“superb views of city, bridge and opera” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Sydney Boulevard Hotel

You added The Sydney Boulevard Hotel to your Saves list
The Sydney Boulevard Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   90 William Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2011, Australia (Formerly Bayview Boulevard Sydney)   |
Ranked #57 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Schinu76
“superb views of city, bridge and opera”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

For our first honeymoon night we went for a splurge and picked one of the few available and affordable 5 star hotels within a few blocks from the CBD. As it wasn"t listed in either of our travel guides we chose mostly from web feedback.
Location: Convenient to Museum, few blocks easily walkable from CBD, int the street with most city car rentals, quite a bit away from water
Outside: unspectacular
Inside: nothing special but neat
Service: very nice, instant update on late checkout for honeymoon
Room: executive harbourview 21st floor, very spacious room and bathroom, all very nice (standard rate apparently around 600$, our web tariff 275$ including huge breakfast buffet
View: luna park, complete bridge, all of central skyline from big tower to left to bridge on right, smaller buildings in front, really nice. Window was sealed.

Very recommendable for the price (probably not for the standard tariff!)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel supports a common theme I have noticed, particularly in Australia: it is a hotel that seems rather flash, but actually offers little in the way of complimentary amenities. Basically, you pay for a room and get little else. The rooms are fine - the same you would see at any hotel in any big, international city - but they don't offer anything really unique or special. I am sure I would feel differently if I had a room with a view, so I should put it out there that I didn't have a harbour view. For me, hotels are mainly a place to relax after a long day of sightseeing, so I don't need much, and this room certainly delivered. However, I would have expected a bit more given the price (you have to pay extra for breakfast, either in your room rate or at the restaurant), and the image they seemed to want to have. Examples:

- They didn't even have the basic digital free-to-air channels. Instead, they give you Fox and Fox Sports. It seemed to me that they wanted you to pay for movies, and that this was their sneaky way of doing it. That, and the fact that every time you turned on the tele it automatically went to the screen trying to sell you movies.

- They advertise a fitness centre, which I used, but which I was very disappointed in. The treadmills were broken for the duration of the stay, and the other equipment was pretty average. The dumbbells only went up to 7 kg! I am a 50 kg female, and that's not even enough for me to bicep curls with, let alone exercises like squats, etc. Not sure what a larger person would think...

I know these are fairly minor complaints, but my point is just that this is one of those hotels that provides nothing for free. Your room rate will pay for a place to stay and not much else. if you have a deluxe room, then you will have access to a fitness 'centre', but don't expect a great workout. I would stay here again if I found another deal, but I wouldn't pay full price for the rooms.

The location of this hotel is excellent, and security is excellent as well.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
bayviewboulevard, Guest Relations Manager at The Sydney Boulevard Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear "Littleums",

We appreciate your feedback during your recent stay with us.

We regret to learn that there some minor things as you mentioned like – namely digital free to air not available and the dumbbells in our gymnasium which you found were inadequate in terms of the weight. Free to air channels and selected Fox channels are available in all rooms.

The channels available in the rooms are the following ones:

• Fox 8, Fox Sport 1 & 2
• Sky News, SBS, CCTV 4, ABC 1 & 2, Channels 7, 9, 10
• Lifestyle, History, Max.

All the above listed are free.

Pay TV – Movies are available though not compulsory. So the option is available and your impression on the Hotel is trying to make money must be misinterpreted.

The gymnasium with steam room and sauna has facilities that we provide have equipment that provides adequate workout. You may dispute that 7kg dumbbell is insufficient but we do try and cater for the many and hence we have several weight options available.

Nevertheless, we are grateful that you found satisfaction in our rooms, Hotel's Location and Security. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back perhaps to experience our Harbour View Rooms. If you are looking for packages and deals, please be advised that we do promote packages and deals on seasonality. We would certainly be able to assist in your course if a direct method of booking through to our Hotel is selected.

