“Another great visit to the Sir Stamford.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney

Save Saved
You added Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   93 Macquarie Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
EASTER SALE-up to 15% off
Ranked #7 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Queensland
“Another great visit to the Sir Stamford.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at the Sir Stamford (last time with my son; this time with my wife), and I merely review it again to confirm that things haven't changed since my 2009 review.
We were cordially welcomed back by the friendly reception staff; the young bellboy/porter happily took our bags up to our room with no expectation of a tip; and the room was clean and very well appointed.
We had a view of the harbour (albeit partly obscured by another high-rise).
But the location of the Sir Stamford is the best thing. We caught the train to the airport from Circular Quay station, so you don't want to have to drag your luggage too far. We had lunch and breakfast right at the harbour-side; wandered around the Sydney Opera House; caught the Manly Ferry to ... well, Manly; and had dinner at 'Fish at the Rocks' at ...The Rocks (separate review). All within easy walking distance of the Sir Stamford.
I held my nerve and waited until the day before to get the best rates on a room at the Sir Stamford from one of those last minute hotel websites, but I really wanted to stay here again. I'm glad we did, and hope to do so again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Angela K, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Seagull Rob,
Welcome back! Thank you choosing us a second time.
Our Concierge team are true professionals – for which you would expect in a Boutique Hotel. From your Valet parking and initial welcome, to the delivery of bags to your room. They can arrange any tours and activities for your or simply arrange your evening dining in the Hotel.
We encourage you to review Stamford.com for our exclusive packages and deals that we have available – For stays in December and January why not enjoy our Summer Saver Package including $1 breakfast......Third time will be a charm.
Kind Regards

917 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

what a great hotel, old style comfort and decor with all mod cons,staff friendly and helpful, at all times, a small glitch with the aircon (which was not working to cool room )but staff informed me that I should have rung down and they would have fixed it, (next time I will) was given a large room on 6th floor with a little juliet balcony ( as requested) it was a .very quiet room, with good thick curtains to block out street lights. very comfy bed and good pillows, large marble tiled bath room, with spacious shower, and a large bath, good hot water flow. food in the bar great and value for money, close to circular quay .
the only disappointment was breakfast in the dining room,on sunday , my omelette was so tough and dry served with two pieces of dry toast no other garnish and instead of caramelised onions as part of the filling it contained large chunk's of raw onion,not good value for $19.00, waitress was not happy either , ( only member of staff I encountered like this) so did not complain at time , however would stay again as it was a great experience apart from this

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 6th floor or above are quieter ,with a balcony ( for fresh air)
Dear Djascott,
Our large rooms with the Juliet Balconies need to be seen to be believed, how luxurious. There are not many Hotel rooms in the CBD where you can open your balcony doors, sit back on the lounge enjoying the fresh air whilst sipping on some French Champagne. There is so much history in the Hotel and this mixed with our old world charm and the necessary mod cons for today’s travellers allows our guests a relaxing stay in the Hotel.
If you are travelling from Adelaide again, why not consider an upgrade to one of our Suites.
Auckland Central, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is in a great location... having stayed in Sydney before, I knew where it was, and it lived up to expectations in terms of that. Unfortunately I was given a room next to something that made a continuous noise, along the lines of noisy air conditioning, and this went on through the night. My room was also opposite another small room containing an ice-maker. This added to the noise. The room itself was fine and I put up with things probably longer than I should have because I knew they were busy with Labour weekend. However after the weekend I wrote a note to complain. I was immediately given another room facing the Botanical Gardens and they also sent up some complimentary fruit. The room was much larger but I did wonder whether I would have been given such a room over a busy weekend, and that was one of the reasons I stuck with what I had.

My complaint is not about the service I received, but more about the fact that I was put into a room in a noisy corner in the first place. I got a deal on a de-luxe room and I do have to wonder whether these particular rooms are allocated to these deals. I was told that the engineer was looking into the noise, but I can't quite believe that this was a new noise. It was consistent on a couple of floors at that end of the hotel.

My advice to anyone staying would just be to avoid rooms at that end of the hotel. Other than that, the hotel is full of charm.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room ending in 01.. these are all opposite ice- making machines and can be noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Pat C,
Thank you for your feedback.
I am sorry that you experienced such noises during your stay with us over the busy Labour weekend. I am glad that our staff was able to act swiftly to find you a new room overlooking the beautiful botanical gardens.
Labour weekend offered so much in the City over that weekend including the NRL Final as well as the International Navy Fleet review.
I hope you take the time to visit from New Zealand again as we would love to welcome youback.
Wildomar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. It's really beautiful and the staff are really warm and welcoming. It's in the perfect location for exploring the city. The train, taxis and ferries are right around the corner. Circular quay, the opera house, botanical gardens, the rocks, the cbd and the bridge are all within walking distance. The rooms are big and beautiful. We were in #604 and had a beautiful view of circular quay. The bathroom was big and beautiful also. The shower took us a while to figure out but we can be a little slow sometimes! Hint, don't use the faucets for the shower. The room was really chili. We couldn't get it to warm up so we were given a space heater and that really helped. We would defiantly stay here again. Loved it,

