“A relaxing weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Sydney

You added The Langham, Sydney to your Saves list
The Langham, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 - 113 Kent Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly The Observatory Hotel )   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Be the First
Ranked #12 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“A relaxing weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I checked in for one night for a much needed break after a hectic work schedule. From the moment we walked in the door we started to relax. The staff were welcoming and efficient and service impeccable in all facilities. At the end of the weekend we felt we had been away for a week. The only negative we had was that the bed was a little uncomfortable. But all in all we had an enjoyable weekend. We look forward to going back soon!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

At Langham, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests and building great memories. It is wonderful to hear that you leave with your own special memories.

I will be sure to share your feedback with the rest of the team, they will be pleased to hear they each played a part in making your stay special.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sonia Lefevre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

You don't book into the Langham to appreciate the latest in high tech gadgets, cutting edge design or style over substance. The reason you should gravitate towards the Langham is that you appreciate good old fashioned service, charm and space.
Let's start with the rooms - admittedly we had a suite, but I have been in a normal sized room and they are at least 25% more spacious than any other Sydney hotel rooms. So you get that lovely feel of being in a room rather than a box. Then there's the decor - yes it's old fashioned, but it's not dated. It's luxurious, it's comfortable, it's classy and it looks very fresh and clean. What I also liked is that every stick of furniture in the hotel, from the rooms to the common spaces is COMFORTABLE. How sick are you of sitting on a chair that makes you sit strangely and gives you backache? I could have sat on the dining room chairs all day. That is unheard of in my experience.
Every review mentions the service and I will add to the legion of fans. Everyone was incredibly professional, whilst still managing to be friendly at the same time.
The pool and gym are the best we've seen in Sydney - again, all very up to date, fresh and clean.
We did try the restaurant for our evening meal, and like most hotels in Sydney it's not a destination restaurant, but it's perfectly fine if you want the convenience of eating in house. Lovely olde worlde atmosphere - again, not my taste, but not dated or unpleasant in any way. Decent wine list and we had an absolutely stunning New Zealand chardonnay that would be one of my favourite wines I have had this year. Charming sommelier too.
A lovely touch was the way the hotel called us two days before our stay to check on the names of our two girls who were coming with us. When we checked in there was a plate of gingerbread, cookies and other goodies with their names etched in chocolate. It's the little things like this that set the Langham apart.
As for value, well I'd highly recommend the package we tried. It's called "Decadently Langham". It includes valet parking, 8 course degustation meal for two and breakfast. Because of the girls we had to book a suite as it had a fold out bed, but the entire night (excluding drinks and the girls' breakfasts at $18 each) cost $630.
To compare, we tried to go to Jonah's as they were having a special degustation evening. I think the meal would have cost us around $140 a head, then the room was $550 odd, and when we told them we'd be bringing the girls, they said they'd charge us an extra $100 for each of them. What!!! (breakfast extra for all of us of course). Ridiculous.
I should just add that the girls had room service for dinner - I was afraid it would be awful - cold and chewy, but not at all. They had a burger and spaghetti bolognese and they were both super hot, fresh and crisp. Good sized portions too.
So a very happy family enjoyed a lovely weekend away in the city.
Thank you Langham for making us so welcome and pampered.

Room Tip: We tried the Cygnus suite (I think it's called). Maybe go a little higher if you want complete...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear countryweekender,

Thank you for taking time to review your experience at The Langham, Sydney.

We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to making our guests experiences truly memorable. I am delighted to hear that your girls enjoyed their delicious treats!

At 49m², our Grand Langham Rooms are the largest standard rooms in Sydney, ensuring our guests every comfort, and I am glad to hear was the case during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney.

Camden, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very luxurious hotel near The Rocks. Short walk to Circular Quay and right down the block from one of Australia's most famous pubs. I was upgraded to a 1.5 bath, 2 room suite. Very well appointed, soft music playing as you enter the room sets the mood and atmosphere. Cherry furniture. You really feel pampered.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear RickBeaulieu,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We are delighted to read your comments. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to making our guests experiences truly memorable.

I'm delighted you were able to take advantage of our location, we think this our location is quite special and gives our guests a residential experience of Sydney.

We hope that you are an 1865 loyalty program member and will benefit from the many great advantages this program offers for your next stay at any Langham hotel worldwide.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney!

Maitland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

my husband and I stayed at the Langham for one night. One word for it, perfect! From the checkin to checkout everything was first class! The staff were attentive and friendly, service was fantastic, the rooms were beautiful and clean.I would recommend the hotel in a heart beat. We will always stay at the Langham when visiting Sydney. Hopefully for longer next time!!

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Dear stevecherrie,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We are delighted to read your comments and will be sure to share these with our colleagues.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay!

