“Great Base” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour

You added Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour to your Saves list
Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Murray Street | Darling Harbour, Pyrmont, Sydney, New South Wales 2009, Australia   |
Special Offer
Early Booker
Ranked #71 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
London, United Kingdom
“Great Base”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

We stayed in Sydney for 4 nights on our Honeymoon, the Novotel on Darling Harbour was perfect for location. The hotel didn't recognise the honeymoon offer we had selected with our travel provider so no surprises for room type, or in the room, only real downside after that was we backed on to the lift shaft so had the constant drown of the lifts, but i was too jet lagged to care!

The hotel i'd describe as a business hotel, the rooms were average and the communal areas appeared rather dark and dated with their brown walls! However this was just a base for us so we didn't worry too much.

Breakfast at the hotel was pretty much the same as most hotels, only fault in this area was the breakfast layout meant everyone was gathered in one area for their cold breakfasts (seperate hot servery) and annoying toasters that gave you nothing but warm bread!

Visit Paddy's Market for a fun experiance, take in a meal at Steersons for the best steak ever, and if you can afford it then a meal at Centrepoint is a must! Particularly at sunset!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
GM-Accor-DH, Front Office Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, May 11, 2010
Dear hunbun81,

Thank you for your review of the Novotel Sydney Darling Harbour.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your Honeymoon with the amenities provided by the hotel.

Thank you for the feedback provided on the restaurant setup for breakfast .This is beneficial to providing that extra service to guest.

We value your partronage and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Lorraine Mercuri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
ADELAIDE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

My husband and I have stayed at this Hotel several times the last time being the 22nd April 2010 just the one night. We had booked a Luxury Harbour View Room.
The young lady that checked us in at reception was far from welcoming and certainly was not friendly. I noted whilst waiting that she just did not smile at anyone. Perhaps she was just having a bad day however it is my opinion that these front desk reception employees play a very important part as they are your first impression of a hotel and can affect how you judge it. They are usually the first point of contact. Checked in we went off to our room on the fifth floor, the room contained a smaller than expected window which provided a somewhat restricted view of the end of Darling Harbour, the bed looked not much larger than a double bed size and did not look at all inviting, and later proved to be quited uncomfortable. Not what one would expect from a luxury room.
The bathroom accessories were limited to conditioning shampoo and soap which I thought was rather poor provision for a luxury room. I was told when checking out that if you require anything extra that you have to ask for it. One would think then that this be the case that there would be a notice in the bathroom to advise you of these facts. The bathroom could have been cleaner as could have the room which had dirty marks on the carpet and dirty finger marks over the entrance doors and other doors. As I am particular about cleanliness I cleaned the areas not up to my expected standard with my hand wipes. There was also a glass that had what looked like the remains of lipstick on the rim. My overall impression was that the room and bathroom had only had a very quick clean.
We had lunch, dinner and breakfast at the hotel and have no complaints about the staff or the food service in this area.. We have supported this chain of hotels throughout our travels overseas and in Australia and have a Platinum A-club an indication of our support.
Yesterday through the post we received an invoice with an added charge stating it was for undeclared mini bar usage for beer and mixed spirits neither of which my husband or I drink. This had obviously been charged to our visa card. You can imagine how annoyed we were when we at no time accessed the mini bar. One would think that a telephone call just to check whether you perhaps did use the mini bar and forgot would have made for good public relations. I have telephoned the hotel and I must admit the person that took my call was extremely nice and most apologetic however he advised me to put my complaints in writing and address them to the Hotel Management. This I have done and I am now awaiting their reply. I see by reading Trip Advisor that I am not the only one to be billed for mini bar that they did not use. I wish I had research this hotel on Trip Advisor prior to our visit and I would have been better prepared or booked somewhere else.
This hotel charges in the higher price range, a price range that one would make one expect a much better quality than it presents., generally for us this hotel was a let down.

Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

We went to Sydney for a short honeymoon getaway and for work training in April.
The hotel is in a superb location, located in a quieter section of Sydney overlooking Darling Harbour and next to a shopping mall. We got harbour views on 7th floor and the views through windows were amazing. Check-in was very quick and staff from the concierge to reception, were friendly.

The hotel exudes a modern and upmarket feel. But don't be fooled. For the price you pay, you are only paying for the view and location, and that's it. For the money you pay, I get the feeling that hotel management is rather stingy in providing the little extras. They do not provide complimentary toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, shaving cream, shower cap, sanitary bag for the ladies, not even complimentary bottled water. The hotel sells toothpaste at a pricey $4. With liquid and gel restrictions when travelling by air and carrying handbag only, the hotel by not providing complimentary toothpaste, toothbrush and shaving cream was rather annoying. The only complimentary things were liquid shampoo, mini soap bars and shower gel that were stocked in the bathroom. Some things are complimentary on request, like disposable slippers, but we only found out after reading the small print in the hotel guest booklet. I think management is hoping that guests won't read this in the name of saving costs. Don't expect these little extras like you find in similar priced hotels, especially in Asia. It seems like the wallet in this place is full of moths.

I seem to agree with other reviewers here: the bed was rather uncomfortable. The mattress was well past its use by date as there was hardly any cushioning support left. You were literally sleeping on spring coils. The mattress was uneven and on my side, was sloping downwards.

We booked a harbour view room which was great but beware the windows are rather dirty. It seems the hotel is on a very tight budget and only clean windows once in a blue moon.

The newspapers were not delivered to our room, but other rooms had them. Perhaps they differentiate guests depending on the rate they pay.

This hotel mainly targets corporate travellers. It offers convenient express check-out by encouraging guests to place rooms keys in an envelope and dropping it inside a box at reception area. If you like a corporate type hotel with less personalised service, this is the place to be. The hotel does not cater for honeymooners as it is reluctant to even place a couple of chocolates in the room upon arrival.

Don't get me wrong, There is a positive point with this hotel: the staff are professional and friendly. The concierge on the base floor does acknowledge and greet you. When we requested a pair of slippers late at night, Paul, a reception staff, delivered them within 5 minutes and with a smile.

In summary:

Plus points - location, quiet, Darling Harbour views, efficient and friendly staff, express check-out.

Negative points - feels like a low frills hotel, just above Ibis Hotel. They only provide soap, liquid shower gel and shampoo in the bathroom. There are no cups provided in the bathroom to place a toothbrush and toothpaste in. Not even bottled water is provided. The mattress has run out of lives and seriously needs replacing.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
GM-Accor-DH, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Dear Kretek1

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

We have many Honeymoon couples staying with us that enjoy the hotel and facilities., however we clearly did not meet your expectations on occassions and for this we appologise.

Further to the amenities noted in your feedback are all complimentary and provided upon request as per our brand standard. Cups are no longer placed in the bathroom for health reasons.

Mattresses are replaced on a regular cycle as part of our clinical mattress upkeep and the the mattress in the room you stayed in has since been replaced.

Window cleaning is annual and was completed last week.

Kretek1, please accept our sincere apologies for the anormalies you experienced during your stay. We would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at the Novotel and being on the sixth floor in a twin room the view overlooking Darling Harbour was simply spectacular.

The room was modern and clean and had enough room to move around easy. The double bed in the room was not that comfortable and I did not get the best sleep, but other than that the room was nice.

I found the staff gave excellent service and were always happy to help open a door or just help you out.

We dined in the restaurant in the hotel one morning but it really was overpriced for what you get - $29 for a full breakfast is a bit much and terribly expensive. I would not be doing that again.

