“Superb staff and Services” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

You added Sheraton on the Park, Sydney to your Saves list
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Australia Day from $209
Ranked #22 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Lansing, Illinois, United States
“Superb staff and Services”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was part of a large group that checked in early from the US. Although the rooms were not ready, the entire administrative staff turned out to assist with a ton of luggage by offering one of their meeting rooms to stage the luggage until the rooms were ready and then assisted us with getting all the luggage to their appropriate rooms. In all my travels it is not unusual to have the handlers deal with the luggage. But when the Front Manager, Asst. Manager and other office staff was assisting as well, I was flabbergasted yet very impressed. It did not end here. There was an army of staff assisting with check out and movement of the luggage to the coaches. All this while the regular bellmen were assisting the other guests. The staff stayed very connected to us and our every request was handled with efficiency and with a smile. I have stayed in similar properties that matched or exceeded this hotel in comfort and amenities, but this won blew them away with the value added service they provided.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Carl M,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it was our absolute pleasure to have your group stay with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you all back in the not too distant future.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel is located across the road from Hyde Park - the city's green lungs.

The rooms are nice and spacious and beautifully decorated. The staff are friendly and helpful. The location is perfect as you are a short stroll from all city attractions. The park is your front garden and is ideal for a relaxing picnic.

Only complaint is the poky enclosed, rooftop pool. This could be be improved.

Would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Darren M,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor for all the view and enjoy. We are definitely positioned in a fantastic location that is convenient for all types of travellers and our rooftop heated indoor swimming pool is ideally positioned with great views over Hyde Park and the City. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park and we look forward to your return.
New South Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband had a function on the evening of 28/11/2012 and decided at lunchtime of that day that he was going to be exhausted driving home so booked accommodation for Sheraton on the Park through a website for $299.00 plus parking ($50).
As i was recouperating from recent surgery I decided to go in and stay at the hotel while he went to the function.
Check in was fast and efficient with friendly, professional staff.
The room was clean although the small window and view out onto a laneway and buildings back windows was uninviting, we knew we had booked at the last minute, but the shutters were great to keep the room dark when sleeping in the next morning.
Maintenance was needed in the bathroom. The toilet constantly ran and it was a real battle to juggle the button to stop the annoying noisy system.
Each time I washed my hands at the sink I would have a wet patch across the middle of my clothing. After sometime I realised that the sink bowl was leaking right in the middle and was leaking out onto the bench - I am no trades person but I believe a bit of silicone would have done the trick.
After arriving, we went up to the pool area and I enjoyed the view while my husband had a swim and spa in the great facilities and we went back to the room to change.
Prior to getting ready for his function, we decided to have a drink at the Hotel Bar. As we walked up to the bar, we were greeted by a member of staff enquiring as to how she could assist. We noticed glasses of wine poured and many staff standing ready for the imminent arrival of guests who could be heard in a conference room next door.
We explained that we were wanting to sit down and have a drink, we were advised that it was only 4.45pm and the opening time was 5pm but we could go downstairs to the main lobby where we could have a drink.
So we took the lift down to the lobby and walked up to the inviting area to the right where people were enjoying drinks and snacks in what looked very comfortable and inviting seating. We were asked what we were after and we explained that we would like to sit down and order some drinks, we were only then advised that they were closing at 5pm and that we could go upstairs and have a drink as they were opening at 5pm We did explain that we had just been referred downstairs and we were given an apology but it was reiterated that upstairs would be open in 10 minutes.
So my husband shuffled me back in the lift and we were back where we had just come from. I was not up to walking outside the hotel and up the street, although, let me say in hindsight I would probably have had less walking!
We sat down and waited for the bar to open and watched all the staff standing with drinks in hand ready to serve as soon as the doors opened from the conference room.
Within 5 minutes this happened and there was a steady flow of guests networking and enjoying drinks, we waited another five minutes and then left our seats and proceeded up the two or three stairs to the bar, heading for a seat near the windows, to take in the advertised park view.
We were stopped and asked if we were part of the conference guests that were mingled to the left and we advised that we were not but were staying in the hotel and were heading over to the seats for a drink and window view.
We were advised that we could not sit in that area as it was reserved for the conference guests. We therefore sat down to the right of the mingling guests and ordered two drinks. My husband ordered a particular brand of beer on tap. When the drinks came my husband watched as his beer was poured into a glass from the bottle and was asked if there was anything else we would like. He reiterated his order and the explanation was only then given - that the tap beer was broken. We found this interesting as while we were waiting for our drinks we were watching over at the bar as the drinks were being poured from the tap.
We mentioned that we were disappointed that we were unable to sit and enjoy the great park view as our room did not have views and we were given an apology. The interesting thing was that none of the guests from the conference were sitting at the seat windows. They were all standing in area well away from the windows.
At 5.30pm we decided to make a move back to our room for my husband to get ready for the function. We exchanged greetings to three guests who walked past us and as we were moving on I heard one of the three ask if they could sit over by the windows and they were immediately taken over to that area and their orders taken.
We stay in many hotels in Australia and some overseas. Some hotels offer better service than others, but I can honestly say up until this stay that we have never had poor service by staff. However I was very disappointed with how we were treated that afternoon at the Sheraton on the Park . Check out the next morning was again, very prompt by friendly professional staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear TravelerNSW,

Thank you for taking the time to post your very thorough review of your stay at the Sheraton on the Park and from the very outset, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience you had experienced. The comfort of our guests and room maintenance is of the outmost importance to us and I sincerely apologise for the bathroom issues you experienced. Rest assured that I have advised our Chief Engineer to address the issue via our Quality Management program. I also recognize the importance of customer service and am in agreement with you that the issues resulted in a disappointing experience and trust you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves and show you that this is not indicative of the normally high level of service we offer. It is very important to the hotel that we restore your faith in Sheraton on the Park as I recognize the importance of customer service being an integral part of the experience and our company’s most vital asset is our guests.
TravelerNSW, we have taken your feedback very seriously and appreciate your loyalty and hope we can welcome you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Sheraton on the Park in the not too distant future. Please feel free to contact me so I can personally take care of your needs when you return.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I recently spent two nights at the Sheraton on the park and I think it's one of the nicer business hotels in Sydney. My preference is usually boutique hotels, which this hotel is not, but there are character elements which make this hotel one to consider.

