“Upper Level Hotel in Sydney” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

Save Saved
You added Sheraton on the Park, Sydney to your Saves list
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Rates from $199 per night
Ranked #21 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Sacramento, California
“Upper Level Hotel in Sydney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Sheraton on the Park is an excellent hotel with a prime location across the street from Hyde Park and a half block from Market Street for shopping and St. James light rail station for transportation. While in Sydney for a convention, we stayed five nights at the Sheraton in the lowest priced room, which faced high-rise office buildings. The room was large and well-appointed with a bedroom, a bath and a walk-in closet. While the quality of the bedroom and furnishings was high-grade, the bath was almost equal in size and featured both a bathtub and shower. While the rooms are modern in character, the lobby reflects the age when the hotel was build and is rather small and limited in facilities. Service is generally very good, but if a group arrives, lines can be long, Wifi is good but requires a daily or package fee. The St. James rail station goes directly to and from the international airport, if your luggage is limited, and for dining and recreation, the line goes directly to the Rocks. At times, traffic is very heavy and taxis can be expensive; credit cards seem to be the preferred method of payment. If able to secure a room at a moderate rate, definitely, the Sheraton should be considered when visiting Sydney.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear jfoote
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park for your trip to Sydney and for taking the time to provide such a thorough review of your stay. Im delighted you enjoyed your time with us and appreciate your kind words. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when your travels return you to our shores.

1,807 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Good location for shopping and access to Hyde Park and Darling Harbour. Street noise is a bit of a problem on the weekend but the rooms were well appointed and of a good size with plenty of storage. Service was consistent and friendly. Good business and family hotel alike with good conference facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear GourmandAus
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your wonderful feedback. Positioned in central CBD with such a great location we are faced with the challenges of city noise however we thank you for your feedback and hope to be of service to you in the near future.
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I stayed here for a conference this July (5 -6 July).
It's a great location for shopping in Pitt St. If you are coming from the train from the airport you can get off at St James and walk across the road.
The bell boys were busy when I arrived so went in and asked to leave my bags for the conference. Out of the 400 bags left, mine was the only one not taken to my room as it had been marked wrong (not marked check in). Was a busy morning, so I will let it slide, but as feedback, it would have been nice to be listened to.
Check in was actually a breeze after the conference.
I was in room 813. It had a park view. So am going to say it is a Hyde Park View Room.
They had clearly run out of proper twins (not a complaint as we had taken up a lot of rooms). So we had a king split (that could be unzipped for 2 singles but that couldn't be separated properly because of bed head).
Bathroom was great and shower awesome. There was also a bath and there was a space with room for 2 cases in the hall. (love this). The hotel also had a proper hairdryer (took me a while to find as there are tonnes of drawers.
There was a little sitting area as well as a desk in this room.
Wifi was paid wifi. Not sure of the rates.
The bar 1 floor up from the entrance was great, but not quite enough wait staff, but we liked it.
I did like the hotel and it is always nice to visit properties I haven't stayed at before.
Get a good deal and this is a winner.

Dear wildflowerb
Please accept our sincere apologies for the error in delivering your luggage to your guest room during such a large conference however I am pleased your guest room and our facilities and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on a longer personal visit.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel is situated right in the middle of all the action. It's across from the Hyde park and St Mary's cathedral. Breakfast in the lounge is sumptuous and the staff are courteous and helpful.
All in all a wonderful place to stay because it so makes a great holiday superb!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear MilanDiwan
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park and for your wonderful feedback from your family trip to Australia.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've stayed at the Sheraton on the park for business & pleasure several times a year for the last ten years. Friendly staff that provide a very consistent product. Recommend this hotel to anyone, won't be disappointed. Book early and you get a good rate.

The hotel is in a great location, close to shopping, train stations, parks, major tourist attractions and some terrific restaurants close by.

