“WOW” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Sydney

You added Mercure Sydney to your Saves list
Mercure Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   818 - 820 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #49 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Forster, Australia
“WOW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

It is so wonderful to be treated like your important when you stay at hotels
The front of house girls are just fantastic, this is not our first stay, nothing is to much trouble. The Mecure should start training othwer staff around Sydney

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, glad to hear that you value our staff so much. I was pleased to hear that you found our staff to be so helpful and fantastic.

Greg Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The staff were very accommodating & went out of there way to make my stay enjoyable. I asked for an upgrade & they were able to give me that. Very friendly staff, great location in central Sydney. Good value too

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I was pleased to hear that you valued our staff's service provided to you.

Springfield, Il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is the Sydney Mercure on Pitt St. Near Central Station. First of all, our flight from LAX, landed at 6:15am and by the time we got through Customs and caught our shuttle, we got to the hotel at 9am. We thought how nice would be to be able to check in, unpack, clean-up and hit Sydney for a full day of exploring. But we thought it would be too early for them to give us a room. Boy, was I wrong...I walked up to check-in, gave my name and 5 minutes if not less, we were in our room! What a fantastic way to start our holiday! Thank you Mercure! You earned 5 stars just for that! It was like we had an 6 hours that day.

Our room was very nice, had a nice view of the bus depot right below us and downtown Sydney. The room was always clean. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The concierge staff was always very helpful with maps, directions, whatever we needed. I asked one staff where the nearest American Express office and he pulled it up on his PC and showed us on a map. Very friendly staff. Very accommodating! They also have a nice bar on the main floor that offers daily specials.

For my wife and I, we loved the hotel's location. You're about 6 blocks from Darling Harbor; 3 blocks from Chinatown and near, within a few blocks of the free bus line. It's one block from Central Station which access through a tunnel across the street from the hotel and at the front door of the hotel is a bus station. On our second day there, we stepped outside and took the bus to Bondi beach; on our third day we went to Central Station we grabbed the train to the Blue Mountains. Are you with walking distance to Circular Quay? Not really unless you want to walk at least a mile, maybe more. We walked a lot and found the hole to be in a great location for our first visit to Sydney. One hint - as you look at the map of the free bus that runs daily through CBD, realize the map is not to scale. It's actually a much larger area than it looks like. Bring some good walking shoes; buy a bus pass or pay for a taxi and you'll be fine.

Excellent hotel!

Room Tip: Face downtown above the bus depot.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, glad to hear that you enjoyed our location. I was pleased to hear that you found our rooms to be nice and our buffet excellent.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mercure Sydney on George Street with my parents and brother who came to visit me. Booking was made through the phone, whom the person signed me up for their accor membership? She was a little pushy with the membership, but since it doesn't cost, it didn't bother me much.

Location of the hotel was terrific. Central station was just a short distance away. There was also some fast food restaurants and convenience store close by. Arrived at the hotel earlier than standard check in time, checking in was simple and pretty fast. Receptionist seems to be on training and provided me with wrong information. The room rate I booked on was prepaid, upon check in, I reconfirmed if it was prepaid, she advised me that it hasn't been paid for yet. However I recalling exchanging emails with the reservations department, who asked me for alternative credit card details because the first one didn't go through. Having told the receptionist about it, she then asked me whom I was contacting with. And then finally having to tell me yes, it was prepaid. It wasn't a big issue, didn't bother me much. That membership I signed up for at point of booking? It wasn't recognised either. I don't see how the membership works also.

Room was a little small for 2 doubles, but not an issue since most of the time we'll be out anyway. The only downside was that the room was a little dark, would be better if the room had better lighting. Everything else in the room as fine. Didn't expect any views, but I did not expect to be facing a brick wall just across the road that looked dirty? I kept my curtains shut the whole time I was in the room. Housekeeping was fast when we requested for dental kits and bedroom slippers to be brought up. Only requested for the room to be made up for 1 day, and it was done well. It was well cleaned, almost spotless. Concierge was really helpful in assisting with the tour bookings that I made. Very thankful for that.

The thing that bothers me most is the knocking and drilling noise I woke up to daily. It was a 5 nights stay, and I got woken up by the knocking and drilling noise every morning. On the last day I finally couldn't take it. I rang up the operator to check if there was any renovation works going on in the hotel (there wasn't any information provided in the room, nor was I informed upon check in.) She then informed me that there are some renovation ongoing on level 8, but since I stayed on level 10, the renovation must be pretty major for me to hear the noises. She then said she'd check and ring me back. after about 3 minutes, someone knocked on my door (despite the sign outside that reads "Do Not Disturb".) I had thought it was the manager to come to understand what kind of noise I was hearing. When i opened the door, a porter stood in front of me with his trolley and asked if I rang up for luggage assistance?! That drove me nuts. First it was the drilling noise, then it was the luggage assistance that I never requested for? I explained to him that all I needed assistance with was to find out where that noise was coming from. He didn't appear to be surprise that I didn't need the assistance also? After what seemed like 10 minutes, I received a call from the operator I spoke with earlier, informing me that the renovation works was on level 9, which explains why I was able to hear it on level 10. There was no apologies at all, from either of them.

