“Comfortable but....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Sydney

You added The Westin Sydney to your Saves list
The Westin Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Martin Place, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Up to 50% Off!
Ranked #28 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a good hotel - very interesting architecture because it used to be the central post office - beds are particularly comfortable however their reception desk failed to deliver a very important message to me which meant that I didn't see an old friend which was one of my reasons for visiting Sydney - so bad mark there!. The restaurant and breakfast staff were very friendly and helpful

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear carol643

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed the architecture of our unique building and could take comfort in our signature Westin Heavenly® bed. We are however disappointed that you did not receive you message, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured we have shared this example with the wider team to assist in our service delivery. We are pleased you has an otherwise pleasant stay and look forward to welcoming you back again to The Westin Sydney.

Mark Burns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I recently stayed at The Westin Sydney whilst on business for two nights.

I have stayed here before and have always found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. The location is also very good.

However, on my recent stay I was very disappointed with the attitude of the staff. I accidentally left my i-pod in the room whilst checking out and reported it as soon as I realised that I had left it behind. I even told them exactly where it was left.

I was told that no items had been reported by housekeeping and that they would follow up and get back to me. I received a call the next day advising that they had 'checked with housekeeping' again and there was no lost property found in that room.

I asked if they actually spoke with the individual who cleaned the room. The answer was no...

I suggested that perhaps it would be a good idea for them to follow up directly with the person who cleaned the room. I was then told "we receive thousands of lost property items" and "housekeeping know the process for returning lost & found items". It was clear they weren't prepared to question the individual. I can appreciate this, but I do not appreciate the attitude that followed. The gentleman's tone became very defensive and he was very quick to try and get me off the phone. His final solution being that I ring the police and file a report....

Whilst the facility is lovely and in a great location, just don't expect smiles and friendly service!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear simbre

Dear

Thank you for further detailing your experience on TripAdvisor. We trust you have received our correspondence regarding your feedback and we regret we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.

perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here for 2 niights over the Australia Day weekend. A beautiful hotel, we had a tower room on the 10th floor.The buffet breakfast would have to be one of the best hotel breakfast Ive enjoyed.The only small disapointment was when we had the high tea in the lounge. We ordered our tea & they bought our food out but it was at least a 20 minute before they bought our tea out. The service was very poor, we had to wait ages to have water glasses filled as well & the waitress seemed to lack a lot of experience.

Room Tip: Have breakfast included in your room rate.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear wishingPerth

Thank you for sharing your review following your stay over the Australia Day weekend. We are thrilled you had an enjoyable stay and could take advantage of the SuperFoodsRX buffet breakfast in Mosaic. Thank you for your feedback regarding your Afternoon Tea in The Lobby Bar, we will be sure to share this with our Bar Manager to address with his team. We do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We got a good deal for The Westin so we enjoyed a week of luxury after two weeks of travelling in a camper van (and another week to come).
As we arrived before the rooms were ready the employee at the reception managed to get us one of the best rooms we could get for the category we have booked. And the room was just amazing: spacious, a comfortable bed, with a wonderful view and spotless clean.
You get free wifi in the lounge downstairs, and there's a small "office" with 3 or 4 computers and a printer, which you can also use for free.
Unfortunately we discovered the swimming pool just the day before we left ...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Everything is great about it, so I am not sure where to start. We really enjoyed our stay. Only drawback is that one can't open the windows, but that is the case with most hotels. It is a really nice place to stay and is the best hotel I ever stayed in in Sydney CBD.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Heather_12345678

We are grateful for your review following your recent stay and delighted you were comfortable in our care. We hope to welcome you back to The Westin Sydney in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I booked this hotel by chance through a secret deal. I was a bit anxious, but entering the premises dispelled all my doubts. A very well designed place, rich interiors and the rooms are very comfortable, excellent blend of interiors connecting the past with the present. Parking costs a fortune though. Very conveniently located from all major attractions in Sydney. Very impressed with the toiletries provided:-) staff very courteous and there is a taxi stand right at the door step!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear

Dear vowie

Thank you for sharing your review of The Westin Sydney. We are delighted you could take advantage of a secret deal to enjoy all of what The Westin Sydney has to offer. The unique blend of our modern 31 story tower with the historic General Post Office wing does make for stunning contrast connected via the glass atrium. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here for a week plus a few days. Hotel was very nicely designed and accommodations were excellent. Only pitfall here is that whenever I put my room to Do Not Disturb I find that the cleaning people still came in and cleaned it. Internet costs are expensive and found that Westin had really slow internet compared to the other hotels I am staying it.

Room Tip: If you can find an executive room deal which includes breakfast I highly recommend it. As the food i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear ScubaTech

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted you were comfortable in our care however concerned learning of your observations regarding our housekeeping team and internet service. Should you wish to provide any further details so we may investigate with our team please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly at westin.sydney@westin.com. We do hope to have the oppourtinuty to welcome you back again soon.