My wife and I thought we'd try this place as an alternative to the Quay Grand Suites (QGS), our usual Sydney haunt. Our sleep is always most important when we travel. We were looking for a comfortable king bed with down pillows (QGS has tiny pillows with some sort of cheap stuffing inside - I sometimes have trouble getting comfortable since I have a problematic neck). Pillows here were indeed large and down feathered and the bed was firm but reasonably comfortable. Actually, I'm sure it was much more comfortable when they first bought it but now there are definite "body" indentations through many years of people sleeping in them. This could be seen even when the bed is made up. While relatively comfortable, the bed was not as "plush" as I would have hoped, probably due to the age.
I actually quite like the slightly "aged" look of the hotel's furnishings - it looks more old world charm - but there is nothing charming about a very used mattress. I hear they will be renovating next year (2013) after being bought by Langham.
- Bedrooms are large
- Service is fast, efficient and friendly
- In-room dining meals were good
- rooms relatively quiet despite non-glazed windows (street noises not enough to wake light sleepers like us)
- surprisingly good value - we only paid $40 a night more than 3-4 star hotels in 2nd tier city Newcastle. Also cheaper than QGS.
- large double sink bathroom with large bathtub
- no problems getting taxis
- mattresses very old
- bathroom products not 5 star quality - there is no shower gel, it's an old fashioned soap.
- location very convenient to The Rocks, but not to much else. George St Mall and QVB can be walked in 20-25min.
- breakfast buffet quite average in terms of quality and variety (al a carte also available)
- air-con controls allows u to increase or decrease but no temperature gauge.
Overall, likely to stay again - my wife really likes the service and the large rooms. However, once they renovate it will likely be even better. I just hope they don't jack up prices too much to recoup the cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of Sydney, experience Australia’s most awarded Hotel, where boutique luxury is assured and personalised service unsurpassed. The Observatory Hotel is the ideal base from which to work and explore Sydney Australia's most vibrant city. Superbly located near Sydney's historic Rocks and central business district, nestled near the vibrant harbour and the world famous Sydney Harbour Bridge, this is an enviable location close to the bustling heart of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Venere, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Langham, Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Observatory Hotel Sydney