My wife and I thought we'd try this place as an alternative to the Quay Grand Suites (QGS), our usual Sydney haunt. Our sleep is always most important when we travel. We were looking for a comfortable king bed with down pillows (QGS has tiny pillows with some sort of cheap stuffing inside - I sometimes have trouble getting comfortable since I have a problematic neck). Pillows here were indeed large and down feathered and the bed was firm but reasonably comfortable. Actually, I'm sure it was much more comfortable when they first bought it but now there are definite "body" indentations through many years of people sleeping in them. This could be seen even when the bed is made up. While relatively comfortable, the bed was not as "plush" as I would have hoped, probably due to the age.
I actually quite like the slightly "aged" look of the hotel's furnishings - it looks more old world charm - but there is nothing charming about a very used mattress. I hear they will be renovating next year (2013) after being bought by Langham.
- Bedrooms are large
- Service is fast, efficient and friendly
- In-room dining meals were good
- rooms relatively quiet despite non-glazed windows (street noises not enough to wake light sleepers like us)
- surprisingly good value - we only paid $40 a night more than 3-4 star hotels in 2nd tier city Newcastle. Also cheaper than QGS.
- large double sink bathroom with large bathtub
- no problems getting taxis
- mattresses very old
- bathroom products not 5 star quality - there is no shower gel, it's an old fashioned soap.
- location very convenient to The Rocks, but not to much else. George St Mall and QVB can be walked in 20-25min.
- breakfast buffet quite average in terms of quality and variety (al a carte also available)
- air-con controls allows u to increase or decrease but no temperature gauge.
Overall, likely to stay again - my wife really likes the service and the large rooms. However, once they renovate it will likely be even better. I just hope they don't jack up prices too much to recoup the cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Join us at Sydney's most exclusive harbourside address, The Langham, Sydney. Nestled in the historic rocks district, on famous Kent Street, this beautiful five star retreat has recently undergone a grand transformation, now boasting the largest guestrooms in the city. All rooms and suites feature opening windows, Juliette balconies and/or signature terraces, with the focus remaining on a grand residence experience for guests. Kent Street enjoys seclusion and privacy, whilst being a five minute stroll through The Rocks to The CBD; and all of Sydney's iconic locations. Our signature Pink Taxi is onsite to deliver you to any appointment you need within the CBD, with compliments. Guests are treated to Western Harbour views across White Bay or a stunning city skyline outlook across Sydney. Our global partner, Wedgwood, joins us for Afternoon Tea hosted in opulent Palm Court. Channelling pure sophistication, indulge in harbourside views, light drenched spaces and ambience jazz playing. As the sun sets over Palm Court Bar, jazz and mixology come together to create a gastronomical tasting experience like no other. The hotel is also host to Sydney dining hotspot "Kent Street Kitchen" led by internationally acclaimed Executive Chef, Thomas Heinrich. Delivering old world techniques combined with modern sophistication, everything in European chic can be anticipated. Featuring one of Sydney's most beautiful Chef's Table, three metres of white marble flanked by high back salmon chairs, Thomas Heinrich welcomes you to his personal table, positioned in the middle of the restaurant. The Day Spa at The Langham, Sydney continues to offer relaxation and luxury at the highest level when it comes to personal escape. Our newly designed and extended spa features facials, massages advanced skin care from German beauty pioneers, BABOR, exclusive Blue Mountains based IKOU and new partner, Aromatherapy Associates. The Langham, Sydney's renowned 20m indoor pool, voted Sydney's #1 hotel pool experience, features a star-dappled sky ceiling, meaning guests can swim under the stars, any time of the day or night. With a strong focus on luxury local experiences; The Langham, Sydney also offers private butler tennis afternoons, elegant boxed take-away picnics, unique terrace dinners, cocktail tasting experiences and local touring options for a luxury clientele. Modern Luxury and attention to detail, like Sydney has never experienced. Please, join us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Booking.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your The Langham, Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Observatory Hotel Sydney