“Great service and perfect location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Sydney

You added The Westin Sydney to your Saves list
The Westin Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Martin Place, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Almaty, Kazakhstan
“Great service and perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Historical building, excellent location. Separate compliments to chefs for serving fantastic breakfast with huge variety of meal for almost every specific need. Staff was friendly. My room was not very big, but had a great view. Loved huge window in the bathroom from which you can see the street.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is the first and last time we will ever stay at this hotel. When our HC pulled up to the hotel we had to be let out on the sidewalk, we were ignored by the staff as we walked into the hotel lugging our bags along behind us. We checked into the hotel went up to our expensive suite which was rather dated. Lucky we only planned to sleep in the suite. After checking out of the hotel the following day while we were waiting for our driver to pick us up we thought we would have a coffee and some afternoon tea, only to be told that we had to order any food 24hours in advance so coffee it was. Now I know why we this was the only hotel we could get accommodation at with such short notice.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Te Puke
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Since staying here the last time, I must say this experience was disappointing. So much for being a Starwood member and getting that little bit extra. The room was much smaller than last time we stayed even though the nightly rate was more. The Hotel is just starting to feel a little bit run down and dated. The room cleaning service was poor. Did not re-fill our mini bar once without being asked. I am sorry to report the standards have slipped here. I will be trying somewhere else next time I stay in Sydney, there is such a hugh selection of quality 5 star accomodations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a few days while passing through Sydney on vacation. Given our platinum status with Starwood (i.e., we have more than 80 stays last year), we were given the option of a flexible checkin time. Since we were coming into town on a redeye, we selected a 9am checkin. When we got to the hotel, we were a bit disappointed by the man who was assigned to help us at the front desk. He was not at the Platinum checkin desk; rather, we visited the first hotel representative available. We arrived around 8:30am and the room was not ready. Since it seemed as though the hotel was at full capacity the night before, I completely understood that the room wouldn't be ready 30 minutes early. However, he proceeded to tell us that the early checkin was a "Starwood thing" and not a "Westin Sydney" thing. He said housekeeping didn't even start until 9am so the "guaranteed checkin" that I had a printout of was not really his issue. He proceeded to tell us to call the Starwood 800 phone number and talk to them about it. Since we were traveling internationally, that didn't make a lot of sense as our cell phones didn't work. We eventually got everything sorted out and got into our room around 1pm. That was the "black eye" of this hotel experience. Everything else was wonderful. If given the opportunity, I would highly recommend getting access to their concierge lounge. They have a top notch breakfast and evening drinks available. Their breakfast was very nicely done, and the ladies who provided drinks and cleaned up the tables were very classy, hard working, and extremely professional. Our room was perfect. The hotel was obviously very recently renovated and the finishes in the room were perfect. The carpet, bedding and towels was all very high-end. The bathroom was large and there were plenty of towels, soaps, and lotions. The location was good, but there is a Marriott down the road that is actually more convenient to the harbor. However, you are still within walking distance of the tourist spots at this hotel. I give this hotel top marks since I can't allow one unprofessional staff member impact what otherwise was a flawless experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is my second trip here. While I enjoyed it the first time I tried a couple of different hotels on my subsequent trips so I could be closer to the Quay for running and have a better view. While the other hotels provided that, they absolutely could not match the level of comfort and amenities that The Westin has. From the bed, to the bathroom, to the gym, everything is wonderfully appointed. This past trip I stayed in an executive suite which was incredibly spacious, and had access to the executive club which was nice, but the standard tower rooms are great as well. All in all, great place to stay in the CBD.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
South East
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Wow, impressive from the minute the cab pulled up. Bags grabbed from the taxi and on the pavement before I could even pay the fare.

Glass, huge areas of uncluttered space brand new and old world too as part of the hotel is part of the old General Post Office Building in Martin Place.

Slick service is what you imagine and that is exactly what you get. Reception staff, look at you as they check you in, use your name, smile and seem they want to be serving you be you in jeans or the latest de rigeur. Yes there are guys who are super cool with ear phones hanging about but don't be intimidated they are the good guys working the hotel foyer and reception areas.

My room was beautiful, all glass and marble, everything I needed was supplied and replenished without even having to ask. I stayed in the new part of the hotel and loved it's modernity, but there are rooms in the old building should you fancy a touch of old world charm.

The location is terrific, ten minutes out the door on foot you are at Circular Quay and all the sights you can cram in, from the bridge, the liners, the iconic Opera House, the upmarket cafes and bars, the crowds, the ferries and if you want it the tourist tat shops!

My stay at the Westin, was sensational, would I go back, yes, I might want to try a suite but with the room I had it was just perfect.

The layout of the hotel may be a drawback for some as to get to places like the Business Centre, the Gym and the pool it is a bit of a hike into the old building across wide bridges under a glass atrium. For some it may get a little noisy and bewildering with so many people as be aware this is not just an hotel it is a destination for much of the city's social butter flies.

For me it was fine and I cannot praise this hotel enough! Superb!

Room Tip: I loved the new rooms and the higher up, the better the view but some rooms only have narrow vistas.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
South Shields
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here in November 2012 for 2 nights. Just amazing from beginning to end. Five star luxury hotel based on the old Sydney GPO. Amazing views of surrounding skyscrapers and streets with use of Executive Lounge for pre-dinner drinks and snacks. Rooms are brand new and ultra-modern luxury. Breakfast choice and quality unbeatable. Fabulous all round. Perfectly placed in Martin Square, right in the heart of Sydney's bustling CBD, five minutes walk from Circular Quay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Sydney? Share your experiences!