“Centrally located, interesting selection of restaurants” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Sydney

Save Saved
You added The Westin Sydney to your Saves list
The Westin Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Martin Place, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 183 Hotels in Sydney
Tokyo, Japan
“Centrally located, interesting selection of restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Good location in the Central Business District. Staff were helpful when I arrived on an early flight and found a room for me straight away.

There is an interesting selection of food available from a number of different restaurants occupying one large space in the basement. A bit different (and a bit pricey) but I decided I liked it in the end.

Room service was punctual and the menu is fine.

Room Tip: My view was non-existent even from a high floor, ask if you want a view...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear TokyoNeil

Thank you for sharing your review of The Westin Sydney. We are pleased you could take advantage of the array of venues located in the basement of the General Post Office and delighted you enjoyed our SuperFoodsRX infused In Room Dining menu. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Mark Burns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

This 5 star hotel does not shine.. Checkin staff was very un-welcoming and had either worked a double shift or was on drugs. Asked my for my credit card info twice .. She meant my ID no she didn't she meant my credit card.. After that was very terse. Next issue ... Not once in 2 days would the security card work smoothly to promptly in the lift. Many guests had the same problem... Come on The Westin.. Surely you are aware of this issue.

Room size and layout as you would expect but lacked bathroom amenities of similar 5 star hotels. They advertise heavily about they comfortable beds. First night tossed and turned .. Until i spoke to them about the problem the mattress must not have been turned for many years .

What is it that a hotel pool closes at 6pm ...

Sure location good as you would expect. I suppose the many corporate conference delegates who are not forking out their own money may not think much of these issues. All in all ... Could have been a touch better all rounds... OMG I still cannot believe how bad check-in process was..

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Greg E

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We were disappointed to learn of your check in experience, this is certainly not indicative of the high standards we strive to maintain. We are grateful for your further observations and will be sure to address these with our management team. Thank you for bringing to our attention and we look forward to the opportunity to restore your faith in our service.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I booked this hotel using my SPG points and was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to the SPG gold floor. The room was spacious and very luxurious.

Prior to my arrival, I required some help from the concierge picking up a gift from a nearby shopping centre. Ron Greedy worked with me over the phone (I was in Melbourne at the time) to make all the arrangements. Although he did not have to do this pick up for me, Ron was incredibly accommodating and my gift was waiting for me upon check in. Thank you, Ron!

Overall, top-notch service, a top quality hotel in an excellent Sydney location. I would recommend the Westin Sydney to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear capebretonboy

It was a delight to read your review. We are pleased you could take advantage of the Starwood Preferred Guest program and redeem your points for a nights accommodation. We will certainly pass along your recognition to our Chief Concierge and Les Clef d’Or member, Ron, which we are sure will be graciously received. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This hotel is located in great location with most of the commercial places, commuting options around. Service is excellent made me not feel much about the cost that i've paid. nice place for business as well as personal stay. i would certainly looking forward to stay at the same place when i visit sydney next time.

Room Tip: choose tower side view which gives great natural light in room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Arvi11

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are pleased you could take advantage of our central location and delighted our associates made you feel welcome. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.

Naestved, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Porter and reception staff made checking in a breeze. Polite and efficient. The room was spacious and plenty of hanging space. The bathroom lovely and modern (with all the nice smelly bits too!) The bed somewhat soft for my liking but there was no outside noise - lovely and quiet considering this hotel is extremely central. My only glitch was chasing up for our bags - they arrived after repeated requests but close to 30 minutes later. We decided to carry our own on checkout .. we didnt want to miss the flight!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Peta J

Thank you for sharing your review of The Westin Sydney. We were pleased you had an enjoyable stay and were comfortable in our care. We were however disappointed to learn of the delay in receiving your luggage on this occasion. We will ensure your feedback is shared with the team and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Staying at the Westin was simply lovely. The hotel incorporates the old post office in quite an amazing way. I found the architecture dazzling and the room exceeded my expectations. It had fluffy robes, a great tv, and the best bathroom I have ever encountered in an Australian hotel.

I didn't interact a great deal with the staff, but on the one occasion I asked for advice, I found them friendly and helpful. The food in the hotel is predictably very expensive, but one alternative for snacks and drinks is the supermarket that is very close to the rear exit of the hotel, and down an escalator. Paying for WIFI in the hotel would be exhorbitant too, but thank heavens for smartphones.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Icc76

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent stay with us. We are fortunate to have a unique location with the blending of the historic General Post Office building and the modern tower. Our glass walled bathrooms are very popular, we are pleased this was to your taste and your stay was enjoyable.

Menlo Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hotel is located very centrally in downtown Sydney. It is right next to the main shopping area, but not too far from the Sydney Harbour. I have stayed at a lot of Westin Hotels (I have SPG gold card), but this one is not one of the best ones. The rooms are fine. They are large, comfortable, clean and stylish. The problem was the service and that's why I am only giving the hotel four stars. After a long flight we could not check in the room because the phone was being repaired for a long time. The luggage was not brought up in a reasonable time, so we went back downstairs and brought it up ourselves. Once we were settled in we could not sleep because the property is next to a clock tower and the bell tolls every half an hour. Luckily it was turned off during the night, but it started again at 8 a.m. The restaurant at this hotel was very expensive. The was a small heated pool and a gym.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear givemesunshine

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. We were pleased you could take advantage of our central location however disappointed that we did not exceed your service expectations. Thank you for your observations regarding your luggage, we will certainly share this with our Front Office Manager to address with his team. The historic General Post Office Clock Tower is iconic and unique in Sydney. The bells are audible between 9am and 9pm; upon making your next reservation please advise your preference for a room further away from the clock tower and we would be delighted to accommodate. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mark Burns

Been to The Westin Sydney? Share your experiences!