“Bright at night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney

You added Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 O'Connell St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Berlin, Germany
“Bright at night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

The Radisson Plaza Hotel in Sydney, Australia is convenient located in the heart of the city, only a short hop from downtown business and shopping streets.
We stayed in an atrium room, which faces a grey high wall. We were lucky as given a room on a high floor, as we got some natural light in the room; nevertheless, we needed additional electric light also during noon time.
But the light I misses during daytime was compensated in the night, because of a lot off small light from TV etc and from the floor shining under the door.
There is also a permanent noise from outside the window, AC?

What I really hate are beds with wheels but without a wheel stop. Watching TV with your back on the head end of the beds causes rolling away.......

Bathroom is ok.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We arrived with high hopes for our holiday in Sydney, Australia. Being advertised as a boutique, 5 star hotel, we thought we would treat ourselves to a bit of luxury and a room with a view. We paid a little bit extra for it but thought it would be well worth the money. How we were wrong.

Reception kindly allocated us the wrong room. How disappointed we were to open the doors into a dark and shifty room, only a few floors up and with one small window overlooking the hotel wall. No natural light whatsoever or the 'premier view'. We went down to reception immediately to ask them to check our booking and were hastily told 'you get you pay for'. An upgrade would incur a further 100 pounds a night. We resigned ourselves to the fact that Australian hotels were rubbish.

It wasn't until halfway through our stay that my husband had the foresight to double check the hotel literature and realised we HAD been allocated the wrong room. We were finally moved to the correct room on the Saturday night, a great time to have to pack up your belongings and shift. Breakfast was offered by way of compensation but with only a few days left and two early starts, this was a feeble apology and one of which we could barely partake. No financial compensation foer the money we had missed out on by being allocated the wrong and chearper room.

To add insult to injury, the housekeeping is sporadic, the complimentary water and newspaper appears when it feels like it, food orders are inaccurate and expect someone else's bill to be delivered to your room. All in all, a truly 5 star experience.

This is the last time I will be staying at a Radisson. Their customer service is an absolute disgrace.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite for 2 nights. The bed was fantastically comfortable, the room was whisper quiet and the staff were omnipresent and friendly. Short walk to Circular Quay, The Rocks and the centre of the city.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This is my second stay. Staff are great, decor after their refurbishment is lovely. My room is spacious - bed is massive and being short I feel like I have to take a running leap at it (willingly as it's soooo comfortable).
I wish I could remember the name of the commissionaire (? - doorman with top hat who amongst other things hails the taxis) - when I was staying 6 & 7 October, great staff member. Victor the chief concierge was charming.
Love the complimentary internet (which I am using now).
Great for leisure and business. Easy walk to so many shops, restaurants, bars and attractions.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Alice Springs, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

I used to be a regular at the Radisson but I don't think I'll ever go back.

I travel to Sydney regularly and appricate that if you stay in a cheap hotel that you will recieve bad service, that is why I pay the $400+ per night at the radisson.

On my last trip, I booked a car through the concierge (Victor?) for an airport pick up. It didn't arrive, so I called the hotel who said that no car had been booked and that if I wanted one I would have to wait 2 hours. No thanks, plenty of other limo companys at the airport. When I got to the Hotel, the concierge (short, lebanese man) yelled at me and said if I didn't want a car I shouldn't have booked one. He said he would charge me anyway.

Having arrived at 11am, I was not expecting a room to be ready for me so I asked to leave my bags at the hotel until I could check in at 2pm. I went to the hotel resturant bistro-fax for lunch with a client and was interupted by the hotel "something-or-other" manager Bernie. I have met him before but he introduces himself everytime he is on. Kinda cute watching him pretend we are old friends but not while I'm with a client. He has all the grace on a train wreck.

I came back to the reception desk at 1:45pm and was told by a skinny white russian kid that my room now won't be ready till about 4 or 5pm. Great. I asked if I could get something out of my bags, to which I was told that they had already been delivered to my room??

By the time they were found, about (30 minutes) the concierge had come over to gloat that he had indeed charged me for the hire car that didn't turn up and yelled something about how having golden keys made him some sort of demi-god.

With that in mind, when my bags were found, I put them in a cab, took them round the corner to the intercontinental and checked in ($120 per night cheaper!) They even gave me a harbour view room! Much better than looking at a 1970's bank from the radisson.

I only needed to wait 15 minutes for a room there, and there limo company turns up on time.

I used to like the Radisson, but has fallen in service, risen in cost and is now a dissapointment. I would have considered going back if I got a call from my pretend friend Bernie, but instead I got a call from someone called Abdullah, saying I owed $50 on the minibar plus a late check out fee for a room I never saw.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Hervey Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We had booked in advance with the hotel . The room was very small and no view, room 120 .Had problems with the door card keys and it took 3 trips to reception to get in. The hotel is clean and modern but at $240 a night was a lot. Went to a friends room who was on his own paid $184 a night 2 queen beds and spar bath.So ask at reception when booking what you get for your money.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

Stayed here in August with my partner to attend the Good Food & Wine show. Recieved no upgrade or gifts when our anniversary was mentioned. Was a bit dissapointed with this seeing the hotel is currently undergoing renovations & there were plenty of rooms available that night. Our room was very small & standard with no view. Expected something better for our first time in a 5 star hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable though & the bathroom delightful & elegant. Location isn't great if staying for the weekend as it is quiet & in the business district part of town (Wynyard). We were offered a free upgrade for our next stay after I filled out a feedback form so their service does get a gold star for that. Not sure if I would like to return just yet though.. maybe just for the bed!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!