Room Tip: The rooms are consistent in layout and styling. What separates them is the size and the view. At che...
Dear Coolabah V
Thank you for your loyalty and patronage to the Sheraton on the Park over the past 10 years. I’m so delighted and honored to know we ensure all your stays are comfortable and memorable thus you return back to the warmth and hospitality of the Sheraton on the Park.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I've stayed in many similar hotels all over the world and I found the Sheraton in Sydney to be surprisingly sloppy compared to their competition.
1.When we arrived the bell-boy took our bags and offered to send them to our room. After about 40 minutes of waiting in the room I called the concierge to ask about our bags. After lots of unprofessional stuttering and rummaging around they finally found our bags and delivered them to the room.
2. I had specifically booked a room for 3 people as I was travelling with my 2 children. I know that hotels charge extra if you don't get a proper 3 person room so I called, made it very clear that there were 3 people in the room, specifically asked if the room would accommodate 3 people. Yes, yes, yes. Without fail they assured me that it was a 3 person room. When we arrived, it was a 2 person room with a sofa. I complained to the duty manager who smuggly told me that the room accommodated 3 people but there was no bedding for the 3rd person - surprise, surprise, that would be an additional charge. Ridiculous argument achieved nothing as this hotel seems to be of the opinion that a standard sofa with no bedding is adequate as a sleeping arrangement for a 3rd person. The polyester doona cover on the main bed was not great but it was better than nothing I suppose. So that really does give you some idea about how they view their guests and how unwilling they are to meet their guests' needs.
3. Cleaning was terrible. Whilst the overall cleanliness standard was reasonable (that is to say, it looks good), the devil really was in the details. There was a dead cockroach in the walk in robe which remained there (untouched) for the 3 nights of our visit. I left it there just to see what would happen - I assume it is still there. My son spilt a bit of milk drink on the bedside table one morning - when I returned in the afternoon, the bed had been made but the milk spill had not been cleaned up (I cleaned that up in disgust). Housekeeping pretty much just made the bed and changed the towels. Cleaning was apparently an extra (like bedding for the 3rd person).
4. View from the windows was the wall of the building next door - no light, no view. We kept the blinds shut the whole time.
5. When we checked out I asked the concierge to store our bags for a couple of hours. They lost them. After lots of stuffing around they finally came and asked me what the bags looked like. So much for their tagging system. They finally found them but I would rather carry my own bags up 20 flights of stairs rather than risk them again.

I'm pretty fussy with hotels. After 20 years travelling for work, not pleasure, you get that way. You notice all the little things and you aren't fooled by the pretty lobby and polite reception staff. This hotel charges a high rate per night and they need to deliver. If they want to behave like a youth hostel then they should reduce their rates accordingly. Furthermore, they need to treat guests like guests. A guest needs a bed, a guest needs a clean room, a guest needs reliable service.
Next time I'm in Sydney I'll try another hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rosey C
I appreciate the time you have taken to provide such a thorough review of your stay at the Sheraton on the Park and apologize for the delay in receiving your luggage. Our guest rooms do indeed accommodate 3 adults however please accept my sincere apologies for the miscommunication. Additionally, I will be sure to raise the cleanliness issue you had so kindly pointed out as this is certainly not the standards we strive to achieve and indeed we must do better. In regards to your guest room, we also do provide the option of our Hyde Park Side Rooms if this is more of a suitable option for you.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Dropped into the bar with the family for food and noticed the World Cup was on.
We were half an hour early for the bar food so we waited and enjoyed a drink while watching the game.
15 minutes into it the manager behind the bar turns the TV onto something else and has a snigger behind the bar with the barman, didn't apologise to us or inform us on the hotel policy just turned it over when she could clearly see we were watching it.
Hospitality like that in such a place would make you laugh.
We left straight away and found a warmer welcome and service in darling harbour.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Aneta955
Please accept my profuse apologies for the disappointing feedback you have provided as this is certainly not the kind of service we provide at the Sheraton on the Park and indeed we must do better. Please note we do not have a hotel policy in regards to the concerns you have raised however rest assured, I have briefed our Management Team accordingly.
Hotel Manager

Been to Sheraton on the Park, Sydney? Share your experiences!