“A true Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Sydney

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Sydney to your Saves list
The Langham, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 - 113 Kent Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly The Observatory Hotel )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Perfectly Langham
Ranked #9 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Traralgon, Australia
“A true Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I are regulars to the Melbourne Langham on South Bank and laugh about it being the second home. We love the quality, the luxury and friendly staff. The Sydney Hotel is exactly the same in staff profesionalism and they seem to keep their skills sharpened by regular Concierge competitions. The rooms are elegent and very comfortable. Sleep is easy with all the pillow choices. The food for breakfast is a good selection and nothing is too much bother. The evening meals in the restaurant and bar were to die for.
We'll be back.

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear pfooty,

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to read your feedback!

Our most regular guests tell us they return to the hotel as they are made to feel like they are at their luxury Sydney home, and I am delighted to hear you had the same homely experience during your stay.

We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to making our guests experiences truly memorable. I will be sure to share your feedback with the rest of the team, they will be pleased to know they each played a part in making your stay so special.

Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back in the future!

962 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My partner stays at the Langham in Melbourne for work all the time and loves it so we booked to stay at the Langham in Sydney thinking it would be similar. It is from a "feel" perspective, it smells the same and has the same kind of quaint decor. To be honest I always feel like I am 20-30 years too young for the Langham and I am in my 40's - just not me.
At checkin time we were told we were entitled to an upgrade but there were none available - really disappointing to be told you are entitled to something but we aren't going to give it to you. Checkin was efficient but not friendly.
Everything about this hotel is "nice" but it's tired. It is clean. Very quiet. The pool and spa are down in the basement so we didn't go there. It's a wee bit of a walk to The Rocks so we headed that way most of the time, long walk into town you need to take a cab. The area is lovely with the old terraced Sydney homes, a few neighbourhood pubs and cafes nearby.
Pros - quiet, best hotel shower ever (two shower heads, great water pressure), large room, lots of space with chairs and desk. Cheap wireless. Smells fantastic. Loved being able to open the sash window in the morning.
Cons - most uncomfortable bed, it seemed old and lumpy. Tired decor with ripped wallpaper and worn carpet. Air Conditioning unit was noisy, although it is a quiet hotel we were on the road side level 2 (of only 3 levels) and did hear hoons driving up and down Saturday night.
Won't stay here again myself.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street - even though it is a quiet hotel it should have a view of the h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear nzweekender,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review of your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. Guest feedback both positive and negative is extremely important and on this occasion provides management with an opportunity to address areas of concern and make improvements.

In relation to your feedback regarding our beds, Langham Hotels use bespoke Simmons Beautyrest Mattresses with a tailor-made feather-topper, and we are currently in the process of introducing these signature Blissful Beds into all of our rooms.

I do hope we can welcome you again to The Langham, Sydney.

Have a delightful day.

Kind Regards,
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few times with work when it was the observatory and loved it. We came back for a weekend visit and I was disappointed. The new management seem to be cutting corners wherever they can which has turned one of my favourite hotels into something mediocre. I believe it's really the little things which make a hotel 5 star and worth paying for. The langham lacks these, for example; the breakfast is now a hot and cold Buffett whereas previously hot food was ordered from the menu. The juices were no longer freshly squeezed. There was no turn down service and the complimentary water wasn't replaced during our stay. The iPod dock didn't work. The toiletries were cheap and not replaced by housekeeping so we ran out of showergel. We ordered a pot of tea on room service. It took nearly an hour to arrive and then they only bought one cup even though we had ordered for 2. No fruit bowl in the room as was always previously provided. no writing paper or envelopes in the room. I used the reception area toilets upon checkout and they were filthy!
This is still a great building with large rooms and bathrooms in a great location but unfortunately all the cost cutting by the management have really let this hotel down and i think it will only continue to go one way without the special '5 star' touches Disappointed!

Dear jen1lum,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. It was dissappointing to read that your stay fell short. As a company, we pride ourselves on extending the best service and hospitality to our guests and I would personally like to follow up with you on your experience with us.

Can I trouble you to email me at sonia.lefevre@langhamhotels.com or contact the hotel on (02) 9256 2222 so that we can discuss this further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

SA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

A special trip for my son (7 yrs) and I was more trying than it had to be due to the rude staff and poorly managed hotel. One button on the phone for 'all services', that is rarely answered. Dated and fading carpet, furniture and amenities. Tiles peeling off the pool and rude check in and day spa staff. Such a shame when it is in such a great location. Hard to believe the room still had a VHS player as its 'entertainment' option. Great area, but next time I'll pay less and go somewhere better.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear jangirl1,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. It was disappointing to read that your stay fell short. As a company, we pride ourselves on extending the best service and hospitality to our guests and I would personally like to follow up with you on your experience with us.

Can I trouble you to email me at sonia.lefevre@langhamhotels.com so that we can discuss this further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Have stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels, but the Langham has old world charm both in decor and service, well located for The Rocks, Darling Harbour and sightseeing. The staff are excellent nothing is too much for them. Dining is a pleasure and if you want something that is not there they will attempt to get it for you. Surrounding restaurants are very good. All in all my husband and I had a lovely stress free long weekend and will definitely be back.

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We are delighted to read your comments. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to making our guests experiences truly memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back on your next visit to Sydney!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We especially liked the presentation and decor of your hotel very much. Our room was better than great, didn't like to leave it. We had a most enjoyable meal in the bistro, excellent service and food, a lovely emjoyable meal. We hope to return sooner than later

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We were delighted to read your positive comments about your experience with us.

At Langham, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests and building great memories. It is wonderful to hear that you leave with your own special memories.

I will be sure to share your feedback with the rest of the team, they will be pleased to hear they each played a part in making your stay special.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are going to stay in the Rocks area of Sydney, which in my estimations is one of the best then I could not recommend more than the Langham. From Service to food quality to Spa services, all get high marks.

Concierge were a big help as this was our first trip to Australia and they provided expert assistance for restaurants and the craft show that talks place every weekend in the Rocks.

Although pricey for some, the attention to detail was evident everywhere right down to the honeycomb station at the breakfast table. Nice touch.

Dear Ralph,

I'm delighted you were able to take advantage of our location, we think this our location is quite special and gives our guests a residential experience of Sydney.

I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our Concierge, I am sure they will be pleased to hear they played a part in making your stay a memorable one!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sonia Lefevre

Been to The Langham, Sydney? Share your experiences!