Wishing you a delightful day,
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Tripadvisor only permits me to award five stars as a maximum, but my personal inclination would be to award The Langham hotel in Sydney six stars. My wife and I have stayed in glittering hotels around the world where the welcoming smiles rarely extended beyond the front desk. The Langham in central Sydney is very different. We found The Langham to be both elegant and very welcoming, and that warm welcome extended throughout the four nights of our stay from 20 June 2013. We came from Melbourne to The Langham Sydney to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary, and the friendly staff at this marvellous hotel greatly enhanced the pleasure we derived from our special occasion.
We booked through The Langham itself because the hotel advertised a "Best Online Rate Guarantee" and that rate was better than rates offered from several hotel booking agents. The location would be hard to beat. The Langham is in fairly quiet Kent Street and within reasonable walking distance of the many attractions of the historic Rocks area, Circular Quay, and Darling Harbour. Our request for a quiet room away from lifts/elevators was satisfied. Unlike many hotels, the lift/elevator doors of The Langham Sydney open on each floor not to corridors with bare walls but walls decorated with colonial prints and elegant ceramic pots displayed in alcoves.
We occupied a Junior Suite with City View for little more than the cost of a single room. As the photographs will hopefully show, our Junior Suite was elegant, spacious, very comfortable, and very clean. Unlike many hotels and motels, The Langham's bathroom is equipped with shelves behind the mirrors to store cosmetics, shavers, and other personal items. The Langham bathroom contained a separate bath and shower, and ladies who have difficulty applying make-up and men who have difficulty seeing their faces clearly under commonly used hotel downlights will appreciate the thoughtfully placed lighting and extendable swivelling mirror.
Turning to the public areas, I strongly recommend dining at The Langham's own elegant Galileo Restaurant (photo below). We found the food to be excellent. The service by Kate and other restaurant staff could not be faulted. I cannot recall any other hotel where the dining room supervisor and staff took so much trouble to ensure that we were enjoying our stay, including the thoughtful and expert advice from Assistant Restaurant Manager Sin In with regard to an appropriate New Zealand sauvignon blanc wine to complement my wife's meals. High Tea is served in the hotel's cozy Globe Bar, and despite this onerous commitment, Restaurant Manager Ernesto, and helpful staff members Paul and Bennie always found a table for us when we returned tired from walks to the Rocks and Sydney Harbour. Breakfast in the Galileo Restaurant was included in the cost of our Junior Suite and the range and quality of food was extraordinary. On our last night at The Langham, we elected to have our dinner served in our room because we were packing. It was delivered with ceremony and the Tasmanian Ocean Trout and Chicken Boudin were delicious. The sumptuously furnished Drawing Room on the Ground Floor is a lovely place to relax in front of a fire and read books or newspapers.
We have stayed at elegant hotels in Canada (all Fairmont), Hawaii, Europe, and the Pacific region but the feature that sets The Langham Sydney well apart from all of the others is the friendliness of the hotel staff. Concierge staff can play an important role in enhancing a hotel stay and staff member Michael (in photo below) was always ready to call a cab or provide expert assistance in planning our Sydney holiday. I should also mention the cleaning staff who were never too busy to greet us with a smile and "hello" on the way to and from our rooms.
For us, The Langham Sydney was an unforgettable experience. A marvellous hotel such as The Langham Sydney does not exist without management of the highest order, and I must pay tribute to the General Manager Sonia Lefevre for creating the finest hotel that my wife and I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Kent Street is not a noisy area but quietest rooms would face the harbour
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your experience at The Langham, Sydney.

At Langham, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests and building great memories. It is a delight to hear that we were able to make your anniversary particularly special with our enchanting hospitality and leaving you with wonderful memories.

I am so pleased you were able to enjoy the full experience of our Hotel. I will be sure to pass on your feedback our staff in Galileo, Globe and Housekeeping, as well as Michael at Concierge. I'm sure they will be delighted to hear they played a role in making your stay so special.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney!

Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I like that The Langham is not located smack bang in the middle of the city, but in Kent Street, which is a little quieter than say Pitt or George Street. But you can still easily walk to places such as Sydney Harbour Bridge, Circular Quay, Queen Victoria Building, and Darling Harbour (as we did). We caught the train from the airport to Wynyard Station and walked to the hotel from there. Also, it is not a sky-scraper, but a nice ~four level building.

The lobby area was spacious and opulent. The check-in staff member was excellent -- friendly and efficient. If you are looking for a hotel room with stark white/neutral, modern, minimalist furnishings, then this isn't the place for you. There is a bit of a pink theme in the hotel (not in an over-powering way though) -- even the complementary items (toothbrush, comb, vanity kit etc.) are packaged in cute light pink boxes. I thought to myself this would be a great hotel for a girly pamper weekend.

On the morning of our departure, I spent an hour or so in the pool area. I was greeted by friendly staff. The change-room was spotless and provided hairspray, deodorant etc. to use. The pool was a great size and the lighting gave it a dreamy atmosphere. Looking up, it is as though you are gazing at stars, thanks to many tiny lights overhead. After a few laps, I hopped in the adjoining spa, which a staff member kindly switched on for me. I had a sauna too, but there is also a steam room if you prefer.

Overall we had a trouble-free stay and so have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a harbour view rather than city view room if your budget allows.

Thank you for taking time to review your experience at The Langham, Sydney.

I'm pleased you were able to enjoy our Day Spa, it's a serene sanctuary designed to calm and pamper the mind and body and is definitely a favourite among our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, we arrived very early in the morning and all the rooms were occupied but the staff prepared a room for us as soon as a room became available and we checked in earlier than the specified time. They have a pet's menu, ideal for travelers with their pet companions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We were delighted to read your positive comments about your experience with us. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to making our guests experiences truly memorable.

I am also excited to announce the launch of our Pampered Pets Program. We are proud to be the only pet-friendly accommodation amongst Sydney’s luxury hotels, offering your pets our renowned 5-star service!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sonia Lefevre

Been to The Langham, Sydney? Share your experiences!