“Wow, this place is incredible” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

Save Saved
You added Sheraton on the Park, Sydney to your Saves list
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay,Park&Play from $219
Ranked #19 of 183 hotels in Sydney
Sydney
“Wow, this place is incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is probably the nicest, most luxurious hotel I've ever had the good fortune to enjoy. I wish my stay had been longer than a single night.

The good things that I could say are probably endless, but here are some of my favourites:

- the swimming pool, surrounded by glass, affording amazing views out across Sydney while you swim.
- the his and hers change rooms for the pool with lockers, steam room, showers etc. Classy, elegant, enjoyable and stocked with all the little things you might need.
- the rooms are beautifully furnished, spacious, and grand.
- friendly reception, very professional.
- located right in the heart of Sydney's CBD, opposite the park and only a very short stroll from Pitt St mall and the other delights of the city.
- we paid about $300 for the night on a secret deal, so the value for money was truly astounding.

Seriously, this place is majestic. A perfect stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

1,727 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Lafayette, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Our family of 5 booked 2 rooms at ridiculous prices ($700/room/night!) for4 nights over New Year's Eve. We called about a week in advance to request rooms that are connecting or at least next to each other. We were told that they would put a note on our reservation. Upon arrival, they informed us that they only had a reservation for one room. Luckily, I had printed the email confirmation for 2 rooms. Next we were told that they did not have 2 rooms on the same floor much less next to each other available and that there was not a note regarding our previous phone call to request such. We quickly learned that this is definitely not a family friendly hotel.
After being informed that we would have to pay an add'l $25/day/internet connection to have internet in our rooms they informed us that since we had paid more to have Executive Club benefits, there was free internet in the club and in the lobby so it wouldn't be a big problem. Well, each time you want to use the internet, you have to ask for a code (at the front desk for the lobby) or one of the servers in the Executive Club and then you receive a code that is good for one computer for one hour. They were not very friendly about giving out the codes and made you feel this was a special privilege!
Our children were told the first morning that they couldn't wear thongs to breakfast in the Club, yet we saw other adults in sweatpants and thongs. Our children definitely felt they were not welcome in the Club or really anywhere in the hotel. They are not allowed to use the hotel lobby computer area, not even under adult supervision. Ridiculous!
I would only recommend this hotel for business travel or couples. The location is good with Hyde Park across the street but beware that unless you book a park facing room, you will be looking at a wall outside your window from the buildings next door!...even at $700/night!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Dear Beth V,

Thank you for taking the time to write your constructive review. I am genuinely sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay and that you have left with less than positive memories of your time at the Sheraton on the Park. As I have mentioned in previous responses, I am in agreement with you that the combination of all the issues resulted in a disappointing stay. Additionally, I recognize your concerns regarding the rates for accommodation however due to Sydney experiencing extremely high occupancies, this does at times affects rate changes particularly over the festive season. Comparative to most of the 5 star Hotels in Sydney, we quite often offer more competitive rates.

Beth V, thank you for this gift of feedback and please feel free to contact me directly so i can ensure your next stay is a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Warm regards,

Brad Mercer
Hotel Manager
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night whilst on a shopping trip to Sydney. Stayed in a city view room which was very spacious clean - the bed and pillows were very comfy. Its really close to shopping and restaurants. The view across Hyde Park from the breakfast, dining room is lovely, it makes you forget that you are staying in the middle of the city. The pool on level 22 was fantastic, as was the gym. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and the buffet breakfast was excellent. Would definitely stay here again. Only one small thing the decor is very dark and masculine but thats just a personal thing - it wouldn't stop me from staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We recently stayed at the Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, with two teenagers (adjoining rooms) for the second time in as many months. The rooms - while not the newest on the scene - remain true to traditional luxury accommodations - great beds, comfy pillows and luxury linen. They are well appointed and enjoyable in every sense. Breakfast was delish with a good variety and some interesting highlights including the honeycomb tray - yum! Overall, a very relaxing and pleasant experience repeated twice over - must be the sign of a well-run hotel ;-)

Note:
Staff need to watch slamming the doors when servicing rooms/checking minibar - management can't control the thoughtless guests who think the world is sound-proof - but staff not following suit is manageable.

Room Tip: A high floor with a view of the park is a must - though you can here some traffic noise from the bus...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed at a lot of different Hotels during our two weeks in Australia and were at The Sheraton from the 30th to the 2nd. I was expecting the Sheraton to be the nicest since it was BY FAR the most expensive. But instead it came in about forth of the six we stayed at and was about FOUR times more expensive than most of them, and I don't travel cheap. I realize it was during the Holidays but the rooms at the Hotel I stayed in on Christmas day (Beach Suites, Byron Bay) were more than twice as nice for less than half the price.

When I saw my room at The Sheraton, which looked like the Holiday Inn (maybe a little more shiny) my heart sank with disappointment. It was very average, small, the view was nothing special and the "king" bed was the size of our queen at home. I called and asked for a higher room so I could at least have a better view, but they did nothing for me. I was on the 8th floor, in a King room, park view. I should have demanded my money back, but after booking online with a re-pay, no refund policy. I didn't want to enter a fight I couldn't win and do that to my girlfriend on our anniversary (which is new years eve) Sydney may be the place to be on New Years Eve but this hotel takes advantage of that and seriously rips off their customers. I would recommend staying in Bondi Beach and take the train in for New Years eve. The rooms at the Ravesis Hotel are much more impressive (two story, two rooms, large patio with ocean view for almost a quarter of the price at the Sheraton)

In closing, beware when booking online, especially during the Holidays, DO NOT STAY HERE FOR NEW YEARS EVE unless you call and they considerably drop the price. These Rooms (King, Park View) should be about 200 AUS at the most MAYBE 300 AUS considering location during the Holidays.

Room Tip: call in and ask for highest floor possible.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear mikerobertclark,

Thankyou for noting your experience at the Sheraton on the Park. I recognize your concerns regarding the rates for accommodation; it is important to note that Sydney CBD continuously experiences an extremely busy and strong business demand particularly during the holiday season and especially through the New Year Period. Somewhat contrasting comparison to Byron Bay, we continuously benchmark ourselves in line with all other Sydney CBD 5 Star Hotels, as we endeavour to ensure we not only match but exceed the offerings of our competitors. Our City and Park King rooms are the largest lead in rooms you will find in the city along with our signature Sheraton Sweet Sleeper King beds which have proven to be one of the biggest draw cards for our repeat guests and the discerning traveller. Disappointing that this did not meet your expectations.

I have taken your constructive feedback on board and hope to welcome you back if the opportunity presents itself when your travels next bring you to Sydney.

Warm regards,
Brad Mercer
Hotel Manager
Bethesda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

stayed mostly sheraton on this vacation, and this hotel was in a good location making it easy for us to walk and see the sights, definitely saved us some sore feet day two and three.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011 via mobile

I spent one night here whilst passing through Sydney after Christmas, the rate was $200 per night, the room was very well equipped and clean, the king bed was very comfortable with a good selection of pillows.
The building is not the newest in the world, but it has been comprehensively renovated, the rooms are tastefully decorated, the room and bathroom size are both generous.
I did not use the hotel Internet connection, it is an option at approx $25 per night, I think that in this day and age it should be wireless and inclusive, this is the only negative point that I have about our stay.
Overall the hotel was excellent and at this price very good value given the quality of the room, fittings, facilities, services and location.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Sheraton on the Park, Sydney? Share your experiences!