“For a memory that lingers long after the vactaion is over!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour

You added Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour to your Saves list
Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   61 Macquarie Street | East Circular Quay, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #6 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Atlanta, Georgia
“For a memory that lingers long after the vactaion is over!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Wonderful hotel. Be sure you request a harbor view room (more expensive but oh, so worth it). Furnishings are 1st class and include a full kitchen and washer dryer. Balcony overlooks Circular Quay and the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Convenient to the Rocks, Kings Cross and all forms of public transportation. If you're looking for a romantic place to stay, with killer views - look no further. Worth every penny we paid!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

You can't go wrong here ... the location is beautful, the rooms are great and the service is terrific.

I can't honestly think of a bad thing to say. Sure it's pricey ... but you usually get what you pay for!

Regarding the view ... we had an absoutely perfect view of the harbour bridge, but seeing the Opera House required some neck craning from the balcony ... if you're familiar with the location this might seem obvious, but thought I should mention it.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Coventry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I travelled to Sydney with my Mum, Dad and 87 year old Grandma and stayed in the Quay Grand for 8 days. We had booked a 2 roomed appartment but got two interconnecting one bedroom appartments. They were fantastic, one one side views of Darling Harbour with the bridge and the other was the Botanic Gardens with the Opera House. Can say anything bad, staff were fantastic particularly Rick the concierge with everywhere cleaned to a very high standard everyday.

Would definatly recommend this hotel to anyone. Even if you dont go out you can sit and admire the views of the city sites.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

This property is perfectly located on Circular Quay and this was our third annual visit for a stay of 12 nights in a Quay view suite.

I decided to post this review because this year I experienced many of the issues of previous years that remain unresolved and I was interested to read the earlier review concerning the reception received on an early arrival as a pattern is emerging. As the previous poster, we arrived on an early morning flight having booked and notified Grand Quay a year in advance. Early check in is not an entitlement or guarantee and we perfectly understood when it isn’t possible and accept it with good grace as we did last year having booked a year out. But we’d like an effort to be made. However at 08:00 in the pouring rain it was suggested we went out for a walk for 3 or 4 hours. We returned at 11:30 and the suite wasn’t ready yet – which wasn’t a problem. At 11:45 we were told by the female receptionist that there was good news and that the previous occupant had checked out and we were “ready to go” and that we would be able to take the suite at around 12:15 to 12:30 after it had been serviced.

At 12:15 a couple came in with a baby and were told their suite wasn’t ready. The other receptionist – male - called the housekeeper, and she was instructed to make this family’s room a priority. Half an hour after they had arrived and nearly 5 hours after we’d arrived, this other family were told their suite had been serviced and was ready. In fact they waited in the bar area looking out of the window for a further 15 minutes clearly not being too concerned to occupy their suite.

We were eventually given the key at 13:30 and wishing not to cause a scene I waited until I was alone with the male receptionist and told him that he had upset me by delaying the servicing of our suite in favour of the people that arrived over 4 hours after us. He didn’t apologise but instead said untruthfully that our suite wasn’t ready for servicing when he had requested that the other was made a priority. I pointed out that this was untrue as we’d been told 30 minutes before their arrival by the other receptionist that it was waiting for servicing. He then changed his excuse – and this pathetic excuse was the killer for me – he said that as our suite was going to take longer to service as the previous occupant had had a longer stay he had decided to delay servicing ours and service the other people’s suite before ours. In other words our suite was going to take longer so he decided to delay housekeeping from starting it. Further discussion was met with rude gruffness so the issue wasn’t resolved satisfactorily and frankly having travelled around the world to get here it ruined our mood for a while. There was apparently no concern over this exchange as there was never any follow up.

When Ric, the very talented and conscientious concierge previously from the Plaza who was concerned and enquired about progress of our suite he was told very rudely by the male receptionist to shut up and not interfere. We saw him spoken to disrespectfully more than once. He is clearly a man with a passion for hospitality running through his veins and is a major asset for Quay Grand and it’s a shame that some staff does not recognise his value and treat him disrespectfully.

Our request concerning daily suite servicing times were recorded by the male receptionist on his screen but this information unfortunately never found it’s way to housekeeping – so after a few days we found them – they were unaware of the request - and we negotiated directly with them and things were perfect from then on.

