“The Langham Sydney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Sydney

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Sydney to your Saves list
The Langham, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 - 113 Kent Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly The Observatory Hotel )   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 182 hotels in Sydney
“The Langham Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We spent 1 night at this hotel as a special treat for a 60th birthday. A lovely hotel, the staff were all well trained & very pleasant. Location was great as it was an easy walk down to the Rocks for a great dinner overlooking the harbour. I bought the accomodation on Wotif so the rate was very good & included a cotinental breakfast & parking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your review of The Langham, Sydney.

It is always a delight to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. We will be sure to share your comments with our team.

Wishing you a delightful day.

1,021 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The stay at the Langham Sydney, was fantastic. I brought the family to Sydney for a bit of weekend R & R, and were blown away by the property, its staff and facilities. The look on my 11 year old daughters face when she saw the pool was magic.
Great rooms, outstanding service.
Highly recommend to anyone looking for classic old school hotel experiences.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Thank you for posting your review of The Langham, Sydney on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you were "blown away" with your experience at our hotel. Your 11 year old daughter sounds like an astute traveller and knows a fabulous pool when she see's one.

If you didn't have the chance to experience our Tiffin afternoon tea service this time, you must on your return. It is another wonderful tradition of this fine hotel and Langham hotels worldwide.

Yours sincerly,
Bangalow, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

It was with great delight that I learnt that The Observatory Hotel in Kent Street Sydney had been bought by the Langham Group!

I regularly stay at the Langham hotel in Hong Kong and was thrilled that I could now do the same in Sydney. Everytime I stay at the Langham I am welcomed back with a firendly personal sincerity that I rarely experience in other hotels. The Langham pride themselves on personal service and attention to detail and I'm really pleased to say that Langham Sydney was no exception. I would highly recommend it and will stay there again when I return to Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Nicolettevw,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at The Langham, Sydney.

Like you, we are absolutely delighted to have purchased this fabulous hotel recently and bring Langham to this wonderful city.

I myself have recently moved from The Langham, Hong Kong in Tsim Sha Tsui to lead the team here in Sydney and enjoy receiving comments that we have cemented this iconic hotel with our genuine and friendly Langham hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney.

Best regards,
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I loved this hotel. The room and bathroom were nice and we had a lovely balcony overlooking Kent Street. The staff in Reception were welcoming and the restaurant staff at breakfast and the bar were excellent.
I hadn't explored that area of Sydney before and found it to be a very interesting neighbourhood.
We plan to return on our next visit to Sydney.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bezzacct,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We agree that the location of our hotel is quite charming and gives you a different experience of the city. The hotel was build to resemble 19th century Australian architecure and a grand colonial mansion. It blends beautifully into this historic Rocks district.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Sydney on your next visit to Sydney.

Best regards,
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I booked the Langham because we were to attend a function at Circular Quay and also because I had always wanted to stay there when it was still the Observatory Hotel. Had I realised how many steps there are to conquer between the hotel and the Quay I might have chosen differently. Check-in doesn't start until 3 pm, which I consider rather late. I arrived at 3.05 pm and was processed very quickly. To my surprise they requested to copy my photo ID. Then I was informed that my room was not quite ready, offered a cup of coffee and left to contemplate the five Sidney Nolan paintings in the lobby for half an hour. At last I was escorted to my room which was not quite as big as I had expected given that the room size was advertised as 49 square metres. No doubt this was due to the bathroom being included in the measurement, and it was nearly as big as the bedroom. At first I thought the bathroom amenities were restricted to one bar of soap at the basin, it took me a while to track down the others which were many. There was a deep bathtub with a hand-held shower which I could not get to work and a separate shower cubicle with a fold-down seat and handrails. I was beginning to think that I had scored the disabled quarters. The bedroom was tastefully decorated, the first thought that came to mind was shabby chic because some of the furniture looked a bit worn. There was a double bed where I had expected a king one, three side tables, two built-in wardrobes, a writing desk and a piece of furniture the bottom part of which looked like a chest of drawers but which in fact hid a fridge on one side. The top part of this curiosity (the proper name escapes me) was home to a modestly-sized TV behind doors. There was also a comfortable chair with a footstool and an uncomfortable one at the writing desk. So if there are two of you you'll have to draw lots for the more comfortable one. The room had the promised tea and coffee making facilities, but not the expected personal espresso machine. Herbal tea was limited to peppermint, but hot chocolate made up for this shortage. There was plenty of lighting, an ironing board, a safe, but no clock. The room faced away from Kent Street towards Darling Harbour and was therefore very quiet. Having read about the 20-metre heated pool I had brought my swimsuit and went for a few laps. I can confirm that it is a very inviting pool, indeed. The spa was most relaxing. The change room and lockers could be a bit bigger. Before venturing into the Globe Bar I browsed through the directory of services and learnt that I could request a complimentary newspaper to be dropped outside my door in the morning. None was offered at check-in. I blamed my "hot deal" rate for this. The last page of the directory contained the Pet Room Service Menu: Woof Woof, Lassie's Favourite, Feline Chicken, Meow Meow and Tweetie's Crudities. According to the directory, the Globe Bar's focus was an 18th century celestial globe. When we went in search of it we were told that the hotel's previous owners, The Orient Express Group, had taken it away with them. Pity! But the Globe Bar is still a nice and cosy place to while away some time. On leaving the hotel I found myself addressed by name, I was surprised, but I am still not sure whether I was pleased. However, if you choose to stay at the Langham the staff will focus on you, and if this is what you value (over a convenient location, for example) you could possibly not find a better place to stay.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of years ago when it was the Observatory. The Langham took it over a few months ago so I thought it was time to check it out. The hotel is charming but wear & tear is showing everywhere you look. Room service was very nice. The pool was nice for a dip but is a bit gloomy. I will let them renovate & go back in a years time. Until then I will stay at the newer, fresher hotels that have opened in Sydney

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The Hotel was magnificent, the decor outstanding, The Service from the staff was the best i have ever encountered. From the moment My husband and i entered the hotel the experience was wonderful. We were greated by the conceirge who organised our valet service. He proceed to take our luggage, whilst we checked in which was a quick and informative. The conceirge then escorted us to our beautifully laid out room, and talked us through the amenities.The room was filled with outstanding furniture and an extreamly comfortable king size bed.The bathroom had all luxury toileries and was very tastefully laid out. We used room service which was very prompt. We used the bar and all of the staff were very gracious as was the restaurant for breakfast. I cannot fault this hotel we had a truly wonderful Hotel stay.

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We were delighted to read your positive comments about your experience with us.

At Langham, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests and building great memories. It is wonderful to hear that you leave with your own special memories.

We hope that you are an 1865 loyalty program member and will benefit from the many great advantages this program offers for your next stay at any Langham hotel worldwide.

Have a delightful day and best regards,

Sonia Lefevre

Been to The Langham, Sydney? Share your experiences!