“Lovely Hotel and Staff but Room Service Meals a Different Story” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney

You added Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   93 Macquarie Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #10 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Christchurch
“Lovely Hotel and Staff but Room Service Meals a Different Story”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a night on each side of our recent cruise. On both occasions we arrived well before the check in time (due to flight arrival from overseas, and return time of the cruise ship) and we couldn't fault the frontline staff on how helpful they were in trying to ensure we had access to our room on each occasion as quickly as possible. Top marks to the concierge, reception and housekeeping staff. They were awesome!!

The first night we spent there we had a lovely room, very spacious, very clean and with a lovely view of the harbour. This room had a sofa with coffee table, and a chair at a desk - which were all appreciated, given there were three of us staying.

The second night we spent there the room wasn't quite so spacious, didn't have sufficient seating to accommodate the three of us, which meant we had to use the beds to watch television, eat room service meals etc - not quite so comfortable, but still quite acceptable. There was also no remote control for the television on the second night.

On both nights, despite us booking in for a room for three, there had only been cups etc provided for two guests - so we had to ask for an extra cup etc.

We were however extremely disappointed with the room service meals on two occasions. My husband ordered the omelette on our first stay for breakfast - for $20.00 we certainly expected something better than what he was served - my Mum and I ended up sharing our breakfast with him as we felt so sorry for him receiving such a miserly sized serving. It was not a fluffy omelette like you'd expect of this sort of establishment - it was more like a crepe - and totally unfilling even with the two fillings he'd chosen, and certainly not worth the money paid. We eat out for breakfast regularly, and this would have to be the worst omelette I have ever seen! (See photo)

On our first stay we decided to also order room service for our dinner. My Mum and I ordered the Barramundi fish meal for $31.00 - the fish and chips were lovely, although it would have been nice to have had more vegetables or salad served with it - the salad was pretty sparse - consisting of a few lettuce leaves and two pieces of tomato. (See photo). Back for a second night's stay nine days later, we decided to order the Barramundi fish again - what a HUGE disappointment! The fish on both plates was 90% black - and tasted awful, rendering it inedible in our opinions. The chips were once again nice, but once again the salad was sparse and very basic. My Mum left a note on our returned plate stating that we were very disappointed with the fish - the majority of which was returned on the plate. The note did not receive any response from the kitchen. I just wish I'd thought to take a photo that night! Upon check out the next morning, my Mum mentioned it to the receptionist with the only response being "she would speak to the chef about it" but couldn't do anything about it then - so we were both charged $31 for the very poor inedible meals. Upon our return home, we waited several weeks, and received no follow-up, so emails were sent. To be quite honest, they were not interested in giving us a partial refund on these meals. The response we received from the Bar Manager was ...

"I have followed up with the chef about the quality of food that was sent out to your table and I can assure you that this will not happen again. He is not sure why for any reason that the flesh of the fish was black and is retraining all his staff to make sure that they are aware of quality that is to be sent to guests. Whilst it is not possible to undo the past, I would hope that you consider giving us the opportunity of proving the true levels of hospitality that we pride ourselves on offering at Sir Stamford Circular Quay."

This is not helpful when they are in Sydney and we are in New Zealand! A subsequent email was sent to their General Manager, but a satisfactory resolution was not forthcoming - other than a suggestion that if we were in Auckland (we live in Christchurch - a 1.5 hour flight away!) then maybe they could show us a better dining experience.

Unfortunately the meals we experienced totally marred what was otherwise a very pleasant experience. As mentioned previously, the rooms were lovely, the frontline staff were awesome, location was great and the hotel had a nice pool, gym etc - however, it is just a shame that when something isn't right, management aren't prepared to offer a realistic way of resolving the issue.

Personally, if I was to stay here again (which is doubtful based on the above), I would certainly not be eating on-site, but looking to other food vendors in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at the Sir Stamford. The room was comfortable with plenty of room for a family of 4. The hotel is very nice and is in the perfect location with all the touristy attractions within walking distance or a train or ferry ride away. The only downside that I could think of was the extra $40 a night for parking. I would highly recommend.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Angela K, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear NathanR,

Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the Sir Stamford.

I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our spacious rooms.

The Hotel offers both self parking and valet parking options for our guests and this carpark is secure overnight.

Be sure to check our website for ongoing seasonal specials and packages that cater for all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Maitland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed in the presidential suite, so you get what you pay for I guess. But I cannot fault the service and attention from the staff. The position of the hotel can't be beaten for closeness to the quay. The staff were attentive to our needs and made the stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear 2justme,

Thank you for review after your stay at the Sir Stamford.

