences!