“A good hotel but some issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney

You added Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 O'Connell St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Special Offer
Splendid Autumn: 15% off
Ranked #11 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“A good hotel but some issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We checked in on 1st Dec for a 5 night award stay using Club Carlson points. I booked an Atrium room and at check-in we were given room 430 (Premier room) and told it was a suite. It is not. It's a corner room right at the end of the corridor. The room was fine but the wi-fi wasn't good most of the time. On the last night I spoke with the duty manager who offered a room change to 412. As we were checking out the next morning I declined.

I was happy with my stay, except for one incident at the bar. I arrived back to the hotel one afternoon and went straight to the bar to ask for a glass of ice as I was hot and thirsty. My intention was to take it immediately back to my room and pour myself a refreshing orange juice from my minibar. The barman asked if I was staying in the hotel and I replied that I was indeed. He then asked for my room number and told me it would be delivered. I told him I would prefer to take the ice with me. He replied that he couldn't allow me to due to ''health and säfety"'.

I went back to my room and waited for room service to deliver my glass of ice. 5 mins later and someone knocked on my door with a full bucket of ice. Not what I wanted. A waste of employee time and more ice than I needed for a glass of juice. I was annoyed that I had to wait for room service to deliver what I could have done myself. Actually, room service were excellent during my stay, I have no complaints about room service at all.

I must mention Kelly from Housekeeping. She serviced our room on our last two nights and did more than just clean the room. She placed our toiletries on facecloths in the bathroom neatly and wrote a personal message wishing us a great day on both occasions. Little things like that do get noticed and we appreciated Kelly very much. She does a great job! Well done Kelly!

Room Tip: Avoid room 430
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RadissonBluSydney, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear bmiflyer23,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us regarding your experience at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sydney.

I was pleased with your comments regarding the attentiveness of our housekeeper Kelly. As General Manager it is always pleasing to receive positive feedback concerning our employees and their continuous effort in providing excellent service

However, I was disappointed to learn of some issues that were to your dissatisfaction and I have gotten in touch with you directly per email about these incidents.

As a 5-star hotel, our highest aim is to ensure that our service reflects our guests' expectations and I was particularly concerned to learn of the service your received in the Bistro Fax Bar.
Please be assured that I have passed your comments on to our management team to follow up on all issues and I have asked our Food & Beverage Manager to ensure that our service remains flexible to accommodate our guests needs.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these matters may have caused you and thank you for bringing them to our attention.

These issues aside I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us. On behalf of the team I look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Hotel Sydney in the near future.

With best regards,
Peter Tudehope
ptudehope@radisson.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Located in the heart of Sydney near Circular Quay, the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel provides a perfect stay for a Sydney getaway. My husband and I stayed a night at the hotel and wished we had booked for longer, rather than moving on to Manly. The rooms are fantastically spacious and clean, with all of the facilities and little luxuries that are always a nice surprise when you visit a hotel. The pool and facilities are also well maintained and inviting to use. We had breakfast included in our package and the spread on offer was brilliant. Reasonably priced for Sydney - this hotel is well worth a visit for travellers looking for a little bit of luxury in the hectic city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for I night last Friday. Close to Pitt St mall for shopping and Circular quay/Rocks for entertainment. Beautiful hotel with wonderful service and very clean. There was a very good vibe about the hotel and came home feeling relaxed. Appreciated the extra touches like the fruit bowl near the pool and the lovely exfolient soap n the room. Will Definately return.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Rooms are large, very modern and have the typical Radisson artistic touches to add atmosphere. The bathrooms are quite unique and are somewhere you can relax in and pamper yourself. Large TV, super comfy beds and everything is sparkling clean and modern. Slightly dark though, because the hotel is within a heritage building natural light does not shine through the rooms on all sides of the building, however you have a multitude of lighting options. Lobby Bar has a very pleasant atmosphere and room service is fast and of a nice quality. Staff at reception are a little frosty, not a warm welcome here. Hotel is only 5 minutes walk from Wynyard staion and maybe 8 minute to Circular Quay, location is great. A really nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed two days after a long flight and it was perfect. The room we got was quiet, well appointed, clean and had an excellent bathroom. The hotel is only a stroll from the Harbour, Opera House and Botanic Gardens. It is also ideally located near to city centre shopping areas and malls.

The breakfast is quite special, I thought. They offer all sorts of fresh fruits, juices, breads pastries and cerials. You can order eggs and omolettes which are cooked in front of you to suit your taste. In addition there are several other cooked breakfast alternatives.

The staff are cheerful and very helpful.

I could not fault this hotel in any category.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Spalding, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a central location. Very stylish with excellent service throughout. Our room, an Antrim Room on the 5th floor was well equipped albeit a little small for 2 people with a lot of luggage. The door staff were exceptional in the way they helped in every way. Within walking distance of all city attractions it was a nice experience.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed nice but higher level in the hotel gae better city views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have stayed many times in the Sydney CBD and, until now, thought traffic noise was inescapable, even on the highest floors. However, my husband and I stayed at the Radisson Blu on a recent weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights) and found it is possible to have a good night's sleep in the CBD.
I rang the hotel to book my room so that I could ask for a quiet room. The reservations person was very helpful, recommending a room on the O'Connell St side as that has much less traffic than the Pitt St side. He booked us into a premier room on the 7th floor, advising that all rooms are sound proofed and so it is not necessary to book on the top floors (the deluxe rooms) to get away from noise. On arrival I noticed a tavern with tables on the pavement a few doors away on the other side of O'Connell St. I was a bit worried that would be noisy on Friday night but we did not hear a thing.
The room itself was roomy and comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I liked the way they all greeted us with a big smile and a comment every time we walked into or out of the hotel. We ate one night in the Bistro Fax restaurant. The food was very good. I also used the gym which was well equipped.
Full marks for Radisson Blu. We will be back.

Room Tip: The O'Connell St side is quieter than the Pitt St side as it is away from the through traffic. I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!