“Good value for money in an expensive city!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel

You added Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel to your Saves list
Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   165 Phillip St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #67 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Cambridge, UK
“Good value for money in an expensive city!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My title says it all – Sydney is an expensive city and this hotel deserves recognition for offering value for money in an excellent location.
The hotel is walking distance (15 mins) from the Opera House, Circular Quay (for ferries), The Rocks, Botanic Gardens, Darling Harbour, China Town and even closer for the Westfield Centre and other smaller shops. In fact aside from the Hop On/Hop Off tourist bus, and ferries, we walked everywhere.
Check in was swift and friendly. I asked for a quiet room and was assigned one overlooking the interior atrium, which was mostly very quiet. My friend had a room overlooking Phillip Street, but actually this wouldn’t have been a problem for me either – the glazing is so thick that no sound was penetrating up there on the seventh floor, plus his room was lighter due to the external window.
The bed was comfortable; the bathroom was fine (a wet room, with drying line available across the shower). I didn’t avail myself of the kitchenette too much, but there was a microwave, adequate crockery/cutlery and mini fridge. A hairdryer, iron and ironing board were provided, plus an in-room safe, for which there was no extra charge.
Air conditioning – several reviewers have complained about this – my experience was that the a/c was not great, in fact I had to have someone come and look at it on the first evening, but the filter was changed and that improved matters somewhat. It was in the low 20s during our stay, so the a/c was adequate, but admittedly if it had been hotter I’m not so sure. The hotel staff were very responsive to my request to come and look at it though, and were honest that the system was of the older variety and therefore not always as efficient. It is worth noting that the a/c in my friend’s room was efficient, so I think this is something to bear in mind upon room allocation.
Constructive criticism: the shower was very uncooperative in terms of temperature and vacillated widely; more coat hangers would have been helpful, but this is a minor point.
There are vending machines on the sixth floor, providing both drinks and snacks – the prices are no higher than at the nearby convenience stores, yet more conveniently located…
There is a small health club that can be used for a fee, since the hotel shares space with the NSW Leagues Club.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again and I would like to thank the reception staff for their efficient and friendly service, particularly Jonathan, and the gentleman on duty who responded to my plea for help regarding noisy neighbours. On my final night, the people in the room next to mine were being very noisy and inconsiderate – finally I rang reception to ask for help and this matter was dealt with quickly and efficiently, allowing me to sleep. Hotel staff members are not always this helpful in a difficult situation and it cemented my good impression of the staff at this hotel.
A word of advice regarding restaurants: don’t overlook the food court of the Westfield Centre…true, you don’t have much of a view inside, but it is modern, upscale and very clean, plus it offers some great value choices – particularly Ragu, the Italian place with a full bar. If you prefer more expensive dining, continue up one floor further and you will find full service restaurants offering that too.
Beaches : Manly and Bondi Beaches are well worth a visit – we took the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly (these are regular and take 30 mins) and the Hop On/Hop Off bus to Bondi (but other buses are less expensive) and there is a pleasant 3.5km walk from S. Bondi Beach to Bronte Beach, along headland with a proper path, but not as one guidebook said ‘an easy stroll with lots of places to stop for coffee’. Pleasant, and not too taxing, but there are quite a few sets of steps and there is nowhere to stop for a drink until you are practically at Bronte Beach, so definitely take water and be aware of this!
Shopping: Paddy’s Markets are worth a visit for souvenirs
The Botanic Gardens are beautiful and not to be missed – they cover a lot of ground, and a longer walk will take you to a position opposite the Opera House where you can take some great pictures.
Driving into Sydney: signage is terrible once you are nearing the city, and I’m not sure what the answer is – we had maps and printed directions and still got turned around.
Car hire: beware of using Europcar, from whom we had very bad service and are still fighting erroneous charges!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the atrium or those on higher floors, offer the best protection from street noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
TravelodgePhillip, Manager at Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear EurovisionUK,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Travelodge Phillip Street. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your detailed review of the Hotel and travel tips about Sydney. Good luck with your fight with Europcar. We look forward to welcoming you back if you visit Sydney again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Reception was rude on check in. Lady had no idea what she was doing.

Airconditioning did not work and despite 2 complaints to management it was never fixed.
The room had no fans or windows and was stuffy and very hot - 3 nights of no sleep - not happy.
Despite 3rd complaint on check out - nothing was done - will never use travelodge again...

