“Great place to stay at in Sydney!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

You added Sheraton on the Park, Sydney to your Saves list
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Summerscape from $229
Ranked #24 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Huntington Beach, California
“Great place to stay at in Sydney!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

This was our first visit to Sydney, and we absolutely loved this hotel. The hotel staff was excellent and very attentive to our needs. The room was set up very tastefully, and offered a nice view of the Hyde Park and St. Mary's Cathedral. The black marble bathroom was superb, and so were the bathroom supplies. When we made our reservations at this hotel, we didn't have a very good idea about the map of Sydney and the relative location of the hotel. Being to Sydney and staying at this hotel, we now know how brilliant of a location it has. All the great attractions of Sydney were amazingly close - we walked to the Botanical Gardens, the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour, the Sydney Fish Market, Kings Cross (the Coca Cola sign), and the Town Hall. And of course Hyde Park is just beside the hotel.

The only thing at the hotel that might be a little better was the concierge service. While they were always very eager to make reservations for us at restaurants, I expected them to be more knowledgeable about the places of interest around Sydney. Again, it might just be the specific folks that I talked to at the concierge desk... but that was the only non-positive thing about our entire stay.

Overall, highly recommended.... great location, great staff and services, great rooms and comfortable beds... what else can you ask for? :-)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights around the first week of Jan mainly to do some shopping and to see old friends. The location of this hotel is quite ideal for shopping (if that's what's on your mind) - the back entrance of the hotel in particular will lead you straight to castlereigh street, and right across the road is the David Jones department store for men. Go through the arcade across the road from the hotel's back entrance and you'll end up on george street where Queen Victoria Building (QVB) shopping centre is. (tip: once you come out of george street, turn left and onto HSBC to get your money changed for a good rate; they use travelex but it beats the other currency exchange place closer to the hotel). and their rates are available online. The monorail stop in Galleries Victoria is also accessible via castlereigh street (walk out the back entrance and turn left, it'll be to your right just have to cross the road).

The rooms of the hotel are well appointed as what the other reviewers have said and are quite generous in size. the decor is really pleasant and i really liked the wooden blinds touch - much better than your average heavy curtain pull. The bed was big and very comfortable. The bathrooms are large and stocked well with the little amenities that you find in most 3-5 star hotels. Although I didn't like the fact that there wasn't a plug for my blowdryer inside the bathroom (so had to use the mirror outside of the bathroom), but they did provide a good blowdryer for guests to use, none of that really weak/poor-excuse-for-a-blowdryer stuff.

The only thing I would fault this hotel for was their average service. We checked in pretty late around 10pm and when the taxi pulled up in front there wasn't a bellhop to help with our luggage and I had to go inside the hotel and actually ask for help with our luggage. The receptionist was very cold and didn't give off a friendly vibe,although I may be knit-picking here since I'm very spoiled with the service we get in asian hotels. I guess it's just the difference in culture?

The business centre in the lobby is very useful for those who want to do some quick facebook/email checking and printing (for free), and the breakfast is good (not great). But make sure to come down early coz the restaurant is not that big and gets full really fast (but maybe that also depends on the season).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

My bf and I were backpacking and living cheaply but with all the rain in Sydney over the Xmas holiday there wasn't much to do and all the indoor amenities (aquarium, museums etc) were jam packed with huge queues to access them.

We went onto the wotif.com website to see if we could find a cheap hotel with a spa we could use for the day and the Sheraton on the Park came up at $130 for what should have been a $650 room! This was on the 27th Dec.. We booked it at 10am that morning, got there at 11am and although wotif hasn't yet faxed through our booking the staff were superb. .. We got a room straight away, and depsite looking scruffy were treated with respect and friendliness. The receptionist even joked that she couldn't get a room there that cheaply! (That rate excluded breakfast so can't comment on that).

The concierge was great at giving us vouchers for mnoey off at attractions (15% of featherdale wildlife park etc) and the staff who took out bags did not hang around as though waiting for a tip (which has been the case when I've stayed in lovely hotels for business purposes).

The covered rooftop pool and spa were a dream, the bed was super comfortable and the TV and bathroom were both enormous! Plus free wifi in the comfortable reception helped save us some money and catch up with emails etc.

Overall a great hotel and if we'd have paid full price we'd have still been happy with the cleanliness and service. A great way to spend a rainy day in Sydney when all other attractions are full.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

only one bad point about this hotel, it is on the road that is near the hospital, and at the weekends it is terrible. Without exagerating one night I must have counted a siren every 2 minutes. Otherwise a nice hotel

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Lacks a harbor view but right near Hyde Park, Museums, good walk through gardens to Harbour and close to shopping.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

We stayed for four nights in January this year. The hotel location is right in the heart of the CBD overlooking the park and a two minute walk from the train station. Very central and easy to get around. The hotel itself was of a high standard, the rooms were a good size and the bathrooms were large for a city hotel. I also liked the fact that in the room the large wardrobe area was big enough to hold open suitcases and hand luggage so the room itself did not get cluttered. The room we had was very quiet which was surprising considering its location. There was no view to speak of, but this was a city hotel so expected and not a problem. The morning breakfasts were of a high standard, there was a wide range of choice from the full english breakfast, through to continental choices, there was a lot of fruit which was a bonus and even ice cream which we saw people enjoying. Service was good by all staff and the rooms were kept very clean. Overall, the hotel stay was not cheap, however, we have been caught out in sydney hotels before so I would rather pay the bit extra and be assured of the quality. If you are someone who is not too fussy and just wants a bed for a night or two, you would find a cheaper option elsewhere, Given the great standard of rooms and breakfast, I will certainly return.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

I only stayed at this hotel for one night as i could not stand the snooty and fake atmosphere of the hotel. I informed the hotel prior that i would be arriving at 9am. Upon arrival, i was kept waiting till 3pm to be checked in, despite the staff telling me that my room would be ready in one hour, then 15 mins, then half and hour and so on and additionally other people checking in before me. Maybe because i was dressed in my scruff, i should of showed them my bank balance and Baleciaga bag first (i am sure i would of got a better reception). The room was nothing spectacular for a 5 star hotel, the entrance of the hotel was grand though. The spa staff were very friendly, they showed me around the hotel, the spa facilities and even allowed me to freshen up after my long flight, prior to checking in (reception staff - take note). Once i was dressed in my "glad rags", full make up, hair done and showing my diamonds, I was looked upon differently.
Unfriendly and unprofessional staff, drinks over priced - breakfast - nothing fantastic.
I was made to feel like a piece of s*** upon arrival of a long flight, they even bunged me in a room at the end of the corridoor. Do not arrive at this hotel in your scruff, you will receive unwelcome glares.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to Sheraton on the Park, Sydney? Share your experiences!