“I LIKE THIS PLACE” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

Save Saved
You added Sheraton on the Park, Sydney to your Saves list
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay + Save from $199 p/n
Ranked #20 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Auckland
“I LIKE THIS PLACE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Since my last review I have returned. I confirm everything I said in my previous review about the location, cleanliness etc but unfortunately my last visit got off to a bad start. In December 2012 I booked on Wotif.com which in hindsight was a huge mistake and it was not much cheaper than if I had booked online.

Check in at the hotel took longer than usual and was a strange experience. There was confusion over my Starwoods points membership number and where I joined. Why it mattered was beyond me. I got the impression that the clerk was working off the profile of somebody other than myself.

I was then given what must be the worst room in the hotel. I have previously stayed in city side rooms. Although they have no view as such, there are windows with shutters and natural light and they are fine. The room was DIABOLICAL – no natural light, one small window looking out on to a dirty concrete wall and recessed area. I returned to reception and expressed my displeasure. Long story short, I paid the extra and upgraded to a room with a Hyde Park view because by that stage I was totally over it and my partner was waiting for me in the room. From that point on, all was good and we stayed an extra night.

As an aside, I agree with the previous reviewer about the reservation service. It is appalling. It is not at the hotel but a call centre in a galaxy far, far away. The broken English and confusion is terrible. The prices bear no relationship to what is on Sheraton website or anywhere else. For this reason I usually book directly on line and pre-pay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Bortam,
From the very outset, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing arrival to the hotel and for the disappointment in our “City Side” rooms. We also offer the option of upgrading to our Hyde Park View Rooms and am pleased to note this was more of a suitable option for you. Additionally, I would like to apologise for the difficulty you experienced with our Call Centre. This is disappointing to note and not at all typical of what we strive to achieve here at the Sheraton on the Park. Rest assured I have shared your feedback with the Management Team for review and improvement. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sydney and the Sheraton on the Park in the not too distant future.

1,739 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at the sheraton the park as part of our daughters bridal party , my husband and I were upgraded to an executive suite with harbour views. The views were astonishing looking down Sydney harbour and out through the heads , the best part was the inclusive access to the club lounge with fantastic canapes,drinks,views and excellent service . Overall the staff couldn't be more helpful with one important exception the reservation service. It was very hard to book in , with numerous phone calls and emails , conversations in broken English , misunderstandings as to whether we had paid , receipts , etc, eventually Brian the manager sorted it all out and we were thrilled with our upgrade , if they can get the reception and booking area fixed it would be the perfect 10

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Chris B,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. It is disappointing to note the difficulty you experienced throughout the reservation process, I appreciate your feedback as this will be addressed immediately. I assure you that it is our committment to meet every possible expectation of our guests however I am pleased this special occasion was a memorable one for all the right reasons!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sheraton on the Park while in Sydney on business travel. The rooms are very large with nice amenities for business travel (plenty of outlets near the bed and desk), and provided a quiet and dark night of sleep for battling my jet lag. The location is great- very centrally located, close to trains, shopping and walking distance to the gorgeous botanical garden and Opera House.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear mcgoldrd,
Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park. I am pleased we were able to meet all your expectations and make your stay that little bit more comfortable from such a long flight to Australia! We look forward to your return in the near future.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Recently stayed here for 4 nights in Sydney. The location across the street from Hyde Park is convenient for sightseeing and getting around town. The rooms are clean, stylish, and quite spacious, and the staff is very professional and courteous. The breakfast buffet is awesome. Would definitely stay here again if I were lucky enough to return to Sydney!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gluckita,
Thank you for your kind words and recommendation of our hotel. I am pleased to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sydney and the Sheraton on the Park in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Having stayed here a number of times in the past few years, I can safely say that the service is consistently brilliant. Rooms are big & spacious as are the bathrooms. Food is delicious & better then most hotel food. Well situated on Hyde Park & definitely stylish.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Michael B,
I appreciate your loyalty, patronage and review of our hotel and thank you for your kind words. We look forward to your return.
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Generally, I was quite happy with this Sheraton. The location is good – fronting Hyde Park – and the staff very professional and attentive. Check-in, check-out are smooth and the rooms are well appointed.

My single complaint is with the hotel car service offered by the hotel concierge. I was heading to a restaurant in Glebe – only a few kilometres away – and as I did not want to take a taxi of the street or the hotel taxi rank, I asked the Concierge if he could call one of the “limousine” drivers that frequent the City and the hotels. Visitors need to understand that these cars are not unlicensed mini-cabs or private cars. They are all plated in New South Wales with “HC-xyz” number/registration plates. As is the case in Melbourne or other Australian cities, they charge somewhat more than a regular taxi.

Well, I told the Concierge I need to leave soon and had two guests with me. He called a driver and quoted… wait for it A$125 for the trip!! Now to put that into perspective, after telling the Concierge that the quote was unbelievable outrageous, I took a regular taxi and paid A$15.00. For the return journey, I called a limousine driver directly and he charged me A$40.00 (which is what I would have expected).

Pity the poor tourist or business visitor who might think that the $125 fee is standard in Sydney. Pity the city’s poor tourism industry when visitors think the city is outrageously expensive.

Of course the hotel may respond with something like…. “We only offer a premium service to our guests” Well, they are all HC-plated cars and they are generally all the same. No one is going to turn up in a Rolls Royce or a Maybach!

Room Tip: Face the Park
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear afxdes,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment caused in regards to our Hire Care Service. Due to this service being offered by a third party we are unable to negotiate on the rate however always offer our guests several options for them to choose from. Our apologies this option was not suitable for you. We thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park and hope to be of service to you in the near future.
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Everything is 1. class at this hotel - which we also would expect considering the pricing. However, we find it annoying to charge the guest several dollars per half hour for WiFi in the room.
The room was large and very comfortable.
The view over the park and harbor was perfect.
The climate was perfect (it was +42 deg C outside).
The service was good.
The location is perfect - only 2 min walk from the metro with direct connection to the airport.

Room Tip: A room with view over the park (and the harbor) is preferable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JQNI,
Thank you for your review and appreciate you choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park. We look forward to your return visit and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Hotel Manager

Been to Sheraton on the Park, Sydney? Share your experiences!