“On the Park in Sydney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

You added Sheraton on the Park, Sydney to your Saves list
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Canberra
“On the Park in Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This must be one of the very best anywhere. Excellent reception, polite and helpful staff, large rooms. A big plus is the large bathroom. Location could not be better. My wife and I always enjoy a good walk early in morning before breakfast and we had probably one of the best in the world down to the harbour to Lady Macquaries chair then round to Bennalong Point and back through the Botanical Gardens and Hyde Park.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Park give a nice view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

An excellent hotel within walking distance of CBD, Pitt St Mall and the Harbour. St James railway station is across the road under Hyde Park and the monorail is a short 5 minute walk. The rooms are large and comfortable. I would recommend paying the extra for a Hyde Park View room as these are quieter than the City side rooms with a much more pleasant outlook. The beds are like sleeping on clouds.

We were fortunate to have access to the Club Lounge and we loved it. The range of canapes changed every evening and the staff were very attentive even during the busy times. All day access was great as you can go back anytime for a quiet coffee or cold drink after sightseeing or shopping. We found it very relaxing. Evening drinks were very enjoyable and we met some interesting people. Great views over the City to the harbour at sunset. The breakfast was similar to the buffet breakfast provided downstairs and staff even catered for my dietary intolerance which was greatly appreciated.

The staff are friendly and helpful with excellent customer service. Any issues were attended to promptly and with professionalism. We felt that we had been looked after very well. We loved our stay at the Sheraton and look forward to our next visit. I would highly recommend it for anyone visiting Sydney.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor for better views and to avoid street noise. Hyde Park View rooms ar...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Sampled another five star hotel in my home town last night, and while it wouldn't have been my choice in Sydney, it's a nice hotel with some pluses and minuses. I stayed here years ago before its latest refurbishment, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room fit out (it had been pretty ordinary before). The hotel is on Hyde Park on Elizabeth Street, so it's a nice end of town - close to the lovely department store David Jones and the shopping epicentre of the city. I had stayed on a lower level before, so I was very happy to get a higher floor and a lovely view across the figs of the Park to St Andrews Cathedral (lit at night) and during the day you can see a bit of the harbour and east to the Heads. It's worth the effort to insist on a higher floor and a view of the park.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom fine. The airconditioning seemed a little warm and slightly stuffy, despite my best efforts with the controls. I always complain about hotel rooms that get no fresh air - but that's the standard these days, and I'm swimming against the tide here. (If you want opulent luxury and fresh air go for the Park Hyatt, newly refurbished stunning Opera House views, but it will cost you an arm and a leg and probably several other body parts as well.)

The breakfast was great. I wasn't paying so I didn't notice the price, but the selection extensive, the bircher good, fresh mango lovely, a cooked to order omelette and proper coffee.

This isn't my favourite hotel in Sydney, but I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a higher floor. with views of the park
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Unlike most sydney hotels, the Sheraton welcomes you with a grand foyer reminiscent of old school glamour.
Rooms are typical Sheraton, 5 star every convenience but certainly not mind blowing.
The view across the park are world class.
Restaurants are great, location brilliant.
Only downside is the time it takes to check out.

Room Tip: always get a high room facing the park
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I enjoyed a fabulous weekend at the Sheraton. It's in a prime location so handy to everything. Great shopping at Surrey Hills and Paddington which is a brisk 10 minute walk. Great restaurants nearby, Bambini Wine Trust & Restaurant is only 2 doors down. The food is sensational

• Stayed September 2012
AMRITSAR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were there for 4 days and it being close by to all places of interest in Sydney especially the Hyde park and sydney Tower made it more interesting. Food was good and worth the value. Rooms were big and spacious.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed here on business from Oct. 29 - Nov. 02, 2012. The property is in the business (legal) district, but it was a ten minute walk from the harbor.

The St. James light rail station is kitty corner to the hotel, and it conveniently runs (15 min) to the airport. Only AUS. $16.00 each way. Taxis are expensive, but the main light rail station (Town Hall) is only a 5 min walk away.

Stayed on 15th floor (Executive Floor). Got a good price booking directly (and last minute) with the hotel. The room was largish (as hotel rooms go), with separate sitting area and king bed. Internet was consistent and fast. Air conditioner was effective and very quiet. Huge bathroom (soaker tub and separate shower) with lots of thick towels and good products. Room was clean, bright, with a good view of Hyde Park. On site dining options were average (the buffet was fine if you are into that sort of thing), but Bambini's Wine Bar a few doors down is an absolute "must see" for good drinks, atmosphere, and exquisite appies (they use fresh local ingredients to create a wonderful, original tapas menu). Say "hello" to Michael from Essex, UK when you are there. He and the other servers are wonderful.

This is important: after a 19 hour flight from Seattle (through L.A.) I arrived tired at the hotel at 8:30 am. They were happy to let me check-in at that time, although check-in normally isn't until 3:00 pm (I didn't have to pay extra for the privilege). The front staff, including concierge were fantastic in accommodating my every request (the best that I have ever experienced in a Sheraton).

There is a Starbucks 100 metres away, and a good selection of restaurants and bars nearby (even though it is the business district). The "Rocks" section of the harbor is lots of fun (do try and stop by the "Fortune of War" pub, as it is old, authentic, and good atmosphere).

This was one of the nicest Sheratons that I have stayed at, and I am a long time SPG member. I didn't have the experience of another recent reviewer who commented about lack of slippers and curtains. I was on the same floor; I had curtains and a complimentary robe, although no slippers. I travel often, and I felt that it was good value for what I received (I paid between $250 to $309 for each night of my stay). I will stay here again, and I would have no hesitation recommending it to anyone staying on business or a couples vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side have a view of Hyde Park, and from the higher floors you cannot hear the street...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton on the Park, Sydney? Share your experiences!