“Does exactly what it says onthe tin!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Sydney

Save Saved
You added Travelodge Sydney to your Saves list
Travelodge Sydney
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   27 Wentworth Avenue, Sydney, New South Wales NSW 2010, Australia   |
Ranked #79 of 183 hotels in Sydney
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Does exactly what it says onthe tin!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Having visited Sydney before i picked this hotel for its central location. Also because with just 5 days of my holiday to be spent here i knew that my wife and i would be out and about seeing the sights rather than hanging about using hotel facilities. It was a great base for what we wanted to see and do in Sydney. On arrival the receptionist was friendly , fast and helpful which was great after a flight from Scotland that had a 30 hour delay. We got a room which was totally adequate, clean and bright with a fridge and microwave etc. Bathroom was spotless , bed was big and comfy. Window was small and not the best of views but this was not that important to us. We were a short walk to pubs, shops and resteraunts and great public transport is easy to access too. I used the breakfast resteraunt once for breakfast and found it a bit pricey at $19 but the food was good and you can eat what you like so if you want a huge hearty breakfast its a good option.Had some fading batteries in remote for tv and just 2 mins after calling reception a staff member was up with new ones which reflected the good service we had from start to finish at travelodge Sydney. Would totally recommend this hotel to a tourist who has a short Sydney stay, wants comfort, cleanliness and central location but does'nt want to blow their budget.

Room Tip: Think most rooms are pretty similar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HeidiHuynh, Manager at Travelodge Sydney, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable comments about your recent stay at Travelodge Sydney.
I was pleased that you enjoyed the facilities that the rooms have to offer and it to be clean and bright. I am pleased also that you found the hotel to be a great base for what you wanted to see and do in Sydney.
I was also delighted that you found the team to be friendly, fast and helpful.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you back to Travelodge Sydney sometime in the future.

1,631 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here for a week, they were very good about accommodating requests or changes I needed. Staff were friendly and professional although there was sometimes quite a long queue at reception to be helped.

I asked specifically for a quiet room and that's exactly what I got, it was on an upper floor. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and reasonably modern, everything worked, the bathroom was small but clean and well stocked, and the hair dryer had decent power. The TV was a bit unwieldy to use but that's fairly typical of hotels.

I thought it was of a good standard for a hotel in this price bracket, and since I paid less than the usual charge thanks to a Hotels.com deal, I felt it was a bargain.

I did think the breakfast was overpriced, though, so I didn't go for that option. Besides which a standard room came with everything you needed to make your own breakfast - fridge, dishes, cutlery etc.

It's close to Museum train station, Hyde Park, the city, and lots of buses and taxis going up and down Oxford St. There are also plenty of good restaurants close by. I recommend The Falconer (Italian), and for cheap, quick eats there is a group of nice takeaway places on the corner of Oxford and Crown - burgers, pizza, Mexican.

One warning about the parking building for hotel guests - it doesn't open until 8.30am on the weekend so if you need to leave early, bear that in mind.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
I was pleased that you found the hotel to be a good standard for a hotel in this price bracket and that you enjoyed the facilities the rooms have to offer, along with the location of the hotel.
I was also delighted that you found the team to be friendly and professional.
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The staff at reception were very helpful and cooperative in trying to give us exactly the type of room we prefer.

Our room included a microwave oven, a small fridge, eating utensils, and coffee and tea making facilities, with real milk in the fridge.

Chinatown was a short 7-10 minute walk with lots of restaurants, and a Coles supermarket along the way. Metro and intercity train stations and bus stops for several routes were a short walk nearby. One could easily and conveniently walk into central Sydney or over to the Kings Cross area.

We first stayed at this Travelodge in December, 2009. Our fuller review from this visit still applies. The hotel seems to have maintained its acceptable standards.

Again, we would have liked free WiFi in the rooms, or at least in the lobby. This convenience would have made the hotel more appealing. We walked up Oxford Street and used the free WiFi at a Hungry Jack's outlet; however, it would have been more convenient if we could have used the laptop in the hotel rather than carry it up the street.

In Chinatown, the Dixon House Food Court, at the corner of Dixon Street and Little Hay Street, has a broad selection of Asian cuisines at very reasonable prices from under $10. Definitely good value for money given that dining out in Australia is expensive — and you do not necessarily get anything special for the cost.

