My wife and I thought we'd try this place as an alternative to the Quay Grand Suites (QGS), our usual Sydney haunt. Our sleep is always most important when we travel. We were looking for a comfortable king bed with down pillows (QGS has tiny pillows with some sort of cheap stuffing inside - I sometimes have trouble getting comfortable since I have a problematic neck). Pillows here were indeed large and down feathered and the bed was firm but reasonably comfortable. Actually, I'm sure it was much more comfortable when they first bought it but now there are definite "body" indentations through many years of people sleeping in them. This could be seen even when the bed is made up. While relatively comfortable, the bed was not as "plush" as I would have hoped, probably due to the age.
I actually quite like the slightly "aged" look of the hotel's furnishings - it looks more old world charm - but there is nothing charming about a very used mattress. I hear they will be renovating next year (2013) after being bought by Langham.
- Bedrooms are large
- Service is fast, efficient and friendly
- In-room dining meals were good
- rooms relatively quiet despite non-glazed windows (street noises not enough to wake light sleepers like us)
- surprisingly good value - we only paid $40 a night more than 3-4 star hotels in 2nd tier city Newcastle. Also cheaper than QGS.
- large double sink bathroom with large bathtub
- no problems getting taxis
- mattresses very old
- bathroom products not 5 star quality - there is no shower gel, it's an old fashioned soap.
- location very convenient to The Rocks, but not to much else. George St Mall and QVB can be walked in 20-25min.
- breakfast buffet quite average in terms of quality and variety (al a carte also available)
- air-con controls allows u to increase or decrease but no temperature gauge.
Overall, likely to stay again - my wife really likes the service and the large rooms. However, once they renovate it will likely be even better. I just hope they don't jack up prices too much to recoup the cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Join us at Sydney's newest and most exclusive harbourside address, The Langham, Sydney. Nestled in the historic rocks district, on famous Kent Street, this beautiful five star retreat which has recently undergone a grand transformation and multi-million dollar redevelopment, boasts the largest guestrooms in the city. All featuring opening windows, Juliette balconies and/or signature terraces, a focus remains on a grand residence experience for all guests. Kent Street enjoys seclusion and privacy, whilst being a five minute stroll through The Rocks to The CBD and all of Sydney's iconic locations. Our signature Pink Taxi is onsite to deliver you to any appointment you need within the CBD, with compliments. Guests are treated to Western Harbour views from the moment they check-in, with all rooms and suites offering either Western Harbour or city skyline outlooks across Sydney. Our brand new global partner, Wedgwood, joins us for Afternoon Tea. Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood is now be hosted in our new dedicated afternoon tea space, Palm Court. Channelling pure opulence, expect harbourside views, light drenched spaces and ambience jazz playing in the backdrop, when you take part in this iconic Langham experience. As the sunsets over Palm Court, jazz and mixology come together to create a gastronomical tasting experience like no other. Whether it be for a quiet pre-dinner drink or lavish cocktails chilled with liquid nitrogen and tasting plates to accompany, Palm Court by night is an experience of its own. The Langham, Sydney also welcomes a brand new dining concept to the hotel in 2015. Kent Street Kitchen, led by Parisian trained, Chef de Cuisine, Daniel Rudolph (formerly of est.) Delivers old world techniques combined with fresh, modern twists. The restaurant itself has a strong focus on ambience, European jazz mixes and old school service. Kent Street Kitchen also features an exclusive Chef's Table in the middle of the restaurant, serving a full degustation menu, on a 3 metre white marble table. This impressive offering is set each evening with a beautiful dinner setting, glassware, silver candelabra and an ever-changing floral design. The Day Spa at The Langham, Sydney continues to offer relaxation and luxury at the highest level when it comes to personal escape. Our newly designed and extended spa features facials, massages and body treatments, as well as advanced skin care treatments from German beauty pioneers, BABOR, exclusive Blue Mountains based IKOU and our new exciting partner, Aromatherapy Associates. The Langham, Sydney's renowned 20m indoor pool, voted Sydney's #1 hotel pool experience at the end of 2014, features a star-dappled sky ceiling, meaning guests can swim under the stars, any time of the day or night. With a strong focus on luxury local experiences, The Langham, Sydney also offers private butler tennis afternoons on our cityscape court, elegant boxed take-away picnics, sunset sailing experiences, unique terrace dinners and cocktail tastings plus local touring experiences utilising our pink Langham bikes or Pink London Taxi. Modern Luxury and attention to detail, like Sydney has never experienced. Please, join us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Langham, Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Observatory Hotel Sydney