Room Tip: don't risk it...trapped with no air or airconditioning - not worth the risk
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
TravelodgePhillip, Manager at Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Lee M,

I would like to thank you providing feedback about your recent stay and I was disappointed to hear aspects of your stay that were not up to standard. You have flagged some valuable points that I will be addressing with the team in order to improve guest experience with us. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Great Base to visit, relax and recover from jet lag for a few days whilst in Sydney
In the middle of sydney a few blocks away from coles supermarket and restaurants.
Room and bathroom clean .
Kitchenette area - fridge, kettle and microwave (if not eating out good space to prepare a meal )
Ice and laundry facilities at the end of corridor.
Only downside room looked directly across at a busy office floor.
Other than that brill would stay again!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
TravelodgePhillip, Manager at Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Dolce s,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our fantastic location. We look forward to welcoming you back if you visit Sydney again.

Spruce Grove, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

The staff was great! Very helpful with info on the sights and quick to address problems.
The bathroom was dirty (black hairs on our towels, floor tiles in the bathroom were sticky and grungy).
The location is ok, not for anyone that has mobility problems. Sydney is a hilly place and its about a 15 minute walk to the Rocks. A number of stairs from the sidewalk to the lobby, a struggle with heavy luggage.
Free wifi in the lobby cafe, mini fridge in the room, kettle, sink and a few dishes.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Aussie1fan,

I would like to thank you providing feedback about your recent stay and I was disappointed to hear aspects of your stay that were not up to standard. You have flagged some valuable points that I will be addressing with the housekeeping team in order to improve the guest's experience with us.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We booked this hotel on Expedia based on value and location. We were very pleased with the proximity to Martin Place and public transit. We first checked in to room 803 after waiting 1.5 hours in the lobby - apparently there was a linen shortage and staff couldn't turn rooms fast enough. Anyway, the room was fine except the a/c was not cooling well. The manager, Frances, was delightful and attempted to have it repaired (kudos to him!) and when this didn't satisfy us, we were transferred to another room which was much better! It was nice to have the kitchenette with sink, refrigerator and microwave. We made good use of it. Ice machine is 6th floor and they don't provide ice buckets. All in all, I would say it was a good value for the cost conscious traveller.

Room Tip: I think the rooms that face the atrium may have better cooling. These rooms (at least ours 711) had...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TravelodgePhillip, Manager at Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear hyattsydney,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Travelodge Phillip Street. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry the air-conditioning in your first room was faulty and I apologise if the caused you any discomfort. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Launceston, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Room air conditioning was beyond poor, swelting for nights in the heat, along with a clicking noise constantly. Cleanliness of the rooms was great, yet when I rehung my towels to help reduce wash and therefore environmental impact, they were taken and washed every time anyway? when claiming to want to aid with reduction of chemical use. I got stuck in the elevator twice, having no one come to my aid, or even feel something was wrong. The floors would just go up and down consistently without opening on any floors, it was like a horror movie. When I finally got out, after quite sometime, the hotel staff did not apologize nor seem even bothered that their lift was faulting, nor care the distress I was in from being in a hot confined space for quite a period of time

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TravelodgePhillip, Manager at Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Emmie D,

I would like to thank you providing feedback about your recent stay and I was disappointed to hear aspects of your stay that were not up to standard. You have flagged some valuable points that I will be addressing with my team in order to improve the guest's experience with us. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Wyong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

myself and two friends booked in here. room looked great. the unrelenting banging doors of the other units and loud talking all night long was terrible. All unit doors have strong closing mechanisms , and we had groups of girls banging doors from 6.00pm to 5.00am in the morning. we did complain to front desk and the noise stopped for a while then the door slamming started again. the next day the staff just said-- we should of complained earlier. I wouldn't recommend staying there if you want to sleep. and i wouldn't think you would get any money back if you complain.

Room Tip: none of them
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear steve t,

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback and I am sorry you got a disruptive night of sleep during your stay. I am disappointed that the customer service that you experienced was not up to expectation. I can assure you that this is not a Travelodge standard and I have reviewed this with the front desk team in order to improve service standards.

Hotel Manager

Been to Travelodge Phillip Street Sydney City Hotel? Share your experiences!