I got down to the lobby at about 5 minutes past 11am to check out. The process was fast and easy, staff seemed like he was in a rush, after handing me my invoice, before I stepped away or thank him for everything, he wanted to assist another guest. I only had one last question for him, which I managed to ask. I reconfirmed if on my booking, there was this request for a quiet room, and he said yes.

Having requested for a quiet room, but I was still given a room that I could hear knocking and drilling noise? What made things worst was the fact that I could hear the noise every single morning, sounding like it came from the next room just beside me. Very very disappointing. Surely I would think twice again about staying here. Maybe it was okay for a shorter stay, but if I had another chance, I wouldn't stay with Mercure Sydney on George Street again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations on the rooms and would therefore like to apologize for the noise this was causing. I was obviously very disappointed to read about your experiences. As such I would like to speak to you personally.

If convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

Thanks again for your feedback, and look forward to speaking to you soon.

Jerrabomberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is quite a nice place, well located for Paddy's Market, Chinatown and Central Station - but lacks atmosphere. However, its price is probably too much for its quality.
Good - decent sized rooms for Sydney and large towels, good sized bathroom (if you like showering in a bath with a pull-across shower curtain), helpful staff.
Poor - room and reading lighting, bed size (the 'queens' were more like doubles, according to my wife), lack of a decent shaving mirror and light (particularly if you have fair hair and fair complexion).
Given the choice available in the area, we'd probably only go back if the price was on a special rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback you have given us and will definitely look into the aspects you found to be lacking.
We hope to welcome you back to Mercure Sydney one day.

Kind regards,
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently stayed at Mercure Sydney. Location Location Location!!!
Mercure Sydney is in George Street right opposite Central Station and is also adjacent to a major bus station. About a 5 minute walk away is a stop for the Free City 555 Bus which continually loops from George Street right down to Circular Quay and back up. The Mercure is a short distance from China Town and Paddy's Market. It is also within walking distance to Darling Harbour. There are cafes, take away restaurants and a Seven Eleven store nearby. There is also a very nice restaurant at the Mercure Sydney Hotel.
I stayed in a standard double room on the 10th floor. The room was plenty big enough for a very comfortable 4 night stay. It was very clean and modern.
At ALL TIMES I found the Mercure Staff to be very courteous, friendly and helpful. This included the Reception staff, the Concierge staff, the Housekeeping staff and the Room Service staff.
I would be very satisfied to stay at the Mercure again and I have pleasure recommending it to other Sydney visitors.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure Sydney. I was pleased to hear that you fond our staff to be very courteous and friendly.

Melbourne, Australia
1,400 reviews 1,400 reviews
3,183 helpful votes 3,183 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was going to give the hotel a 4 out of 5 due to the pleasant refurbished 10th floor room in which I stayed, but unfortunately on the Saturday afternoon when I was there, I fell backwards from the work desk chair and landed on my back (fortunately not hitting my head on the adjacent concrete room wall) so I was not injured. However the hotel maintenance man acknowledged that the hotel was (gradually) replacing these chairs as there had apparently been other instances of guests suffering the same unpleasant landing.

Hotel owner Accor is apparently refurbishing the rooms. It should immediately replace all these chairs with a more sturdy design. I cannot remember if I was rocking back a little but the chair should still be more stable.

The hotel is close to Sydney Terminal (Central) railway station and the excellent Sydney Airport Link train.

Checking in was simple.

The lifts were fast and efficient.

The 10th floor has a void looking down to the 9th floor. The hallway carpet is very dark.

The electronic room key was troublesome to my room (1020) but with the assistance of either another guest or a housekeeper, I gained access at various times.

The refurbished room had very pleasant, near new carpet. The room was a good size, the bathroom poky but thankfully the bath has been retained. It is a shower over bath arrangement. The bathroom has few tiles: it is mostly just painted.

The owner has gone to some effort with good quality minibar and warbrobe furniture. There were plenty of hangers and a large electronic safe. Tea and coffee was supplied with a generous number of sachets but there was no sugar - only artificial sweetener.

Two soap bars, combined shampoo and conditioner and separate bath gel were provided. Towels were white, fluffy and large while lighting in the bedroom was good with a small bedside halogen reading lamp on each side to minimise disturbance to one's wife or husband.

The bed was extrenely comfortable while the linen was of excellent quality. Thankfully the hotel provides a top sheet (which Australians prefer to just a doona).

There were no noise issues: the room looked out onto an 1890s building that looked quite decrepit.

Checkout was efficient although the time of 1100 should really be 1200 to accord with international practice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear guest from Melbourne,

Thank you for your review, glad to hear that you found our new refurbished rooms to be pleasing. I am sorry to hear about the chair incident and will definitely look into this for you. I was pleased to hear that beside the chair issue, you enjoyed the rest of our hotel and our facilities

Greg Brady

Been to Mercure Sydney? Share your experiences!