Dear Johnellec,
It sounds like you managed to fit in so many activities whilst you were in Sydney, and why not. With our location so close to so much, you can shop in the morning and take a ferry to Manly beach in the afternoon.
Our staff is so friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable and for our International guests this is so important. With many guests arriving off early morning flights or disembarking the Cruise Ships, we love to go that extra step to ensure that your time with us is memorable.
Perhaps you will join us for New Years Eve next time and enjoy our 3 night package that includes breakfast each morning with a degustation dinner on the 31st December and access to our rooftop for the fireworks at 9pm and midnight. This package sells out every year!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.
Kind regards,
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed with my daughter 7th til 10th Oct and the service couldn't be better, and location to public transport. We had a mini mother/daughter break travelling from Canberra. There was a small hiccup on first night as room was cold and heating wasn't working- staff did their utmost to rectify given the time of night and made it up to us next morning. I have to say the service is on close par to that offered in Asia- one of the reasons we travel there regularly. Aussies just don't give service like the Asian countries do however Sir Stamford set an example other Aussies should learn from in the hospitality industry. The breakfasts were brilliant and we ate in the Bar of an evening- only venturing out one night as the food was so good. If I return to Sydney I would stay here again. Well done and thank you for your hospitality. Deb Robinson.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Deb,
Our new Tapas menu available in the Bar is a great way to relax, offering small bites as well as larger meals, sit back with a glass of wine and on Friday evenings you can even enjoy the sultry sounds of Angie Dean from 6.30pm
Mother and Daughter breaks are very popular at the Hotel. Next time book the celebration package and enjoy high tea, personalised bathrobes, slippers, breakfast and don’t forget the late check out. If you tie this in with some time shopping in Pitt Street, then you only need have one train stop back to Circular Quay where you can relax in your room.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.
Llandovery, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

From the moment we arrived the staff were extremely helpful. Check-in is normally 3pm, but we phoned ahead to say we would be very early and had arranged to leave bags.

On arrival we were offered the chance to upgrade to a suite, available immediately for $90AU per night, which seemed reasonable. The concierge also did a fantastic job all of which left us with a very positive first impression.

The suite on the 8th floor offers reasonable views, including a glimpse of the bridge and circular quay from the living room but the main draw has to be the size and comfort on offer. A separate living area with plenty of chairs, sofa, desk and large TV. The bedroom also has a large TV and a view of circular quay with small balcony. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The bathroom is large with a separate area with 2 sinks, then a bath on from that. The bath filled quickly but if there is one small negative, then the shower pressure could be higher.

The hotel creates a great atmosphere, being quite British in style but is not date or snooty in the slightest. Location is perfect if you want to be near Circular Quay.

Room service, including breakfast was great and very reasonable, $6 for coffee and $8 for muesli which is about the same or less as you would pay at any cafe around the quay.

The fitness centre is small, but I guess sized to the hotel. The pool is a great little addition.

The only real negative I think is that wifi is extra and not reasonably priced. When even basic hostels are offering free wifi, it is bizarre that the best hotels always charge extra. It would probably be cheaper to buy a 3G dongle and data pack.

Having previously stayed at the Shangri-la horizon club, I'd come back to Sir Stamford and not there and someone should tell Prince Harry to do the same in the future. It was nice to stay in a 5* hotel that actually lives up to its rating and reviews.

Dear mtbmatt,
Thank you for taking the time to review our old world charm. We all know that first impressions count and this very level of service can set our Hotel apart from the competitors.
What better way to enjoy the Hotel than an upgrade to one of our very spacious suites, the separate bedroom allows for extra privacy if you are entertaining guests. The location of the Hotel to Circular Quay and the Opera House, makes for the perfect meeting place to enjoy drinks and tapas.
Royalty is welcome at this Hotel anytime.
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked a deluxe room which is described on the hotel's page as having a sitting lounge and double vanity "in all rooms". Our room had neither. When we complained to reception we were told that was because we were on a higher level of the hotel. The web site specifically says "all rooms" - no exception.
The towels were very scant, there was no evening turn-down service and newspapers are no longer delivered to the room.
Our room also had an old stain on the carpet, and a strip of veneer was peeling away from the wooden chest of drawers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Angela K, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Totts58,
Thank you taking the time to review your stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that the room type that you booked was not available to you during your stay. I will be sure to follow up with the team that we are catering to our guests needs.
Our newspaper deliveries and turndown requests are normally confirmed at time of check in to ensure we service our guest’s at the most convenient time.
I would like to look into the stained carpet and peeling veneer so please feel free to contact me at the Hotel to let me know your room number.

Angela King

Been to Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!