“Reasonable Hotel but Staff lacking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Metro Hotel on Pitt

Save Saved
You added Metro Hotel on Pitt to your Saves list
Metro Hotel on Pitt
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Pitt Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly Pentura on Pitt)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #100 of 182 hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Reasonable Hotel but Staff lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had flown from Perth to pick up a cruise and booked 3 rooms for 1 night on 30th of November
I have to say I have stayed in many hotels and while the hotel lacked amenities like pool etc the rooms were quite good and we had no issue.
The location was also good
However, what we did have a problem with was the attitude of the staff at reception .
We had purchased these rooms and paid up front some months ago
We arrived around 3.30pm, there was 7 of us including 3 children. When checking in I was told that a deposit of $100 per room is required and I must admit I was a bit tired and objected to it.
The guy indicated it was policy and asked for a credit card.
I indicated I have no problem with that as long as the money is credited on the day we leave.
I was told no, It will be done in a few days which seems to be a standard business practice of late where people take your money as a bond then put it back when they feel like it.
I said no I was not prepared to do that so he told us we pay or go somewhere else.
In the end to diffuse what was becoming ugly, I indicated I could give cash and handed over $300
Then, when we got the receipts for each room and one had 0 on it.
My partner then bought that to his attention that $100 deposit does not equal 0 and he rolled his eyes at her and printed another receipt with the correct amount on it
What I find strange is we paid months before our stay over $700
The hotel had no bar, no restaurant so why the $100
When we checked out we rang for a taxi which did not turn up.
Thank you so much to the nice man in the black suit who arranged taxi's for us

Room Tip: upgrade to executive room, there is a lounge room with another toilet and very spacious
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Lisa K, Manager at Metro Hotel on Pitt, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Robycoll
Thank you for your feedback, I am not certain that you are commenting on this hotel, as there is a restaurant on the ground floor when you enter the building. We do have an incidental policy, regarding pre-authorisations; guests have access to minibar, telephone and the restaurant, this is general practice in all hotels, as unfortunately it is required for obvious reasons. I wish you well with your travels and I certainly hope you enjoyed your cruise. Kind Regards – Lisa Kapinski – Property Manager

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

At first glance you may feel this hotel is rough around the edges and you're right. However if you look a little more you'll notice it has all that you may need for the right price.

Rooms were spacious and had good lighting. Bathroom and shower also spacious. TV was good quality and overall a comfortable room. A/C worked and was available to use.

Check in was good and staff friendly. Situated next door to a quaint cafe which again may seem a little rough on edges but decent food for a decent price (incl a 16 dollar breakfast buffet of typical breakfast food).

Finally the location is very good and your steps from a variety of must see areas within Sydney.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the metro and would say its worth consideration if balancing quality and price.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Cosgroa
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us, I am glad that the Metro exceeded your expectations; we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards Lisa Kapinski – Property Manager
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We chose the hotel for our five day stay, because of its location. As tourists, we were within short walking distance to very many attractions.

The staff was kind and helpful - they advised us to a good-quality steak restaurant. Their information about post card price to Europe was however different from the price we were told later in the Post office.

Our room was Executive Deluxe Queen Room on the 5th floor. It faced the yard and was quiet, which naturally was a bonus. On the other hand we did not have anything to see...The room was clean, but furniture was a little bit of older style and worn-out. When in bed, I could observe directly in front of me the contours of the corridor door from lights emerging in from all sides. In the shower, I required a hand-shower, to make washing easier and since the floor was a bit slippery

The hotel rates itself as a four-star hotel. Personally I do not agree that for many reasons.

The lobby is very small, offering seats only for a handful of people.

When I tried to use the computer available for public use, it stopped working several times, and on our departure day, we had great difficulties when we tried to print our travel documents.

The weakest part was, however the breakfast included into our room price. Every morning it was exactly the same. Only interesting point was the contents of the fruit salad, if we could find only apple slices or could we find also some other fruit pieces. The coffee was terrible.

The furniture and the style in the breakfast room made me think of furniture you normally see in a work place canteen - not in a four-star hotel.

Dear Kariheiki
Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay at the hotel, the property is located in the heart of Sydney very close to all the major attractions. I am happy that you found the staff welcoming and you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant. The property is undergoing refurbishment this year, which will alleviate many of your concerns, the hotel is indeed a 4 Star property, although Management does not agree with some of your comments, we certainly wish you well in your travels. Kind Regards Lisa Kapinski – Property Manager
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and was immediately impressed with friendly and helpful staff. I had previously contacted reservations to explain that I would be arriving from the UK approx 10am in the morning and it would be appreciated if a quiet room could be made available immediately on arrival particularly after such a long flight. Needless to say everything was as requested and reception assisted me with baggage to the room. The accommodation was reasonably spacious with plenty of storage, clean if a little dated. The buffet breakfast was a bit bland and ordinary so opted for poached eggs; these turned out to be the best cooked eggs of my entire 4 week holiday which included a cruise. Location absolutely perfect and with easy walking distance of most sights with shopping and eating places on doorstep; would highly recommend Westfield Centre level 5 for food court. On departure staff went onto roadside and hailed a taxi for me. All in all would commend this hotel for short stay where you can be assured the best of welcomes.

Room Tip: Higher floor not overlooking main road
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa K, Manager at Metro Hotel on Pitt, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear teejayengland

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. I am extremely pleased that you found the staff helpful and friendly and I hope you travel again from the UK and stay with us again in the future. Kind Regards Lisa Kapinski - Property Manager.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We spent only one night here and were struck by the cheapness of our surroundings. The bathroom door gave the impression of soaked cardboard that was coming apart at the bottom. However, the place was clean and the reception staff very pleasant and helpful, as were the cleaning staff. We went out for dinner, but thought we'd try the dining room for breakfast the next day. It was uninviting and there was a sad atmosphere. We sat on a sofa with stained and dirty covers and waited in hope of being served. We were pointedly ignored by waiter on dut. Wye might have tried serving ourselves from the buffet, but there were no cups available, so persuading the serving staff to help would have been the only option. We did take a look at the drab buffet food, which didn't inspire us to go on waiting, so we went elsewhere. We were struck by the fact that the restaurant was named "Il Paradiso'. "Il Purgatorio" would have been more apt!

Dear merb
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay at the hotel and the Front Desk and Housekeeping staff. My apologies that you were not happy with your dining experience, your comments have definitely been passed to the Restaurant Manager, for his action. Kind Regards
Lisa Kapinski – Property Manager
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at Metro Hotel on Pitt St, Sydney, for several nights, towards the end of 2012. The hotel has a great location downtown, right at the centre of things. Lots of restaurants and shopping places nearby. It is also right next to the monorail (which, however, closed down in June 2013).

The room was smallish, but clean and self-contained. The staff were courteous and prompt--something that worked well for me as I wanted a taxi at 3:30 in the morning. The toilets were well provided with accessories and the breakfast was adequate.

In summary, Metro hotel was great value for my budget, which was relatively modest.

In summary,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear SierraBravo

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us in 2012. I hope we will welcome you back in 2014. Kind Regards Lisa Kapinski - Property Manager
Maitland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was looking for an overnighter, a place to stay in the CBD without the CBD price tag. The service was quick and efficient. The superior deluxe room was sizeable, clean and adequate. There was a promo deal offering a bottle of wine and a 2 for 1 drink voucher. I didn't eat or attend the bar at the motel; there is a plethora of cafe's, restaurants and entertainment on the doorstep. Parking is at the World Square car park, about a block away from the motel. It wasn't a hassle to use this car park. The motel is central when travelling by all means. Town Hall and St James stations are a very short walk. It is walking distance to many of the city's attractions; shopping, cinema's, museum, China Town. Good stay overall.

Room Tip: The superior deluxe was comparable to other city locations I have stayed. I understand the standard...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Brendan S
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay with us, we have a lovely friendly team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind Regards Lisa Kapinski - Property Manager

Been to Metro Hotel on Pitt? Share your experiences!