Do not hesitate to contact directly admin.bbs@bayviewhotels.com shall you require customized options - such as exclusive Behind the Scene VIP Tours of the Taronga Zoo or the Australian Museum located only 5min walk fron the Bayview Boulevard Sydney.

with warmest regards,

Quercy Jouannes
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

I recently stayed at Bayview Boulevard for a conference. This being my first time to Sydney, I had not idea what to expect location-wise. I found this to be ideally located for my needs and enjoyed the walk through the Botanic Gardens to the Opera-house. Just across William St. there is a great neigborhood with excellent restaurants and coffee shops. Bayview accommodations were clean and a room was available for me upon arrival from the States. Internet cost is a bit ridiculous - $24.95 for a day or $99.95 per week. Of course, I quickly came to realize that this is standard in Australia (not at all standard in the US). Coffeeshop in the hotel is great and they are very friendly. Not open on weekends.

Room Tip: I would recommend selecting the harbor view, if possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

My boyfriend and I was there for on Saturday night, over the weekend when the Sydney Marathon was held. The room we were given was on the 18th floor. The room was of a decent size and comes with a King Size bed. Surprisingly, we actually managed to check in much earlier than the normal check in time. We were told to state our preferred check in time on the form when we booked online, but didn't think the hotel was going to allow us to check in early anyway. So, that was lovely. The room had excellent views, and we actually managed to catch some fireworks going off in a distance on Saturday night. That was a pleasant surprise! :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I love the location of this hotel. You can walk to all the major great must see spots from here. The Rocks, Oxford Street, kings Cross and Surry Hill and much more!
Staff are nice and the rooms are very roomie. Nice Pub across the street.

• Stayed September 2011
Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed on the Monday Long weekend. The reservations manager on the phone was very pleasant. Some disapointment both The restaurant and The Cafe shut on the Monday night for the long weekend. Staff were certainly not rude but didn't really go out of their way. The room allocated to us was lovely, an Emerald Harbour view suite on level 24 but really was an interconnecting room with some lounge chairs in the other room. Breakfast provided had the usual choices and was cooked nicely. (Bacon and snags not at all greasy). What was disappointing and surprising the executive lounge was taken from the Public and used for Airline Crew. Very noticable considering there was nowhere else in the motel to get a coffee or a drink. I am not sure if staff could recommend an alternative venue. (not given many alternatives and maybe some training in this area would benefit). Would certainly recommend maybe I had different expectations...I imagine this would have been the place to be in the days of Graham Kennedy, Donny Sutherland and the like!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the top facing the Harbour are the go. I would imagine rooms lower down on the Williams Str...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Central Coast, Sydney Aust.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

My daughter and I stayed 5 nights from Tuesday to Sunday. It is a short walk from the National Art School that my daughter was attending. We had 2 double beds in a room on the 18th floor looking toward Darlinghurst. The room was a great size with nice decoration and very clean (important to us as we are allergic to dustmites and we didn't sneeze once!) The beds were pillows were very comfortable. Nicely positioned flat screen TV. The staff were always polite and acknowledged us as we went by. Check in by a trainee was efficient and friendly. Room service meals were very tasty (chicken caesar, spinach & ricotta canelloni with a salad that was very fresh and the nicest garlic bread I've ever had) and not too expensive. We dined on the 25th floor on our first night but as it was a Tuesday was a bit too quiet. Lovely view, good food. Room card needed to access our floor via the lift, so felt secure. Car parking was $25 per night and the car was checked underneath and in the boot for suspicious items before entering - this procedure was done efficiently and in a friendly manner. You could walk to the city...lovely route through the park...or catch a bus...I got a TravelTen ticket for $16.00 which will take you 2 sections (you must buy a prepay ticket for travel 7am-7pm) which more than covered our needs. We really enjoyed our stay and would love to return. Also I thoroughly recommend Forbes & Burton restaurant opposite the NAS. Fabulous food and staff!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Sydney Boulevard Hotel? Share your experiences!