Note that if you take one of the private shuttle service buses from the hotel to the airport, check on the route from the Travelodge and the time it will take to get to Sydney airport. If the bus has its first pickup at the Travelodge, you could end up going for a tour of the hotels in the Pyrmont-Darling Harbour redevelopment area to pick up other passengers. This circuit could mean up to an hour before you will reach the International Terminal.

Room Tip: Try for a room on an upper floor and away from the lifts-elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HeidiHuynh, Manager at Travelodge Sydney, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I was pleased that you enjoyed the facilities the rooms have to offer, along with the location of the hotel.
I was also delighted that you found the team to be helpful and cooperative.
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We paid $105 a night for this place which in Sydney is not much more than you pay for a bunk in a backpackers ie. awesome price.

I was expecting the hotel to be somewhat "sterile" from the other reviews and yes it is not exceptional in terms of service or how it feels etc. It is I would rather say very business like, not unfriendly, clean, tidy and no nonsense. I think in terms of service and the room and what you get for the price this hotel is probably unbeatable in Sydney.

I asked for a room with a queen sized bed in it and was told as I booked through a third party web site that I would not be able to get one. I was a bit disappointed but I knew this was a risk when I booked for the price. BUT the rooms have easily moveable twin beds. I mean really easily moveable - they are on wheels. So we had three beds - we moved 2 together and it was perfect. I know some people would have been disappointed even with this but my wife and I were happy with te end result.

Didn't try the breakfast as there are just too many better options in the area. Speaking of the area if you want to go to the CBD, Darlinghurst or Surry Hills it is right there. There is even a really nice pub across the road that has live music pretty much every night. 5 minutes to Chinatown. Basically you actually couldn't get a better location if you want a taste of the "real Sydney".

The hotel is a 7 minute walk from the Airlink train from Sydney airport, less than 10 minutes to most rental cars in East Sydney and it took us 30 minutes to walk to Circular Quay.

So if the price stays the same this is a steal - just book it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HeidiHuynh, Manager at Travelodge Sydney, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I was pleased to read that you found the rooms to be clean, tidy and excellent value for money, and that you enjoyed the location of the hotel for exploring Sydney.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Sydney sometime in the future.

Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

It wasnt the best place I have stayed but it was in good location for walking, the room was adequate, we had to push the beds together to make a queen size. the free in room movies did not work and if you pay for the breakfast make sure you ask for the ticket they didn't give ours with our room key. the room was warm with the cooler on full blast. The staff was friendly and answered any question we had. Internet

Room Tip: if you dont spend much time in the room its a good place to stay for the price
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I was pleased to read that you found the rooms to be adequate and the location of the hotel suitable for walking around Sydney.

In regards to your comment about being allocated a twin room, I can only imagine that you had booked on a website where we clearly state that the bedding will be either a queen or a twin and cannot be guaranteed. We do ask you to advise your preferred bedding, and while we try to accommodate all requests, there are some times when it’s just not possible.

The hotel also offers movies as a 'pay per view' option in the room and I can only assume that the reason they were not working was that you need to confirm that you wish to pay for them before they are charged to your account, we do however have free to air TV and several Pay TV channels included in the room rate for our guests viewing.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Blackwood, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Staying in Sydney for a 5 day break we stayed at the Travelodge as my wife had stayed here for work previously. It's quiet, located well to the city and affordable. It's a fast 30 minute walk to the tourist areas of the Quay and Chinatown. Great access to the restaurants and clubs of Oxford St and Darlinghurst.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I was pleased to read that you found the rooms to be quiet and affordable and that you found the location of the hotel suitable for exploring Sydney.

Bremen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We decided to stay in this hotel because it had some pretty good reviews. The hotel is in a good location of Sydney. The next attraction is the ANZAC memorial. The hotel is close to some train stations, so it is a good start for sightseeing trips in Sydney. Don't expect a great place, but the staff is good and friendly, the rooms are clean. It's a nice and cozy place for a couple of days. We had some problems with the internet, because it is not cheap and the wifi is poor. But free wifi is a general problem in Australia. Try to use the free wifi @ starbucks.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I was pleased to read that you found the rooms to be clean, nice and cozy and that the location of the hotel was suitable for exploring on your short trip to Sydney.

I was also delighted to read that you found the team to be friendly during your stay with us.

Assistant Hotel Manager

Been to Travelodge Sydney? Share your experiences!