I am glad to read that they staff friendly and attentive to you and your guests. We work very hard to employ staff who are passionate about Hotels and who offer great service to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wellesley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

My husband and I ended our 7 week tour of New Zealand and Australia with a 3-night stay at the Sir Stamford. We got off our ship early in the morning exhausted and upon our arrival at the hotel, we found a sensitive and caring staff that did everything possible to get us into our room early. The room was beautifully appointed and the public rooms were likewise warm and inviting. Our concierge was "amazing". He spent at least 2 hours with us helping us find excursions and restaurants, as well as walking directions to places of interest. I had expected to have to order a taxi to every venue, as my walking is limited. I was delighted that our hotel location allowed us to walk to the port, the trains and to the Opera House. Breakfast was not included in the room rate, but we found that restaurant and hotel prices for breakfast were about the same. Our last morning we ate in the dining room and the buffet offered many traditional items and some unique to Australia. Be prepared for breakfasts that run between $25 and $35 AUD. We spent some time each day on the deck and pool area. Well-appointed and very comfortable seating and lounging. Food can also be ordered at the pool. The gym offered good assortment of equipment and was very clean. We definitely picked a great hotel, and we left Sydney for our long trip home quite rested and relaxed. We will long remember the kindness and attention of the staff and the charm of this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room, facing the park and street below, was quiet and offered a lovely view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 884Andrea,

After 7 weeks of travelling I am glad that Sir Stamford as a fantastic finale!

Our staff are just wonderful and the concierge team lead by Troy are knowledgeable and very attentive.
I am glad you took the time to relax by the pool whilst enjoying some nibbles.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

The hotel is very nicely located, about 5 minutes' walk (downhill going, uphill returning) from Circular Quay, and across the street from the Botanical Gardens. The lobby was rather small but quite comfortable for sitting in front of the fire (it was chilly when we were there.) The room was spacious, but there was a half-flight of stairs between the entrance, bathroom and closet area and the rest of the room. Our knees were not happy. The room was quite clean, with barely adequate lighting. Internet was available, but extremely pricey at $25 per day. One rainy night we had dinner in the small hotel restaurant. It was much better than we expected it to be. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful

Room Tip: The hotel advertises that most of its rooms have a "Juliette balcony," whatever that is. O...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear zaphodfw,

Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the Sir Stamford.

Our location is just wonderful and I am glad that this suited your travel needs. We have many different rooming options so feel free to make a special request on your next stay. Our historical significance allows us too have difference room layouts.
During Winter we operate open fires in our Lobby and Bar, our guests love to opportunity to sit back, relax and use the complimentary WIFI in the lobby.

Our Dining room offers a great menu - updated seasonly and Heather and her team offer wonderful service to our guests. Bookings are reccommended.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Although this is an older property, the rooms are quiet and comfortable. The location is great: Across the street from the botanic garden, two blocks from the Sydney opera house, and a block down the hill to the Circular Quay (ferry docks), the Rocks (older Sydney with lots of restaurants), and the bus terminal. There was a free shuttle at the bus terminal that went through the downtown area. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear la901,

Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the Sir Stamford.

Our boutique property is perfectly located for those travellers wanting access to all the significant attractions that Sydney has to offer. I am glad that you found the location perfect.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This hotel is wonderfully situated opposite the Botanical Gardens and walking distance from pretty much all the sights: the Opera House, Circular Quay, The Rocks, Sydney Harbour Bridge, the Town Hall, Darling Harbour etc. The outdoor pool (small but warm) was a great amenity. We found the reception staff efficient but not particularly friendly, and there seemed to be a lack of information; for example I have read on another review that there was an area with free wifi, but we were not told about this. Our room was spotlessly clean and spacious, but soundproofing was poor: we could clearly hear conversation from the room next door, and were disturbed at night by this. We would also have preferred a solid door to the bathroom - the louvred one gave little privacy. I've awarded four stars because of its location - if I could have, I'd have given it three and a half.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SueJ1960,

Thank you for your review after your recent stay at the Sir Stamford.

I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the Hotel, perfect for our guests looking for the Opera House, Circular Quay, Botannical Gardens and access heading North of the city.

I am dissapointed to read that you were not aware of the complimentary internet access in the Hotel Lobby and Business centre and I will be sure to speak with the staff about this.

Kind regards,
Angela King

Been to Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!