“Average stay great breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Sydney

You added Mercure Sydney to your Saves list
Mercure Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   818 - 820 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #52 of 184 Hotels in Sydney
Martinborough, New Zealand
“Average stay great breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our stay at mercure Sydney was a mixed bag we checked in at 11.45 pm for one night the gentleman at the front counter was less then welcoming we are accor club members and we still could t get a smile out of him .Our room was acceptable clean and tidy bed was more of a double rather then a queen as expected .The hotel has small pillow menu we asked for two contour pillows but were given to lumps covered in a pillow case which we were told were contour pillows .We then decided to make a cup of tea but only had one tea bag we rang down for some more but after 15 minutes they had not arrived .We decided to cut our losses and go to bed 5 minutes later we heard a knock on the door our tea bags arrived .We were then awoken at 7.30 am by a faint knocking next second we could here the door being unlocked a housekeeper had decided to enter our room 10 minutes later another housekeeper knocked as well . We decided to head to the restaurant for breakfast with not to much hope then having the standard hotel buffet breakfast .But to our surprise the standard and quality of food was exceptional and the staff were very friendly and offered great service . On checking out I noticed a sign in the lift advertised you could get train timetables from the concierge but when I inquired I was greeted with a blank expression sorry we don t have train timetables .So in general the breakfast and restaurant staff excellent the general hotel staff disappointed me

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear guest from Martinborough,

Thanks for your feedback. I am pleased you had such an enjoyable breakfast in Four Elements Restaurant. I was however disappointed to read that other elements of your stay did not live up to the high service standards we aim to provide. I would certainly like to discuss your feedback further. If convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

Greg Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Gladstone, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

For a very busy hotel, service was great. Very close to Central Train Station, which was why I booked this hotel. A comfortable walk to the city and close to a lot of restaurants. Room was clean and the beds comfortable. Very quiet, didn't hear any other guests at any time of the night and no traffic noise, which surprised me. Had a great nights sleep and meal in the restaurant was also very nice. Great range of food for breakfast, even if only want continental breakfast. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel.

Dear guest from Sydney,

Thanks for your feedback. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend Mercure Sydney to others guests.

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Comfortable bed and very clean room and bathroom. Ate at the restaurant for tea and the meal was very good and even better value with our Accor membership card. Location was central to shows and attractions with public transport right out the front.

Dear guest,

Thanks for posting another review on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that we continue to impress you with the quality of our facilities, location and value for money.

NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here 6+ months ago and loved it but can't say the same this time. Couldn't check in until an hour later than promoted, after three attempts to get room cleaned the reception person put us in another room but didn't explain anything - had to pick it up from her phone conversation. No apology for the delays etc either.

The room itself had a number of issues - highly scuffed walls, 3 towels instead of four (there were four of us), no bedside lamps to read by. Thick dust in areas including some of the mini-bar items.

On the upside breakfast was nice enough and we did have dinner there one night and it was very nice.

Overall this hotel seems to have gone backwards over the past 6 months - I'll probably look elsewhere next time which is a shame as liked the location in some ways. For $250+ a night I expected a little better.

Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I was disappointed to read that the experience you had during this stay was not as enjoyable as your previous stay. Feedback like yours is very important to us as we continually review and improve our services. As such it would certainly be helpful to discuss your comments further. If convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

ACT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I arrived late and tired, travelling on my own. Check in was smooth and reception were friendly. As soon as I walked into my room I realised it was a smoking room ??? I didn't realise they even existed and it stunk, unbearable. I called reception and requested a room move, that was not a problem but it was annoying waiting to move when I was so tired. My new room was on a lower floor and although clean had a weird set up and looked shabby. It was just okay, the air conditioner was really noisy and the hot water took forever to come through. House keeping didn't replace the milk and the shower soaked spilled onto the floor no matter how I fiddled with the shower head.The location was central and there are lots of transport options if you don't want to walk. I wouldn't stay again, there are better options in better locations.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thanks for your review. I appreciate the time you have taking to provide feedback on your recent stay at Mercure Sydney. If possible I would like to discuss your stay further as feedback like this is very important to us as we look to improve our services and facilities. If convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

Christchurch NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just had 5 great days at the Mercure, and seriously, could not fault it. The check-in Staff were very welcoming, efficient and helpful, as was the Concierge on duty. (Wed 26/09). Our room was spacious and immaculate.
We dined at the restaurant on 3 of the 5 nights we were there, and the quality was superb.
We loved the convenience of the Mercure, being so close to all our transportation requirements.
A return visit is assured!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear guest from Christchurch,

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a positive review. We have a passion for providing exceptional service and I am delighted that you experienced such an enjoyable stay. I will certainly share you kind words with our team.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Reception and concierge staff were very friendly and helpful. We asked for a refurbished room after reading tripadvisor comments and were offered a refurbed smoking room. We are non smokers but took the room as check in staff promised us they would move us the next day to a non smoking refurbished room. We didnt unpack that night due to moving the next day only to come home that evening and be advised that they had no rooms left and we would have to stay in the smoking room which was dissapointing. The hotel is in a great location for trains and buses and restaurants on Broadway. We only bought limited luggage with us as I had planned to use the laundry facilities only to find they were not working. Overall not a bad stay but have stayed at better.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. I was pleased to read you had an overall positive stay at Mercure Sydney. During your stay our laundry was out of service for 24 hours while a maintenance issue was rectified. I can confirm that the problems was quickly resolved but certainly apologise for the inconvenience it caused you. Thank you for providing feedback in this area as it helps us to improve our services.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Greg Brady

Been to Mercure Sydney? Share your experiences!