“Excellent hotel in Sydney with great views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sydney Boulevard Hotel

You added The Sydney Boulevard Hotel to your Saves list
The Sydney Boulevard Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   90 William Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2011, Australia (Formerly Bayview Boulevard Sydney)   |
Ranked #57 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Excellent hotel in Sydney with great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

This hotel is within 10 mins walking distance of the City Centre and the views from the bedrooms across to the Sydney Harbour and also the Botanical Gardens were excellent.
The room price was good compared with other Sydney hotels and the staff were extremely helpful and polite. We stayed at the hotel for 10 days leading up to Christmas with a room on the 18th floor and awoke evey morning to a view of the harbour which was stunning. The room was also very quiet and large, with a king size bed and a nice bathroom.The restaurant situated on the 25th floor gave wonderful views of Sydney at night, and the food was excellent too, and not expensive. The hotel also has a small gym and a sauna suite on the 24th floor.
Highly recommended for both holiday and business accomodation.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room with stunning views of Sydney Harbour including the Bridge and Opera House
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Turkish first
Solihull
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We booked this hotel many months ago, so that we could spend New Year's eve in Sydney. The hotel had a wide view, albeit the bay was a long way off and there was just a glimpse of a small part of the bridge. The cost over the New Year weekend was phenomenal. The room was reasonably large, but there was no wifi in the room and you had to pay to use it in the lobby. The towels in the bathroom were very skimpy, quite inadequate. The cafe on the first floor was usually empty; the breakfast was average, but expensive. The place was just lacking in interest.

To be fair, the manager always tried to help where he could and staff generally were helpful.

The top floor bar / restaurant had a good view, but it was closed during the day.

Location was quite good, but the hotel needed improvement for us to want to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
bayviewboulevard, General Manager at The Sydney Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Mr Solihull, thank you for your review on tripadvisor about the Bayview Boulevard Hotel, the cost over the New Years, wifi, towels and breakfast. We value your comments and I am sorry to hear that these issues have not been to your satisfaction.
All rooms have internet access, however, only higher floors level 16 and above and lobby areas have wifi, this issue is currently being worked on with our supplier as we are looking to include all rooms as wifi. Sincere apologies regarding the towels issue and I will be addressing this with the team and our contractor.
With regards to the accommodation price over the new years, this is driven by high demand for accommodation in Sydney, however I agree with you that it should represent the quality of your stay. I have noted your comment regarding breakfast being average and expensive to my team, could you please give me the correct booking details that were used for your stay so I am able to enquire about the breakfast rate that you paid during your stay. If you could please forward those details to bayviewboulevard@bayviewhotels.com, it would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Mr. David Stavert
Bayvuew Boulevard Sydney
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Stayed in a harbour view room, could see harbour bridge, top of the opera house, park lands and city skyline. Room clean and comfortable, although the carpets need a good scrub. Service at check in good, except parking instructions a little confusing. Location is OK, plenty of places to dine nearby but some distance from the city - not much $ for a taxi though. Beds & pillows particularly good.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms really do have good views.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

There is nothing wrong with this place. It is pretty basic. What you are paying for is the view. On the higher floors facing the harbour, the view is spectacular. On the night I stayed I was able to watch a fireworks display bursting over Sydney harbour.
I have to agree with some of the other reviewers, nothing else is really included for the tariff apart from the room and the view. It seems all hotels in this class (and I would call this three and a half star at best) have studied the Holiday Inn manual and got the economics of room rental down to a fine art.
Still, having said that, the hotel is close to the CBD and the Botanic Gardens. The major attractions of Sydney are within walking distance. The only downside is the proximity to some of the seedier parts of town. I wouldnt recommend walking the streets surrounding the hotel after dark. The place does have an ambience of a hotel that was once great, was really let go and then has recently been "tarted up".

Room Tip: Ask for one of the higher floors on the harbour side.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Bellingen, NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My friend and I stayed at the Bayview last Saturday and Sunday night (3-5th December 2012). We booked a City View room with twin beds on the 19th floor, on recommendation from other Trip Advisor reviews (the higher the quieter!). The room was clean, quiet, comfortable and had everything we needed, and had two what I assume were king singles for us to sleep in. The beds were also very comfortable, slept like a baby. There were bathrobes and tea and coffee facilities provided, and a decent sized telly. The view was nice but not outstanding - if you can afford it get the Harbour View I would suggest. The shower was decent also. We were so busy we never ate at the hotel, but we ate breakfast at nearby Stanley Street two mornings running, where Bill & Tony's (a real institution) quickly serve you a mean foccacia and latte for around $12 - yummy. The location of the hotel was absolutely fantastic - we were a short walk away from a festival at the Domain we attended, and within walking distance of the Cross, Oxford Street and the city. We felt safe and secure. Would recommend to anyone and will be staying here on all future trips. Downsides... hard to think of anything. Oh... also, check in is later than normal - 3pm - but checkout is later than normal also - 11am. We arrived early (1pm) and they checked with the maids while we waited - 10 mins later we had our room, could dump our bags and go out. Fantastic. Friendly, efficient staff. I'll shut up now :)

