“Worth the extra cost” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quay West Suites Sydney

You added Quay West Suites Sydney to your Saves list
Quay West Suites Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   98 Gloucester St | The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Special Offer
Early Booking
Ranked #15 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Worth the extra cost”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed for 8 nights and had the 2 bed apartment. (Taxi is about A$50 from airport). The views were incredible - 180 degree of the harbour bridge and opera house. Great to watch the ferries and cruise ships coming and going. The apartment was very clean and spacious for 4 adults with 2 double rooms (very comfy firm beds) and a sofa bed in large lounge, large dining table and a very well equipped kitchen (hob, microwave , toaster,fridge dishwasher (powder provided) so we were able to make our own meals on the nights we stayed in. Also excellent washing machine and tumbledryer (washing powder provided but not tumble dryer softener sheets) We arrived very early in the morning and the room was not yet ready but the staff were great. They gave us towels and we were able to get changed shower and also use the pool facilities on the recreation deck. Very welcome after flying direct from the UK. The pool although not huge was rarely busy and you can swim while looking out over the harbour. Circular key is a very easy 5 minute walk and so you have access to all the transport links which are very easy to use. The ferries are a great way to explore and they have free WiFi. My only criticism of the hotel is that you had to pay for WiFi (not cheap) which, given the cost of the hotel I thought was a bit unreasonable. Sydney is pretty expensive to eat out every night as so was very handy to have the kitchen. Beware do not buy food at the small stores there is a small supermarket about 5 mins from the hotel and also a woolworths and Coles within 10 minutes. Overall just a fabulous hotel

Room Tip: 2 bed apartments have awesome views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Let me start with the good things about the hotel. The location is fabulous - near to the harbour and near to George Street which is the shopping street. Service meets expectation. You'll get the nicest view if you stay in the deluxe rooms but the standard rooms have decent views too. Ours face directly across The Four Seasons and Marriot but still able to see the waterfront. Room size is large and is very well-furnished. Beddings and pillows are very comfortable.

One main gripe I have is the internet. When I checked-in, I couldn't get a wifi signal in the room and later I was told by the concierge that there is no wi-fi. I saw an ethernet cable in the room but since I am using the new MacBook Pro, it doesn't have an ethernet port and I had to run out to the Apple Store to get an adapter. This is after a 16 hour journey to Sydney from China. The internet is also NOT FREE and to be paying for a connection so terribly slow is just daylight robbery. $290 for a month of crappy connection. I'm not even sure why I am bring charge $290 for 4 weeks when I am only staying for 10 nights. I guess I'll find out upon check-out.

The day after, in the morning, the wi-fi signal was detectable - so there was wi-fi afterall! I didn't have to run out to get my computer plugged to the ethernet cable! That was some bad information given. However, I decided to keep using the ethernet because we were only able to connect a maximum of 3 devices per room onto the wifi network. The connection via ethernet is better than the wifi but it was still so slow, they had to bring a router up to get a better signal! I also had to keep resetting my password. And each time the password is reset the connection will get better for a bit and then worse. And every time it got worse I had to call reception to have them reset my password and restart my computer all over again in order to get it going. Connecting to the router didn't quite work out to be a solution. It is extremely frustrating and annoying especially when there is work to do! In this day and age, the hotel's service and capabilities in this regard is sorely lacking and disappointing.

Also, the housekeeping doesn't do a good job of cleaning the room. The bin in the toilet was not emptied and the cooking pans were crusty because they weren't washed properly.

Hope the rest of our stay gets better than this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed for a week back in July and really enjoyed our time at he Quay West.

We had a two bedroom harbour view apartment and the view was amazing. To wake up with the sunrise over the Opera House and Harbour Bridge was fantastic.

The rooms were fine with modern kit, including a very useful washer and dryer, which was great as we were on a four week trip and our clothes needed freshening.

Location was great for Circular Quay and the Rocks. Easy access to the trains and the ferries. One bonus was the swimming pool, which was great and used by our kids most days. The gym was also pretty good with nice views over the city, while you exercised.

Even though, it's not the cheapest place to stay, the two bedroom apartment was massive and so, a much better way of living for a family travelling together than a hotel room.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a Harbour view - the extra money is well worth it
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Best possible pivotal point for exploring the historic Rocks area, catching ferries and public transport from Circular Quay and relaxing against the backdrop of the iconic Opera House.
Ensure you book the best possible suite with a harbour view. They are spacious and provide the perfect vantage point.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We are a family travelling for 5 weeks with 2 boys aged 12 and 14.

Our requirement in Sydney was always going to be a good view, 2 bedrooms, in suite washing/drying facilities and a kitchen. Quay West Suites is perfect for this.

The view from a 2 bedroom harbour view apartment is magnificent with the harbour bridge directly in front of you and the Opera House at 45 degrees....I do not think you can get better.

The hotel is a unconventional set up as it is part of private accommodation and on the Lower floors offices and a restaurant. However, for space it is wonderful, plenty of room in the bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and lounge/dining area. It is a little dated in terms of decor but our apartment was very clean and cleaned daily so no complaints from us.

The pool area is great, wonderful views again and a nice pool, sauna and gym set up.

The staff were great with us. I have read some bad reviews here but I have to say we found them friendly and helpful.

WIFI is a little expensive so if you search for wifi in the room, I am sure you will find free hotels either side of the Quay West that become available.

Loved Sydney, the roof garden on the Glenmore Hotel, which can be seen just before the bridge is excellent.

Great hotel for our needs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We recently held our meeting here over eleven days and the service was excellent. The suite was spacious and very clean. Stocked with an assortment of teas and coffee to enjoy. I could not have asked for better service from checking in to the restaurant staff, all were very friendly and accommodating. The location was so convenient to the habour, Sydney Opera House, and many restaurants to choose from. I would definitely recommend a stay here as we were a fairly large group and enjoyed the stay. Pam

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed in a 2 bed, harbour view apartment for 4 adults. There was plenty of space - we had 1 ensuite room and another full bathroom for the second bedroom, a small kitchen and laundry and a large lounge / dining area. The view was great - huge picture windows with views of the Bridge and Opera House, but the whole apartment was very dated. Décor and furniture were tired and the mattresses had definitely seen better days. This is not a cheap option - you pay handsomely for the view - but the whole place is in dire need of a refresh.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Quay West Suites Sydney? Share your experiences!