“As Expected” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Sydney

You added The Westin Sydney to your Saves list
The Westin Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Martin Place, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Laguna Beach, California, United States
“As Expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was exactly what you would expect from a Westin: courteous staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds. There were no special touches and everything (including in-room internet) is a la carte, but that's what you get at a chain business hotel. I would stay there again if I need to be in the CBD in Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I do not expect much on the service side in Australia as I have been pampered by Asian resorts.
This hotel is a business hotel.The feel is business like and brisk.Rooms are decent and clean.Service is ok.
I was appalled as we passed the cash of A$70 to the valet for the parking and valet and we were billed again for it when we were checking out.The concierge was not that helpful and gave a disgusted look when we refused to make another A$70 for 20 minutes of parking.
It is a hotel alright, it is decent however do not expect the finer touch of hospitality.
Location is good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wagga Wagga, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Westin is a fine establishment and as such is well up to standard. I requested a high floor away from elevators which was in the "Tower" section. When I travel I want comfort and quiet therefore a room with a view is not important if I get one its a bonus. The room was extremely spacious and clean, bathroom was excellent. Bed was AAA+ comfortable. Room service was prompt and delicious, staff where friendly and courteous.

The location of the hotel boarding on Martin Place is excellent and within walking distance to Circular Quay and the harbour and many attractions, public transport is at the doorstep with shopping, restaurants all close by.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great location on Martin Place, in the center of the CBD. It is a 15 minute walk to Harbor and Opera House, and the free CBD shuttle bus also runs near the hotel for easy access to Circular Quay, the QVB, Botanical Gardens, etc. The exterior of the hotel is gorgeous, and the interior lobby area has been really nicely done to incorporate the historic parts of the building with new modern elements. There are a variety of restaurants in the hotel building; we tried the conveyor-belt sushi, which was delicious, and the Spanish restaurant, which was so-so. Prices are high for food, but it’s nice to have the option when tired after a full day of site-seeing. Room itself was very nice, modern bathroom and Westin Heavenly Bed. We had a nice view of the clock tower. Overall, a good home base for exploring Sydney.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

A little pricey for the room type that I had however a few really welcome things as a business traveller.. Excellent shower, and very comfy bed;) the building was well looked after and breakfast was lovely..

• Stayed October 2012
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our children gave us a night for our 40th wedding anniversary. The hotel was wonderful to us. Reception wished us a happy anniversary on arrival. We were upgraded and had a lovely inscribed plate of dessert waiting with a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Perfect position on the 17th floor looking at the old GPO clock tower. I enjoyed the faint sound of the clock chimes. Very comfortable and with a pillow menu which I used to request a different pillow to suit my bad neck. New pillow was delivered promptly and pleasantly. Buffet breakfast downstairs was wonderful. Downsides - we thought the internet access was expensive; and one of the reasons our children chose this hotel was so that we could see the historic Tank Stream in the basement - the area disappointingly was closed for the weekend.

Room Tip: There are 2 areas to this hotel - the heritage rooms in the old GPO and the modern tower. Request a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was going to award 4 stars for the Westin, as it is a lovely conversion of an old heritage building (at one time the city's main post office) added to a tower, and has great aromatherapy and fixtures throughout.

I had spent several lovely stays at other Westins, which was what led me to book this one - but was very disappointed.

Starting on arrival - it was one of the rare times when I've been driving to a hotel, so I pulled up at the main inset driveway at the front, where four doormen/bellboys were standing around, looking in my direction... but not one approached the car. I had been told the cost of parking was the same with or without valet service, so this surprised me, and as there was no clear sign to the parking area, I was a little perplexed. I hopped out and approached one of the men, who told me to drive around the corner... I did so and ended up descending into a multi-level underground carpark with little signage, so no idea where I was supposed to park as a hotel guest (the parking is shared by surrounding businesses) and obviously lacking the valet care I had been led to expect. About 15 mins later, I had found a spot, the nearest elevators out and headed up to reception... not happy!

Next I checked in, and at first this went smoothly, with a very polite server (though not a word of apology or explanation offered when I described my arrival experience).

The hotel pool size and quality is always a priority for me in booking, and I knew the Westin had a reasonable one, so as I was about to leave reception I asked where to find the pool... only to be told the pool was closed for the next few days for repairs (um, hello, perhaps tell people this, rather than letting them discover it?). He then said I could use another hotel's pool... a few blocks away... (kind of defeats the point of being able to do a quick jaunt from your room to the pool, especially given it was a very hot day), but that I had to ask at the concierge desk if I wanted directions (and of course, this desk was unmanned at that point in time!). Again, not happy!!

So, this hotel gets 3 stars because of how the service, or lack of, set a tone that overrode my enjoyment of the rest of the stay (that said, the room, bathroom, bedding were all lovely). The service needs to come up to par... and hey, how about actually welcoming your paying guests when they drive up rather than standing around ignoring them? Hmm...

Room Tip: Be wary of getting a room near the clocktower - the bells chime quite late into the night (but are q...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Westin Sydney? Share your experiences!