We also had problems with the so-called broadband. On an extended stay we brought no DVDs with us and were planning and relying on using the broadband to keep up to date with TV and news at home using our VPN. But the property does not offer broadband, as the line speed before contention is below the threshold to be called broadband. Broadband is a high speed internet connection exceeding as an absolute minimum 512kbps. I tested the line several times and the SHARED line speed was at times 300kbps and others 499kbps (0.5mbps) and my share of it maxed at around 50k (0.05mbps) but it was mostly 6k (0.006mbps). 50k as a maximum speed is totally unacceptable even if it were free of charge – and it is very expensive. It is incorrect to describe this as broadband. A few resets at reception didn’t cure the problem. When I asked why it was so poor I was told it was because of my excessive use of it which was then itemised out to me and compared to other suites. Apparently, even this limited internet access is rationed.

We also found cockroaches – very large menacing ones.

I’d also like to see some new reasonable quality pillows, a decent or renewed bed where if one person moves the other isn’t trampolined out, and some aging appliances replaced. The reception is often obliging and helpful but it’s patchy and clearly there is an attitude or training problem with at least one person in particular who marred our stay. I have been sending around a dozen or so new people a year there to my certain knowledge, but not really thanked for doing so (very easy thing to do) and this year’s stay was disappointing for the reasons stated. Hospitality is as good as its weakest link(s).

The location is stunning, and the suites large and the breakfast great. Mirvac seem to get good occupancy without effort. This sadly seems to be reflected in some of the complacency and attitudes that we have experienced and we therefore do not plan to return.

Sheffield, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

good:
excellent location near opera house, the Rocks, circular quay
spacious
quiet (at least in rooms that face the park)
wonderful views (of park or of harbour)
great breakfast

bad:
pool is indoor (but elegant)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

This is part of the Mirvac Group and I have used their serviced suites many times before - however, I had never been to The Quay Grand.

Things didn't start well. We arrived on an early flight and I had taken the trouble to e mail the hotel a few days before to request an early check-in and ask for some flowers to be organised for the room. I didn't receive any reply. When we arrived the receptionist (an early 30's man) quickly told us that they were fully booked and that there was no chance of an early check in. Though disappointed, I accepted that they were under no obligation to help as the official check-in wasn't until the afternoon, but his somewhat arrogant attitude was unfortunate. However, five minutes later, whilst still completing the forms he'd given us, he suddenly announced that he'd managed to re-organise things and was able to get us a room immediately. We were then shown to our room which, lo and behold, had the flowers sitting in a vase that I'd requested! It became obvious that, when we'd arrived, he hadn't checked his booking system and, on discovering his mistake, rather than come clean he'd suggested he'd done us a massive favour.

Having said that, the room was good, the view spectacular (down on to Circular Quay and across to the bridge) and the location perfect. The service from the other members of staff was flawless. The only slight frustration was the internet connection was poor - very slow by International standards and, to add insult to injury, expensive.

There is a reasonable indoor pool there and a small (very small) gym.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
qgss, Manager at Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
We try our best to check guests in early but cannot however guarantee early check in if we are full. In this case we were fully booked but had 1 room with a maintenance issue which we were able to fix in time for the guest to check in early. The flowers where ordered and waiting in the back office, the duty manager had them sent to the room before the guest was sent up. So there was no booking issue as stated and the guest was fortunate to have an early check in.
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I decided to write this review as I have noticed a few others mentioning the cockroaches. Everything about this hotel is fantastic but it does have a cockroach problem. We have stayed twice about a month apart. It was because we loved it so much that we went back for my husbands 50th. The first time we never saw a cockroach but the second time they were all over the apartment. It really freaked me out as they are big. I couldn't sleep properly at night as I was worried about them crawling on me. Although housekeeping came and sprayed this did not get them under control and we went and brought our own cockroach spray which we used everywhere. After that every morning when we got up there were dead ones lying all over the floor. When we mentioned it to the guy on the desk he said that was just Sydney but I have never encountered this problem in any other hotel or apartment we have stayed in. Because of this I feel I cannot go back until they get this under control. It is unfortunate because the location etc is brilliant.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Pullman Quay Grand Sydney Harbour? Share your experiences!