Room Tip: Ask for Harbour View room if you can afford it, and the higher the better. Also, ask for early check...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Schinu76
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

For our first honeymoon night we went for a splurge and picked one of the few available and affordable 5 star hotels within a few blocks from the CBD. As it wasn"t listed in either of our travel guides we chose mostly from web feedback.
Location: Convenient to Museum, few blocks easily walkable from CBD, int the street with most city car rentals, quite a bit away from water
Outside: unspectacular
Inside: nothing special but neat
Service: very nice, instant update on late checkout for honeymoon
Room: executive harbourview 21st floor, very spacious room and bathroom, all very nice (standard rate apparently around 600$, our web tariff 275$ including huge breakfast buffet
View: luna park, complete bridge, all of central skyline from big tower to left to bridge on right, smaller buildings in front, really nice. Window was sealed.

Very recommendable for the price (probably not for the standard tariff!)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel supports a common theme I have noticed, particularly in Australia: it is a hotel that seems rather flash, but actually offers little in the way of complimentary amenities. Basically, you pay for a room and get little else. The rooms are fine - the same you would see at any hotel in any big, international city - but they don't offer anything really unique or special. I am sure I would feel differently if I had a room with a view, so I should put it out there that I didn't have a harbour view. For me, hotels are mainly a place to relax after a long day of sightseeing, so I don't need much, and this room certainly delivered. However, I would have expected a bit more given the price (you have to pay extra for breakfast, either in your room rate or at the restaurant), and the image they seemed to want to have. Examples:

- They didn't even have the basic digital free-to-air channels. Instead, they give you Fox and Fox Sports. It seemed to me that they wanted you to pay for movies, and that this was their sneaky way of doing it. That, and the fact that every time you turned on the tele it automatically went to the screen trying to sell you movies.

- They advertise a fitness centre, which I used, but which I was very disappointed in. The treadmills were broken for the duration of the stay, and the other equipment was pretty average. The dumbbells only went up to 7 kg! I am a 50 kg female, and that's not even enough for me to bicep curls with, let alone exercises like squats, etc. Not sure what a larger person would think...

I know these are fairly minor complaints, but my point is just that this is one of those hotels that provides nothing for free. Your room rate will pay for a place to stay and not much else. if you have a deluxe room, then you will have access to a fitness 'centre', but don't expect a great workout. I would stay here again if I found another deal, but I wouldn't pay full price for the rooms.

The location of this hotel is excellent, and security is excellent as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
bayviewboulevard, Guest Relations Manager at The Sydney Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear "Littleums",

We appreciate your feedback during your recent stay with us.

We regret to learn that there some minor things as you mentioned like – namely digital free to air not available and the dumbbells in our gymnasium which you found were inadequate in terms of the weight. Free to air channels and selected Fox channels are available in all rooms.

The channels available in the rooms are the following ones:

• Fox 8, Fox Sport 1 & 2
• Sky News, SBS, CCTV 4, ABC 1 & 2, Channels 7, 9, 10
• Lifestyle, History, Max.

All the above listed are free.

Pay TV – Movies are available though not compulsory. So the option is available and your impression on the Hotel is trying to make money must be misinterpreted.

The gymnasium with steam room and sauna has facilities that we provide have equipment that provides adequate workout. You may dispute that 7kg dumbbell is insufficient but we do try and cater for the many and hence we have several weight options available.

Nevertheless, we are grateful that you found satisfaction in our rooms, Hotel's Location and Security. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back perhaps to experience our Harbour View Rooms. If you are looking for packages and deals, please be advised that we do promote packages and deals on seasonality. We would certainly be able to assist in your course if a direct method of booking through to our Hotel is selected.

Do not hesitate to contact directly admin.bbs@bayviewhotels.com shall you require customized options - such as exclusive Behind the Scene VIP Tours of the Taronga Zoo or the Australian Museum located only 5min walk fron the Bayview Boulevard Sydney.

with warmest regards,

Quercy Jouannes

Been to The Sydney Boulevard Hotel? Share your experiences!