“Mercure Sydney Central” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Sydney

You added Mercure Sydney to your Saves list
Mercure Sydney
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   818 - 820 George Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia   |
Ranked #49 of 185 Hotels in Sydney
A TripAdvisor Member
“Mercure Sydney Central”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The hotel is located in China town close to the universities and right beside central station which makes travel by public transit very easy within the city and to suburbs of Sydney.
The food in the area was excellent with many different ethnic restaurants to chose from. The hotel front desk staff were very friendly and accomodating. The concierge service was hit or miss depening who was on staff.
The rooms, lobby and restaurant were clean and had everything you would expect. The internet fees were $5/half hour or $10/hour. They also have a 24 hour option.
The tv bill viewing option was not always correct, but when questioned at the front desk corrections were made as needed....so check your bill when you check out. We were there for 9 nights so when the charges add up you need to be diligent when reviewing your bill.
We had some issue with the TV not working properly, this was promptly attended to. We also had to request our luggage to brought to our room after we were told it would be waiting for us. Minor things overall.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear guest from Hamilton

Thanks for your feedback. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our location convenient. While I am disappointed that you had an issue with your TV, TV bill and luggage, I am very pleased that our excellent staff were able to quickly resolve the problem.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Greg Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Close to Central Station - so suited us going to the Australia Technology Centre in Redfern - was walking distance.
Reception was nice - polite staff and easy check in.
Room was small but adequate - but then the problems started:
1. Dirty flannel in the bathroom
2. Shower curtain (my pet hate) - with no fan to equalise the pressure. This meant constant battle with the curtain while trying to wash myself in a shower that was not adjustable.
3. Sheets too small (this one seems to haunt me wherever I go - why on earth don't they get sheets big enough for the beds?).
4. Internet was A$22 p/day - too expensive with free wi-fi across the road at McDonalds
5. Advertised pillow selection didn't pan out - there were none of the ones we wanted left.

Also, the decor was dated and the cupboards were cheap and didn't quite fit together.

Not a generous place. Barely adequate for a short business trip. The good thing was that it was sound proof is such a busy location.

Dear guest from Auckland,

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed our convenient location and received a good service from our friendly staff. I am, however disappointed to hear that you faced some issues during our stay. It is certainly not the standard of service that we aim to provide to our guest.

If convenient, I would like to speak with you further about your stay. Please contact the hotel directly (our phone number is on our website) and ask to speak with myself.

Orange, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We regulary use this hotel both for work and pleasure. The location is great - just a short walk ot China Town and not much furhter into the CBD. The parking cost is very reasonable, although it does tend to fill up very quickly. On a whole this is a clean and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest from Bathurst,

Thanks for your positive feedback at TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you have stayed with us on multiple occasions for both work and leisure. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our convenient location and parking facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Sydney again soon.

Bali, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

It was a disappointing stay at the Mercure in Sydney. They charge $22 per day for the internet and it takes two minutes to load a page which is very frustrating when trying to get work done. The rooms are dark and dull and in need of a refurb and better lighting. Housekeeping one day left my door open, I called down to complain and was assured that someone would come up and read the lockset to establish who had left the door open (fortunately my laptop and ipad were still there) - however no one turned up. Room Service was average and the trays were left on the corridor till midday the following day which gives you a good indication of the management. I inadvertently left a usb in the business centre which they had automatically sent to the wrong room, since I was in a rush in the morning to leave I said I would come back later, when I returned to enquire they told me that a usb was never found! The cleanliness was not up to much and the back of the bathroom door was filthy! (probably still is!) Overall very disappointing and would never go back
The room cleanliness was

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear guest from Bali,

Thanks for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you had several bad experiences during your stay with us. At the Mercure Sydney we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service to all of our guest and it certainly not the standard that you experienced.

We hope to welcome you at the Mercure Sydney back again.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Mecure Sydney is very well located near Central Railway Station, so is easy for travellers who do not wish to drive in the city. It is also easy walking distance to Cina Town and the main shoping area of the city, and entertainment areas too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest from Wollongong,

Thanks for your review at Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our convenient location and it helped you easily explore the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Greg Brady

Been to Mercure Sydney? Share your experiences!