“A treat in CBD!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney

You added Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27 O'Connell St, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Special Offer
Splendid Autumn: 15% off
Ranked #11 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stockholm, Sweden
“A treat in CBD!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

In Sydney most luxury hotels are situated in skyscrapers dated from the 70´s. If you fancy something more rustic the Radisson is a solid option, located in an old nice stone house. (old bank I believe)
We stayed in the Radisson for four nights. The location of the Radisson is unbeatable both for business and leisure. Close to the harbour and its boats, the park and walking distance also to other areas with more bars and a younger crowd.

The downsides with the Radisson was that the rooms were not that spacious and the walls not soundproof. Not an actual issue thou.
(even thou we stayed in one of the larger rooms on the top floor)

However, I was a bit disappointed with the pool and spa area. Not necessarily the pool itself more the fact that there was always a group that kids playing in the pool.
Nothing against kids, but when you want to relax and take a swim you don´t want kids jumping in the pool.

Overall a very pleasant stay at the Radisson, great breakfast and room service menu. Staff was very professional, specially the Japanese guy.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I was booked into this hotel by my secretary as this was the closest to our office. I cannot complain about the location though as it is just a minute away from Wnyard station and it was another minute walk from my office.

Most hotels in Sydney have the strange problem that they don't allow early check-in. Most international flights land in Sydney early morning and it was an amazing crowd in the reception all waiting for the rooms to free-up (including the flight crew). I couldn't take chance as I had an early morning meeting and so had to pre-book the room for the previous day itself. I felt this was a rip-off as I had paid over AUD 280 just to take a clean shower after my 15 hours journey from San Francisco. I cannot believe why such hotels cannot offer 24-hours checkout, which sounds very crazy to me. Having said that I have had similar experience in Singapore also - having to pay for having a early morning shower!!!

The restaurent was decent - as I had seen in other Radisson hotels (the best one is in Berlin). The choice for breakfast was decent. My room rate didn't include breakfast but I had to negotiate with the front office to take it on the house.

The most surprising part was my room was not serviced when I returned in the evening - they said you had checked in the morning only and so it was not serviced. Of course I had to remind them twice and got it done while I was away for dinner.

Overall good place for business travellers but could be heavy on pocket if you on personal trip.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

The Radisson Plaza Hotel Sydney is fabulous. I loved every minute of my stay there.

I would have liked a room with a view other than that of the internal structure of the building complex, but I guess I could also have chosen to upgrade if I was really desperate for a view.

There was no waiting around for my room to be organised. It was ready upon arrival. Loved that the porter brought up my bags. It's the small things that really make you feel special.

Food is a big thing for me, and the in-room dining menu was fabulous here. Of course, there are many restaurants around Sydney if you so choose to go out and dine, and the hotel does have a top restaurant. However, the hotel is a short walk from Circular Quay, so I'd recommend checking out any of the restaurants and cafés that are located there.

Loved that the room was clean. You hear lots of horror stories about hotel rooms that, despite the 4 or 5 star rating of the hotel, are unacceptably dirty. No problems here though. My room was spotless, and housekeeping kept it that way for the week that I stayed. And one of the best parts of my stay, was that it is a smoke free hotel!

The staff are polite and helpful, and there was no hint of condescension from any of them. They gave the impression that they genuinely were happy that I'd chosen to stay at the Radisson Plaza. I was certainly happy that I'd chosen to stay there. Again, for a 5 star hotel, it was lovely to see all manner of guests, from business people, to families, to couples, and solo travellers, and a great age range of patrons as well.

The location of the hotel is perfect, with Circular Quay a short walk away, Pitt Street Mall is even closer, and for a longer walk, Darling Harbour isn't too far away.

I absolutely LOVED staying here, and I highly recommend it to anyone . . . to be honest, I'd be quite happy to permanently reside at the Radisson Plaza in Sydney.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Cairns Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Stayed here for four nights over Easter. The location is fantastic- perfectly situated between Circular Quay and the Pitt Street Mall shopping area. The room was big and very comfortable. Loved the doona and pillows.

Minor bugbears as follows:

1. My room was not ready when I checked in at 2.10pm. The staff were very keen that I go for a walk for an hour. As I am pregnant and suffering from morning sickness, I preferred to wait. My room was ready 5 minutes later so I think waiting meant it was bumped up the order.
2. It took just under two hours for my suitcase to come up to my room. I had to ring chasing it. I wanted to take a bath and then change and go out, both of which I could not do until I had my bag.
3. My doorknob breakfast menu was not replaced on my second 2 days. The first day I went out to Circular Quay and the second day I had to chase up reception for one.

On a better note, all the room service I ordered was prompt and delicious. And the free wifi was the best!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Loved this hotel. Location great. Staff were incredibly helpful and made sure we had everything we needed. Room was great. I needed the wheelchair accessible room and it was one of the best we have stayed in. Thanks - will stay there again.

Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

A great all round stay.

From the greeting at the door to final check-out, the staff in this hotel could not have been more welcoming and obliging.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, very close to most of the downtown locations especially Circular Quay, the Rocks and the Royal Botanical Gardens. In style the hotel is modern but tasteful, with some deceptively spacious public rooms.

My room was very spacious and had a delightfully comfortable bed, with a spotlessly clean bathroom with a full sized bath in it.

Food in the hotel was good with the prices reasonable for such a well located hotel. The facilities were good, but in tune with this being a business hotel rather than a leisure hotel.

All in all it was difficult to fault this hotel, and speaking to Australian friends in Sydney is a well regarded place for visiting colleagues to stay when on short trips. In particular it would be hard to find a better located hotel without paying twice the price in Sydney.

Room Tip: Walk from here to all the city centre locations!
Aussie in Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We have stayed here a few times and will be back again. The rooms are plush and spacious. The breakfast is the best breakfast I've had at any hotel anywhere (all the standard cereals, hot breakfast, plus pancakes, waffles, pastries!). Great location for spending the weekend in the city - close to Wynyard Station and Circular Quay. A little bit pricey - but good for a treat!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney? Share your experiences!