The hotel is very close to Darling Harbour which is easy to get to. I enjoyed my stay here even though it is a bit pricey, the view and location made it worth it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
GM-Accor-DH, Executive Office at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Dear heytherek,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your stay at Novotel Sydney Darling Harbour.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay even though the bed did not provide a proper sleep.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Darling Harbour in the not too distant future.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We stayed three nights in April in an upgraded room, I think it was a deluxe. We had a room on the 3rd floor the first night - it was big, comfortable bed and a good bathroom. The view was ok, but not spectacular and that's what we wanted. We asked and were moved for the next 2 nights, to the 9th floor, with a great view, really wonderful. A big room, very nice in all ways. Our room was next to the elevator, but we did not hear it. Internet was not free, but ok for the price - $10 for 2 hours.

The hotel is being renovated, it's not that the hotel is in bad shape, but it is a bit tired, and the furnishings look out of date. Breakfast was good, big range, it was school holidays and there was lots of families and lots of kids, but there was lots of tables as well. We got a seat straight away each morning. We had one dinner in the hotel - nice but pricey. The pool is not heated. It was too cold for me early in the morning, this was April, but I was told it was ok later in the day.

There's lots to do around the hotel, and there's a good shopping mall next to it. To get to the hotel, we took the train from the airport, then the tram to Darling Harbour - total $36 each. We took the shuttle bus back, slightly cheaper, and it took about the same time.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear RedPuffin,

Thank you for your review of the Novotel Sydney Darling Harbour.

Great to hear you enjoyed the many facilities the hotel offers in the heart of Darling Harbour.

Thank you for taking the time to appreciate the refresh of the Lobby area.

We look forward to your next stay with Novotel Sydney Darling harbour.

melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

okay the hotels location is its selling point....

of course it looks like they are starting to do a revamp in the reception area.
so maybe the apperance of the hotel will get a face lift....

yes the hotel is clean, tidy comfortable, was treated well by staff.
it ticked all my boxes.

l enjoyed the location and the room was good didnt have a problem with the bed
we did have a romantic weekend.

had great views of the harbour, at night it looked great....

bathroom was big enough for the two of us. clean....

enjoyed my time there.. yes it is a little overprice for the standard room but would only stay in that location in darling harbour....

if you dont want to spend as much for a room then stay at the hotel ibis in darling harbour they are in the same location with same views but cheaper...

however l will keep coming back to the novotel.....
ENJOYED THE HOTEL AND LOVED THE LOCATION.....
CLOSE TO EVERTHINGGGGGG.......

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
GM-Accor-DH, Executive Office at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, April 20, 2010
Dear Lizsrs,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review of the Novotel Sydney Darling Harbour.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and the views of Darling Harbour!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Warm regards

Brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

The location is awesome - right in the Harbour. Unfortunately that is where the positives ended for us. The room was average - not bad, just not at all what we expected of a four star hotel and definately not what we expected of the Novotel. For the $ I think we could have done better. The service was what really made the whole experience unpleasant and downright painful. The dirty dishes left in the halls for days and the housekeeper busting into our room unannounced were annoying and dissapointing but the real issues started after we left. We were charged three times for the total of our stay leaving us to deal with the embarrasment of declined transactions when attempting to make other purchases on the Easter long weekend interstate. Then we were charged for the minibar purchases of the people that stayed in the room the following night! After making numerous phone calls to the hotel to explain the situation and attempt to rectify it we were met with unhelpful and downright rude employees who did not even try to sound interested. After a week and many empty promises of a call back we finally got on to a staff member who despite being told by a superior to pass our enquiry on understood our frustration and sorted the matter out. It really shouldn't have been that hard. We will NEVER stay at this hotel nor any Novotel again I am afraid.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
GM-Accor-DH, Executive Office at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, April 11, 2010
Dear Shaen,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Sydney Darling Harbour. I regret that your experience did not meet your expectations during your stay.

Please accept my profuse apologies for the several lapses in our service standards.

The level of service you encountered was unacceptable and not at all typical of the high standards that we constantly strive to achieve.

Rest assured that I have shared your comments with my team to ensure these service shortfalls are addressed immediately.

Lorraine Mercuri

Been to Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour? Share your experiences!