The lobby and reception area has a real buzz to it. It's plush, and has an overall quality feel to it. Staff are friendly and approachable and present themselves well. The room I stayed in was on the 18 floor with a great view of Hyde Park. The room itself is one of the largest rooms I have ever stayed in. The bathroom was lovely and well equiped, the bed comfortable and the pillow selection good. The gym and pool area are also great. Having recently stayed at the Westin Sydney where the pool was very undesirable, I'd say the Sheraton's gym and pool area are first class.

Don't hesitate in booking this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear SallBell,
Following your recent stay here at the Sheraton on the Park, we thank you for your feedback. Our standard rooms and bathrooms are the largest you will find in Sydney and I’m pleased to note we exceeded your expectations. Our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and linen are definitely a draw card along with our rooftop gym and pool with fantastic views of Hyde Park! Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park and for your recommendation and we hope to welcome you back for a longer stay next time.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Can't fault the service or the facilities.

Beautifully appointed rooms, enormous showers, super quiet, great gym with view over hyde park.

Ask for a park side room definitely.

Staff are very helpful. Concierge has great restaurant recommendations and can reserve tables for you generally.

Catch a train to St James from the airport and it's just across the road if you dont' want to pay for a cab.

Room Tip: Park side and higher up are better but all good.
Dear ridders744,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park and for your wonderful feedback. Our rooms on the Park Side have fantastic views of Hyde Park, St Mary’s Cathedral and Middle Harbour. Great way to unwind and relax!
It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Warm regards
Kajang, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed 23-24 Nov 2012.
Very good location, just approx 50m walk from St James train station.
Good rate, considering the CBD location.
For those travellers who are not used to 1.5% charges on credit card payment, Sheraton Sydney is the hotel to stay (prepaid).
Design, bed, facilities, amenities - all up to Sheraton standard
Reception staffs were friendly, even offered me late check out (for Starwood Gold member), even though 24 Nov was a very busy day.

Dear BKLimSelangor,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. As a valued SPG Gold member, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton on the Park and look forward to your return.
Warm regards
Sydney, NSW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is not a bad hotel. My experience with this hotel goes as far back as 1993, when it first opened as the Park Lane hotel, and then becoming part of the Starwood group, a few years later. I worked at this hotel from 1993, till 1998; and have stayed in its' rooms on many occasions. This was a trip down memory lane for my wife and I, as we hadn't stayed at the hotel since 2002. To make it special, I booked a suite for $599 AUD. This is one of the 50 or so suites they have at this hotel. Do you think this is expensive? You be the judge.
For starters, the choice to have your car valet parked is yours. Even though you have a suite, you can still self-park - I guess if you wanna save the tip? There is no choice, however, but to pay for parking. Even though you have a $600 suite, if you have a car, it will cost an extra $50 to park underneath.
These suites are spread out over the hotel, at all levels. So I guess it was my own bad luck to get the suite on the 3rd floor. Right next door to some meeting rooms. The view - the rocks on the top of the base of the building. Couldn't even see over them to get a glimpse of the park. Sheraton on the "what park?"
The suite has: a sitting area - fairly large; bedroom - not so large; bathroom - standard size.
How's this: The wood trim around the bathroom vanity is the very same trim from 20 years ago - when the hotel first opened. Bathroom amenities are standard, and the shaving kit was missing - an empty packet was left.
As usual, in-room dining is expensive. $33 for a steak sandwich. $8 delivery charge. "NO TIP FOR YOU!"
No free wi-fi, no free movies.
Breakfast - finally, something included! Go to the top floor, to the Club lounge, and swipe your room key. Beautiful view of the city; nice buffet breakfast. Note: This is a limited selection buffet. If you want the full selection, you have to pay more money, and join the ordinary people downstairs.
Considering my history, this hotel is disappointing. To go from one the best in Sydney - the late Michael Jackson stayed here! - to a 3-4 star proposition, is sad to say.
The total bill came to over $700. In my book , this is poor value. The next day, I received an email, asking if I had consumed something from the minibar and not informed the desk. Obviously, things were missing from that - unaccounted for.
My wife and I had a good time. But not everyone reading this review, will be staying with their partner, on their first night out in 6 months. There will be the business traveller; the families; the party-planners. Does this represent good value to you? I hope this review helps you decide.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are smaller, but may represent better value
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear thedjlee,
Thank you for your thorough review of the Sheraton on the Park. Our hotel does experience very high occupancies in all our Suites and our prices are benchmarked in line with all other five star hotels; including charges for parking, food and beverage, wifi and in room movies however I am naturally disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in terms of room allocation (on the 5th Floor). It surprises me to note your comments about the size of the bedrooms as they are some of the largest you will find in Sydney.
Our Sheraton Club Lounge is the perfect place to unwind and relax with many inclusions such as continental plus breakfast, coffee tea and a selection of soft drinks, delicious canapés, local newspapers and books to read, private and convenient registration & check-out area, wireless & desktop internet access, business facilities including facsimile and printing, 1 hour boardroom access, complimentary light pressing of 2 garments and Shoe Shine! This is all included with a Suite reservation!
Hotel Manager

Been to Sheraton on the Park, Sydney? Share your experiences!